MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/22/2008 01:53 PM

Keppra?

Irishgirl77
Irishgirl77  

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience - good or bad - with Keppra. My doc just added this to my med therapy.

Thanks!!

01/22/2008 08:34 PM
cocomonster
cocomonster  

I havent tried it. the information from the drug company tells the side effects and usually tells how common they are. 'at least one of mine did. try going to some different chats here where others may take keppra. I cant imagine it is only for epilepsy.

01/25/2008 10:52 AM
Bronzey
Bronzey  

i just switched to keppra yesterday when i went for my check up.. The first meds didnt work for me it made me breakout in a very bad rash.. Have u started takin it yet? Have you noticed any side effects?

01/26/2008 10:58 PM
cocomonster
cocomonster  

i am not going to take keppra it is not one my neurologist suggested. i am on lamictol and gabitrol for the epilepsy, I started taking paxil again, i was on it about 2 years ago. it helped with my depression, but the depression came from my anxiety/panic which came after a seizure. Have you gone on the official keppra website. it will be easy to find, especially if you know the drug company. I dont know if every pharmacist does this. when i go on a new med, they print out a thing about how to take the drug, the precautions and the main side effects and possible effects. ask your pharmacist if he/she does that. even if you go to safeway or something

02/16/2008 11:18 AM
Bronzey
Bronzey  

i've been on keppra for 3 weeks now its good.. i've used lamictol and it was terrible(sorry to say) i started getting blurry vision and very bad pain in my abdomin and lots of tremors and some bleeding in Urine and bad headaches almost every day and i ended up breakin out in a VERRY bad rash.. i hated it.. i was only on that for 2 weeks!!.. but after i changed to keppra i've been doin much better.. hows lamictol workin for ya?

02/17/2008 02:27 PM
cocomonster
cocomonster  

I am glad the Keppra is working for you. Lamictol has been very good for me. I did not have those side effects luckily. Hope you are well. Cora

03/28/2008 05:08 PM
doubledelightjs
doubledelightjs  

Hi Krystle & Cora,

I am on Lamictal and Dilantin right now. I was on Keppra (like I said in one of my other posts I wish I would have written down why I had stopped taking each medicine because I don't remember with all of them exactly what all side effects that I had), I do know why I stopped taking Tegretol, it turns out I am allergic to it (I broke out in a rash). I went today to Metro Technology Center & took a CMA Update class, last year the topic was Dementia (Alzheimers, Parkinsons, Multiple Sclerosis, Huntingtons Disease), this year the topic was Epilepsy (needless to say I past the test), I even talked to the class about my experience of having epilepsy.

Well I better go for now, Sonia

03/29/2008 12:13 PM
cocomonster
cocomonster  

sonia, what is a cma update class? Is it for certain people only?

03/29/2008 12:55 PM
doubledelightjs
doubledelightjs  

Cora,

A CMA is a Certified Medication Aide, I work in a Adult Day Care Center so I have to be certified to be able to give the participants medication, so I go once a year to keep my certification current ( my certification expires on 3/31/08 so this was the last chance I was able to take a class before my card expired). We have a nurse that gives the medications, there are 2 other program assistance besides me (whichever one is on the 7:45 to 4:15 shift) will give the medications that day in the nurses abscence.

04/03/2008 10:20 PM
cocomonster
cocomonster  

It is great that you are still doing this type of work. it is so important. my grandmother has a caregiver, she is able to live at home and do things for herself, its her memory. so she doesnt need a crn yet. she is 93!

Well, my job has still not started, monday and wednesday i go to an orientation. I am looking forward to working again. Im glad i can since my anxiety is better. i still have moments of course. How are your seizures? are they getting less frequent? if they are under control, i am mixing you up with another chat person. so sorry if i mix up people, Cora

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved