MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/04/2012 09:26 PM

Hello Everyone

acatlove33

Hi everyone my name is Bess and I am just turned 33yrs old and found out from my doctor that I have Moderate Emphysema. I want to cry cause I don't understand why. I would like to know what challenges would I be facing in the future? Right now I feel really sick to my stomach and achy all over. been tired all day and sleeping all day but still have not felt better yet. I dunno how to deal with this alone and I have two young ones at home I also work full time and I am trying to be strong for my family. I just lost my mother last year on Christmas Eve my favorite time of year.It has been hard to except that she is gone I am such bad luck here. Need some good luck my way somehow.

03/05/2012 05:21 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

Hello, Bess and WELCOME! I can totally relate to your feelings about being diagnosed with COPD! Although you believe yourself to be too young to have COPD, I assure you that unfortunately your age is not all that exceptional! You haven't mentioned whether you smoke or not and that makes a huge difference not in terms of blame but in understanding this horrible disease and more important, knowing what to do about it!

I was diagnosed almost exactly 2 years ago on March 14. On March 20 I had my first of 717 Smoke FREE Days! If you smoke then quitting smoking is by far your first priority! Nothing else you do will help if you don't quit smoking NOW! If you are not a smoker, then you may have a hereditary form of COPS called A1AT. Either way it is very important that you know exactly what your FEV1% (lung capacity) is because taking care of yourself means keeping that number from dropping and how can you do that if you don't know what it is? Find Out!

I believe that the symptoms you describe have as much to do with depression as with COPD. That is perfectly normal and understandable ....but you have to at some point get off that couch and get busy doing for yourself what you can! That means a lot of learning about lifestyle changes you will wish to make before you get any worse! Despair doesn't help!

Has you Doctor sent some medicine with you? If so, I don't care how many hoops yyou have to jump through - get and use that medicine! It will save your LIFE! Also, get a pneumonia vaccine and a influenza vaccine ASAP!

Other important urgent changes include but are not limited to Exercise and Nutrition! Learn what you need and make these changes! Do it now or pay later!

Bess, even now, you still have much to be hopeful about! I know that all of this seems overwhelming but you DO still have the POWER to control your illness and not let it control you! That's very good news! So get to work, depression or no, and learn, act and CHOOSE BREATH NOT DEATH! We're with you all the way!

03/05/2012 08:44 AM
auntdee
auntdee  
Group Leader

Hi Bess,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with moderate emphysema. That is scary. I was so scared after being diagnosed moderate/severe that i cried for 2 months. Even though i am still scared, it really helps being in this group with the people i love and respect. They are real Angels and understand the effects of this horrible disease.

Keep posting Bess, and little by little you will come to understand this disease and how to talk to your family. And get support so you do not feel alone.

We are with you in Spirit. Just reach out to us with your feelings and concerns. We will listen.

Lots of Love and Hugs,

Doris

03/08/2012 09:39 PM
acatlove33

Thanks so much for welcoming me to this group.

03/09/2012 08:34 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

Wishing you an easy breathing day! I hope you're reading up on COPD and making a maintenance plan...

03/13/2012 12:31 PM
auntdee
auntdee  
Group Leader

Hi ThomasCool ! I am reading up and also changed my eating habbits. I have to keep praying to stay with it. I am eating fish and chicken, brown rice, vegetables and fruit and homemade, low cal smoothies for treats. I pray i lose this weight, too. Not eating made me sick and put me in bed for a long time. We need 1200 calories each day to breathe. So it was no wonder i dropped like a rock. Anyway, i am really trying, Thomas. Thank you for the reminders.Wink Smile

Love You, Hun,

Doris

03/13/2012 08:44 PM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

Yes, that's a good diet, Doris! It's so important that we eat right! It's also important to exercise! Even if you can't "work-out" you can find some exercises that help keep you toned and build that diaphragm! The diaphragm and the heart are muscles, you know!So exercise can be as simple as diaphragmatic breathing, stretching,dancing, walking the dog, just pushing yourself physically a bit more than before. The more you do it the easier it gets. And it will really help you feel good longer and find your ideal weight. I never wanted to exercise because I was underweight and thought it would make me lose even more weight! Come to find out it helps you find your ideal weight whether you need to lose or to gain! So if you can go to the gym -Great! But even if you can't - be good to your body and exercise!

exercise

03/14/2012 04:51 AM
auntdee
auntdee  
Group Leader

hehe Thank you Thomas!! I am trying hard to do what is necessary to feel better.Smile How is Joanne? Any word? We are all concerned about her, i bet. She is such a sweetie. Hope she isn't suffering.Sad

Love to you, Thomas,

Doris

03/14/2012 10:17 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

No word yet today, Doris! All I can do is keep praying for her! By the Way, JoJo's 500 is coming this week as well as your Year Two of course! What an EXciting Week!!!!

03/14/2012 10:19 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

I just looked it up - JoJo Friday and Doris Saturday!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved