MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/06/2012 11:45 AM

A Quote To Share...

Schefflera
Schefflera  
Group Leader

I read this today and thought you all might appreciate it:

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by ***holes." - William Gibson

05/06/2012 11:46 AM
Meg1129
Meg1129Posts: 14597
Group Leader

WOW!!!!!!!! I love it!

05/06/2012 01:08 PM
tostaystrong
tostaystrong  

This is great. Alternatively, I feel like you could spin it this way, too: "Before you let someone else that's not a therapist diagnose you with depression or low self-esteem, or anything else, first make sure that they are not, in fact, simply an ***hole."

05/07/2012 07:54 AM
Schefflera
Schefflera  
Group Leader

I think even a therapist diagnosis can sometimes be traced back to being around an abuser though... the idea being that the abuser is really the cause of the depression/low self esteem!

Of course, this isn't always true, and it depends on the situation just like everything else. In general though, if you surround yourself with ***holes, they generally only serve to bring you down regardless!

05/07/2012 07:59 AM
Meg1129
Group Leader

A lot of therapists won't tell you that your problems are caused by an abusive a**hole husband or parent or boss because they're afraid you won't be coming back to them weekly for the next two years then.

That's why when seeking therapy for an abusive relationship, it is so important that you get a therapist who has a lot of experience treating abuse victims. Abusive relationships are NOT normal relationships gone wrong. They are a completely different animal. A whole different dynamic is at play in an abusive relationship and applying advice or conflict solving techniques that would work in normal relationships to an abusive one doesn't work. In fact, they could end up costing the victim his/her life.

05/07/2012 08:14 AM
Schefflera
Schefflera  
Group Leader

That's true Meg... I've NEVER had a therapist, even a decent one, say that an abuser was responsible for my problems with anxiety/depression. However, my current therapist did say that it's likely from my "toxic environment" and basically let me fill in the blanks there with all the work we've done.

Meg is right though... having a therapist that understands the beast that is "abuse" is monumentally important. It really does make an enormous difference.

05/07/2012 08:16 AM
Meg1129
Group Leader

It's like going to a podiatrist for your breast cancer treatments.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved