MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/12/2011 09:39 AM

essential tremor and vitamin D(page 3)

rcbaker200

There is no question that ET like so many other conditions has a strong genetic component, but most conditions have multiple contributing causes. Low vitamin D does have interaction with serotonin metablism, so in someone who is genetically prone to ET, it can be the "straw the breaks the camel's back."

According to your experience, we already know you only went from 14 to 17 on a big dose, so my guess is that 5000 units a day is not going to be enough, but i don't tell anyone to take more without rechecking the level.

268.9 is the code for vit. d deficiency, my experience is that insurance that pays for blood tests will pay for it even if it's repeated a few times the first year, although by the second year i test only once or twice a year.

Good luck.

05/15/2011 04:18 PM
Boon959
Boon959  

The Reason why Vitamin D is so important is because Calcium cannot be absorbed without vitamin D. Calcium deficiency (hypocalcemia) symptoms include muscle spasms, tics, tremors. An ionized calcium test is the most accurate to pick up a true deficiency. Calcium - 1000mg a day. Optimal vitamin D levels - 80ng/ml or 200nmol/l. Vitamin D is cruical to activate the immune system, and clinical trials showed vitamin D with calcium reduced cancer rates by 77%. 5000IU of vitamin D a day is recommended. Magnesium is needed for calcium assimulation and a co-factor for vitamin D. Magnesium deficiency also causes tremors and muscle spasms

Boon

05/15/2011 06:14 PM
rcbaker200

It looks like IETF has a total lack of understanding of what I have said on this forum about my experience with ET & Vitamin D.

I have searched the internet & MEDLINE and have said I found NO STUDY OR CASE REPORT linking them.Therefore what I did was take my experience (and my DX of ET was correct), found that there is an obscure reference to Vit D & serotonin.I therefore prosed a THEORY that Vit. D insufficiency may be a useful treatment (or in my case, cure) of ET.

I am happy the writer (sounds like a neurologist) sent the question to the medical advisory board.But because I have already done considerable medical studies searching, I know that (unless they find something I was unable to find), their answer will most likely be there is no published evidence that shows a connection.However I also could not find any study that connected has been done to test this theory, nor could I find anyone who ever has come up with the theory before). Don't forget Vit D levels have only been widely ordered in the last 6 years, and few doctors (& no neurologists) have ordered over 3500 levels, as I have since 2005.

So in summary if the Medical Advisory Board comes to any other conclusion other than no studies have been done and there is no evidence, I would be surprised.

However IETF with all due respect has already revealed his/her bias. He/she states "here are the facts" and then completely fabricates a fact totally out of the air. I didn't fabricate any fact; I simply reported an observation & proposed a theory.

Robert Baker MD Primary Care Internal Medicine

By the way, he/she calls vit. D a supplement linking them with other things. Vit D isn't even a vitamin & my treatment was based on a definitely insufficienc blood level -most people who take supplements of various minerals and supplements do not have blood levels that reveal a deficiency.

12/13/2011 06:20 AM
gapmiller

I wanted to add my experience to this thread. I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor over 10 years ago. Even before the diagnosis I noticed that the symptoms seemed to vary with diet, but could never pin down what the relationship was. Last month (Nov. 11) I went in for a physical and the doctor told me that my vitamin D levels were low and he recommended that I take 4000 IU per day.

I just noticed today that the shakiness from Essential Tremor was almost completely gone and the increase in vitamin D is the only change I have made in my lifestyle so I went to my old friend Google to find out if there was a link between vitamin D and Essential Tremor. I was surprised to find so little actual research about a possible link between vitamin D and Essential Tremor.

The reason I am posting in this thread is to add my experience to his as another person who has been 'cured' or at least dramatically reduced the symptoms of Essential Tremor by taking vitamin D supplements. If there is enough anecdotal evidence, maybe doctors will take an interest in doing more research.

12/14/2011 06:36 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

Hi

Very interesting. I have a light I use everyday for SAD. do you think this could help ( even a little)?

12/14/2011 04:04 PM
gapmiller

Possibly. I live in a sunny part of the U.S. so access to sunlight is easy, but I am very light skinned and I burn very easily. I tend to use a lot of sun screen if I can't avoid sun exposure.

12/14/2011 04:53 PM
rcbaker200

The response would depend on how high the vitamin D level has been raised by the sunlight.

I am happy to hear of another case of essential tremor that improves or goes away with vitamin D. I am surprised the response was so quick, when my tremor stopped I didn't relate it to vitamin D at first so I'm not sure exactly how long it was for it to go away.

The reason there has not been a lot of research on so many things related to vitamin D is because it is so very inexpensive that the problem would be who is going to fund the research? Drug companies fund research but only when there is a possibility of profiting from a drug.

09/26/2012 09:43 AM
janishpatel

I have tremors in my hand that effect my writing, any tips to improve, I take propranolol and primidone.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved