MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/03/2012 05:22 PM

Any Meds for Emphysema?

jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3162

I guess seeing that there is no topics here for discussion, that there are no meds to help - increase lung capacity.

But will ask the question, does anyone know of any? ie out now, or for the future? Future = being tested now.

Jennywren

05/03/2012 07:35 PM
auntdee
auntdee  
Group Leader

Hi Jenneywren,Smile Yes, we leave the board open to any and all topics people want to talk about. Especially,, since it is easier for the new people to post and get replies without having to look all over for where to post.

Yes, there are many different meds for emphysema. I take Advair, Albuterol, and Spiriva. The Spiriva opens up my lungs and i can breathe easier. The Albuterol helps when i get short of breath. Other people have other medicines. Everyone is different. So we take different meds. Also, our environment makes an impact on what meds we take. If you have a Pulmonologist, he/she will know how to treat you. I think i am about to get oxygen. I am sleeping 12 to 13 hours. Then i get up and go right back to bed and sleep another 4 or 5. Plus i get up dizzy and incoherent. This happens half the time. Half good half bad. lol

Hope i have helped you out a little. Sweet Dreams. I go to bed now. So, nighty night.

Hugs,

Doris

05/04/2012 09:15 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

Hi, Jenny! All the meds Doris mentioned do help you breathe easier and they also help keep the COPD from getting worse. However, if understand your question, Is there a med that increases lung capacity? The answer is no! COPD, especially Emphysema is chronic and progressive - there's no going back! As for research - there is a lot of research down the pipeline (which is a verrrrrry long pipe!) I've listed them as I come across them so when you go back through the discussions, you'll find many about current research. The most hopeful in my estimation is using a steam cleaner on your lungs! No joke! And this will be available soon. There's lots of stem cell research which shows promise but no time soon for political reasons. There are always new R&D because finally, we got the pharmaceuticals attention!!!! Keep reading and we'll keep publishing the latest trends and objects of hope!

05/04/2012 04:25 PM
jennywren

Thankyou both for your most helpful responses. I like the bit about "steam cleaning" Thomas. Smile

But do take it seriously, trouble is can steam be such that it is not too hot for the poor old lungs?

Hey AuntDee it might be time for you to see your pulmonologist, but you would know better than I.

Interesting what you say about sleeping a lot. I was doing the same while sick, did the first two nights after comming home. Well the lungs must be working better as I could not go to sleep last night. Sad

Am waiting for the stem cells too. My vision: inject a lot into the bottom of both lungs, and watch as the damage is repaired. Wishful thinking.

You know, now that I have had this epoisode which came on without any warning, now means that I cannot travel overseas anymore. As never know if and when it may hit again. Sad. Guess I should be glad that I was not overseas when it happened.

All the best to you both,

Jennywren

05/04/2012 04:43 PM
jennywren

Ah....I do not know if you know or are interested. But on ebay one can buy oxey (spelling) metres. Nope I do not have shares in ebay. But can become addicted as I think I am. Sad

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40& _trksid=p3998.m570.l1312&_nkw=oxygen+blood&_sacat=See-All- Categories

Regards,

Jenny

05/04/2012 05:08 PM
auntdee
auntdee  
Group Leader

LOL Thank you, Jennywren.Smile I have mine already. My Pulmo said, today, that he wants me to have another sleep study done. So we will see if he says i need suplemental oxygen or no. Gee, i hope this whole dizzy...incoherent...exhausted stuff ends. Wouldn't THAT be nice? hehe

05/04/2012 08:23 PM
jennywren

The sleep study sounds a good idea. Will they be measuring your O2 levels during the study?

Tis a bit like between the devil and the deep blue sea, ie the suplemental oxygen or feeling dizzy....excuse the language but tis all a bloody nuisence. Will not say the other words I am thinking of. Smile

I have a bit of an idea how it feels to be dizzy..incoherent...not sure of what I am doing, tis one of my bipolar meds (am stable - good presribing pdoc)if I do not take it sends me into that state. Not addication but dependance.

The thing I hate is that ten years ago I took no meds! Now have seven of them. Sure makes life confusing. Plus if going to hospital need to remember to take enough of each them with me to last a few days.

Hope all goes great for you Dee,

Jenny

05/07/2012 05:42 AM
auntdee
auntdee  
Group Leader

Hi Jenny,Smile

Good to hear from you again. Yes, they do take oxygen sats during the sleep study. Sats go down at night, so they want to know how low.

Yes, if it is oxygen, i do hope it is only at night. I am not ready to drag oxygen around with me. But needing it at night is just as much a pain in the butt. I go see my sister about once a year for two weeks or so.

I can't believe you said that. Ten years ago you didn't have any meds. Now, all of a sudden you do. I have some meds too, that i didn't have. (grumble...moan)lol It is too expensive. whew!!! Well, i am trying to widdle mine down as low as i can. So far, it's working pretty good for me.

Hope for everyone a good breathing day.

Hugs,

Doris

05/07/2012 05:11 PM
jennywren

We do not do too badly re meds. Most meds are covered by the PBS (pharmichal benefits scheme). So only pay $5.60 for pretty well all of them. With the exception of the Lamictal. I would pay about $156 for four months worth.

Hey do you know Dee when you are going in for the sleep testing? Seems funny to me that our breathing goes off a night. Do you know why this is? We breathe more lighty?

Jennywren

05/07/2012 06:25 PM
auntdee
auntdee  
Group Leader

Hi Jenny,

I don't know when the study will be. It will be soon, though. Pulmo Dr. calls the sleep place and they call me and tell me when to come in. Then, the hospital calls and gets thier PFT.

I think our sats go down at night because we do not breathe as deeply or exhale as much as we do in the daytime. I also have obstructive sleep apnea, so it's a double wammy for me. I use a Bipap machine to shove air into my lungs and then, pull it out. lol But i am still low on o2 at night.

Hugs, Doris Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved