MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/31/2011 02:56 PM

Money Making Tips & Ideas

Meg1129
Meg1129Posts: 14599
Group Leader

Because we know that abusers like to use money to control their victims, we would like to start a thread of money making ideas and tips that can either be done from home or without causing much suspicion. We do NOT want this to turn into a thread of get rich quick scams and we will be carefully monitoring what is posted here to quickly weed out anything we think is one. We just want you to have some extra money to spend on necessities for yourself and/or put away to save. Having a little nest egg can give you a LOT of peace of mind! It could also be an emergency fund and we all know that living with an abuser makes an emergency fund a necessity.

When you post your idea or tip, please give as much info as possible.

Looking forward to reading your creative ideas!

Post edited by: Meg1129, at: 01/31/2011 02:58 PM

01/31/2011 04:29 PM
Meg1129
Group Leader

I will start this thread.

I made some decent money selling my kids' old clothes on eBay. Some of my daughter's baby dresses actually sold for over $10 per dress! Try getting that in a garagae sale! Whatever I sold, I made sure it was nothing that couldn't fit in a large padded envelope. Shipping costs are sticky. The buyers pay for shipping, but you have to be careful not to underestimate it or you could end up using most of your profits to ship the item.

I also sold a lot of my kids' old DVDs, computer games and electronic games on eBay. There is always a market for those and once again, they usually all fit in a padded envelope!

Below is a link to a website that offers good information on how to get started selling on eBay.

http://www.compunoodle.com/how-to-sell-on-ebay-the-ultimate- tutorial-for-beginners/

01/31/2011 06:17 PM
Schefflera
Schefflera  
Group Leader

Good idea Meg. For shipping purposes you might also want to look into the flat-rate priority mail boxes. That way you can't underestimate the shipping costs no matter what Smile

Selling old clothes and stuff around the house helps too... you could even say that you're taking stuff to goodwill or something to clean up the place. I sold a bunch of my old books for a decent amount on Half.com actually. Keep in mind that stuff like books, DVDs, CDs, etc are considered "media" in the U.S and you can send them A LOT cheaper if you send it via "media mail" at the US Post Office (as long as there is nothing else in the box... no cards, no notes, etc, just the media)

I know some women have had a lot of success selling Avon or Mary Kay stuff, but you have to be careful not to get sucked into buying any of it yourself (the downfall of most people that get into it).

If you do any crafts or anything like that you can also try opening a store on Etsy or Artfire where payments are made directly to your paypal account or whatever you use. Some people have even managed to make it a full-time job and a means of supporting themselves after getting established. However it is a flooded market so it can be difficult. I know on Etsy they also have "alchemy requests" where you can browse what kind of stuff people are requesting and put in a bid for the project.

01/31/2011 07:17 PM
Meg1129
Group Leader

Great ideas, Shefflera! I saw the bottom one mentioned in a magazine recently. If you are an avid reader or you can persuade your friends and neighbors to give you their paperbacks when they are finished reading them, you can sell them to this place. They will even pay your shipping costs!

http://www.cash4books.net/index.php?ref=162889

01/31/2011 07:43 PM
newlife378
newlife378  

Hi there!

It really took me a long time to find a legitimate work from home job because there are a 1000 scams out there so extreme caution is necessary! I now work for Google online as a Quality Ads Rater. It is pretty simple work as long as you are computer/internet savy. There are different tasks assigned to rate the quality of advertisement websites, to evaluate if a site is a scam or not or to rate the quality of videos. It pays $ 15 / hour and they deduct taxes for you so it ends up paying almost $ 14 / hour and the paycheck is every week even with direct deposit. They pay for the training period which involves reading 80 pages of guidelines and the first 4 weeks they are super easy on the quantity of tasks that have to be completed. Later on there is a minimum task requirement but by that time you are so routined that it will be automatic. You need to have a Bachelors Degree to be considered and I don't know if they are still looking for more Ad Raters right now but it is worth trying. It helps if you are fluent in another language as well. Send your resume to temporaryjobs@google.com and let me know if you were successful in getting a job offer from them. It takes like 3-4 for them to reply to your application. Good luck. Right now this helps me to pay my bills a lot.

01/31/2011 08:10 PM
LadyLoralie
LadyLoralie  

One other thing is to use coupons when you go food shopping. If you are given only a specific amount of money to spend on food by your abuser. You could take the money you save with coupons and stash it away. You might even want to look into once you accrue a nice sum of money. You might want to look into getting a CD or something to make money on the money you have while it sits in a bank or put it in things that are non-taxible, and wouldn't have a paper trail your abuser could find. My other suggestion is if you have a family member you could trust perhaps they could open an account under their name that way your abuser (more so if you are married and have joint accounts) could not touch the money.

01/31/2011 10:48 PM
shelley67
shelley67  

I know this idea may not work for some of you, since it's kinda hard to hide what your doing, but I have a sister-in-law who bakes cakes, birthday's, showers etc. or cupcakes, for various things, Easter cupcakes coming up soon. So that's an idea, although it's hard to hide cakes going out the door, that's why I said it may not work, but for those ladies that are living without their abuser it's a thought. If you like to bake, you can put flyers up, even take a ad out in your local paper. Make sure you charge enough to cover your supplies plus make a good profit from each cake. You can even get fancy pans now shaped in Dora or Garfield you know...all kinds of possibilities.

02/01/2011 12:45 AM
john4114
john4114Posts: 225

Hi Over here in the UK a lot of people are looking to reduce their food spending by 'downshifting' their brands.

it goes like this, their are several levels of brand in a supermarket, the premium, the normal, the stores own brand and the budget brand. Often if you drop a level from what you usually buy you can not tell the difference

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-supermarket- shopping

John

Post edited by: john4114, at: 02/01/2011 03:59 AM

02/01/2011 08:05 AM
Meg1129
Group Leader

John, our grocery store usually offers free samples of their own brand of items on the weekends. I have been surprised at how good much of it is. In some cases, even better than the name brand!

02/01/2011 08:53 AM
Meg1129
Group Leader

Below is a link to an article from the Penny Hoarder newsletter. It's about how you can make money attending movie premiers!

http://www.thepennyhoarder.com/2011/01/make-money-attending- movie-premieres

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved