MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/03/2011 02:51 PM

Does anyone own a Medical Alert bracelet

Cthebird
Cthebird  
VIP Member

Just wondering if anyone owns a Medical Alert bracelet? I have both bipolar disorder and seizures and my seizures are often violent and don't look like stereotypical seizures. When I have the manic or mixed manic episodes of bipolar disorder I get extremely aggressive and have once been in a store where they threatened to call the police on me. I was thinking that if I have a seizure in public or have a bipolar outburst that it would be helpful to have the bracelet. That way I hopefully get taken to the hospital and not to the slammer.

Is this overkill?

Post edited by: Cthebird, at: 05/03/2011 02:53 PM

Post edited by: Cthebird, at: 05/03/2011 04:01 PM

05/03/2011 03:30 PM
claphappy
claphappy  
VIP Member

No I don't think its over kill. During my seizures I can't talk, it's good to have something to speak for me.

05/03/2011 04:22 PM
ginnyV02
ginnyV02  

If it would give you peace of mind it would be worth the cost whatever it might be. Seizures in public are scary enough, having something to speak for you when you can't might be worth it.

05/04/2011 01:48 AM
2steveb
2steveb  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

quite agree ladies its a good thing to have, personally i keep a card in my wallet that tells them 'epileptic' and my meds and what to do with me LaughingLaughingLaughing

05/04/2011 06:19 AM
ginnyV02
ginnyV02  

Does anyone know the best place to get a bracelet?

05/04/2011 06:41 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
VIP Member

ginnyv02, I'm thinking of buying the bracelet through American Medical ID. I checked out MedicAlert but they want you to buy not just the bracelet but some kind of service too (I assume where you give them your meds list and the hospital can call a number). I'm not sure of the cost with the service but the MedicAlert bracelets were a little cheaper than the American Medical ID bracelets. Since I'm bipolar too my medications are changing frequently so I though it would be a hassle to get the service. My hubby can always get my medications from my psychiatrist since he knows my seizure med doses as well. They are also used as bipolar meds.

Haven't checked out any other companies.

05/04/2011 11:49 AM
2steveb
2steveb  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

if its anything like uk its £10 a month and its a hot line that goes straight to immediate family you select and emergency services??

05/04/2011 05:16 PM
claphappy
claphappy  
VIP Member

Tomorrow's my Birthday, oops! did I say that?

I like steve carry a list of the meds I'm on. When i need to change a med it's easy to do. I also carry copies for Dr's and dentist. I'm wanting a tattoo of my husband's and my name. can't take it off if its tattoo. does anyone have a tattoo? How was the procedure? CLAP

05/05/2011 11:38 AM
jackie1979
jackie1979  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have a medical alert braclet and a card that I carry that informs emergency services that I have Marfan Syndrome as this let them know about the possible issues with the heart and other issues with Marfans, my necklace also lets them know the meds I am taking

05/05/2011 04:30 PM
ginnyV02
ginnyV02  

It sounds like most here feel that it is certainly worth it to have a bracelet or other identification. Are there any stories where having the idendentification has been of help to you?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved