MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/08/2012 06:00 PM

Flashback(page 2)

Schefflera
Schefflera  
Group Leader

leigha83, maybe you can change the furniture (like repaint it or put a nice cloth over it? Make covers?) It would be nice not to have those reminders, but I understand that it isn't always possible.

05/08/2012 07:54 PM
Meg1129
Meg1129Posts: 15226
Group Leader

I second the repainting idea! I have a kitchen table that I've repainted three times already. It's in great shape, but I just got tired of it so I repainted it and about a year or so later, when I get tired of that, I paint it again. Right now, it's really cute. The legs are white and the top is red. I even painted "placemats" on it. I get a lot of compliments from guests.

Another thing you could do is see if any of your friends or family want to swap pieces of furniture with you.

05/09/2012 09:54 AM
Schefflera
Schefflera  
Group Leader

Also I'm not sure if this exists elsewhere, but we have "The Home Store" where people donate furniture and house supplies (like paint, sinks, drywall, etc.). Mostly it is for big contractors that order too much of whatever to make tax writeoff donations, but it is a great way to get stuff like paint for cheap.

05/09/2012 03:55 PM
leigha83
leigha83  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thats a good idea about the table, however, all my furniture is from the past. My couch, end tables, dresser and tv stand. Ehhh I wish I could just get knew stuff. Too bad tax time is a year away Sad

05/09/2012 04:33 PM
Schefflera
Schefflera  
Group Leader

You still might be able to give a lot of those pieces a new look though! I've even used colorful bedsheets I picked up at goodwill to cover the couch when I was broke... just so it wouldn't look so depressing! It honestly helped! You could paint a lot of furniture, or cover up chairs/couches/etc with fabric. If you have any sewing skills you can make some new cushions for things or slipcovers!

Even if you can't change all of it, it might help you just to changed the majority of your surroundings if it harbors bad memories for you. You could also consider asking friends if they want to swap, or keep an eye out at Goodwill type stores and see if you run across a bargain (or yard sales?) Don't forget to put the word out to your friends that you need new furniture because you never know what might turn up.

05/09/2012 07:48 PM
leigha83
leigha83  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I think I may do that. Thanks for all of your help. I think new surroundings would really make me feel better. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved