MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/09/2012 08:16 AM

Taking Diuretic and STILL get major swelling

WitchWay
WitchWay  

So, here's the scoop...

I have pitting edema in both legs that get so bad sometimes my ankles swell to softballs and the swelling goes up into my thighs. Even loose socks cut into me.

I went to an urgent care facility while it was happening, they put me on Hydrochlorothiazide (sp) and told me it could be from the Neurontin I was taking for my migraines.

I stopped taking the Neurontin a few months ago and they are still swelling and I've noticed that they do so more when I sit all day at work.

Has anyone else not responded well to the diuretic? If so, what did your doc suggest to help with the problem? Dizzy

03/09/2012 09:31 AM
DonnaEvans77
DonnaEvans77  

I'm on the same medication you're on. I have cut sodium out of my diet for a long time, then last fall, my feet, legs, and knees were swelling as well, even while on the medication. I have what the ER said leaky veins, no cure for it, so have to wear compression socks, which has helped, but still swelling. Hope you can get to bottom of what's going on. If you haven't cut sodium from your diet, you need to, and it's in a lot of processed foods as well as things like Hamburger helper, Mac and Cheese, soups, etc..

03/09/2012 10:49 AM
WitchWay
WitchWay  

I'll try cutting more sodium from the diet. Already cut some. I need to get the socks, too, but they are so darn expensive. I think I may start a log and head back to my doctor.

Thanks for the response. Smile

03/29/2012 08:17 AM
DonnaEvans77
DonnaEvans77  

Your welcome. I'm still dealing with the swelling. I'm even working out to sweat a lot to help. Still lots of swelling. I agree, they're expensive, but a must. I have to get more, due to a pair is already wearing out. Just an constant battle for me.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved