MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/19/2008 11:41 AM

Eczema in awkward places...

shadowdweller

For several months now I've been getting eczema between my buttocks...it starts low down and runs round to my perineum. It's really uncomfortable and makes it very difficult to get on with everyday life because it's always on my mind. Evening Primrose cream eases it and actually clears it away, however it keeps reoccuring. I've finally realised that it is being caused by the sanitory towels that I wear, but they are the same ones I've always worn. The only thing I can think of is that they have added a new chemical to the product even though there is no indication of this on the packaging. I did read that it can be a common cause of eczema for women because of the chemicals used to bleach the towels to a white colour..but how can I find different sanitory towels without going through trial and error which could cause more uncomfortableness, considering that it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to clear up the eczema?

I wish there was some sort of list of "ingredients" on the packaging. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone know of any sanitory towels that are completely clear of any perfumes or scents?

Or has anyone had eczema in uncomfortable places which make it difficult to get on with everyday life? If so, how did you deal with it? How do you "ignore" it and get on with life?

10/19/2008 08:14 PM
KwiteKontrarie
KwiteKontrariePosts: 1541
Group Leader

I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but I don't. The only thing I can think that you could do is contact the manufacturer and ask if they have changed formulation recently (which could be several months or a year depending on how long it takes for old stock to be used in your area or in the stores you frequent).

My darling daughter has eczema, and has had it between her buttocks and also in feminine areas. She is only 8 years old, so sanitary products would not be an issue for her at this time. I try to give her clothing an extra rinse or two in the wash. We use a steroid cream for her skin in all other areas except her female areas. For that, we use a Rx form of Desitin (which is used for diaper rash). Just recently, she is showing some signs of relief.

Since I've not had to concern myself with feminine products yet, I could not even advise you what to look for. Also, with you being from the UK, our product selection would probably not be the same. I hope someone else can find a better solution for you.

~Mary

10/19/2008 08:56 PM
beauty4ashes
beauty4ashes  

Hi there.

Natracare manufactures organic, 100% cotton tampons & pads. Their site claims that they are non-GMO; Rayon-free; No additives; Non-irradiated; Oxygen-bleached, not chlorine-bleached (no dioxins).

I cannot tell you personally how these are because we haven't used them yet. I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago, BUT, my two oldest daughters (tweens 10 & 12) use menstrual supplies. After searching a bit, I recently have found these alternatives, and am going to order them to have my girls try them as an alternative to the chemicals and everything else there is to be concerned about in feminine hygiene care.

Also, I have what they call vulvar pain syndrome, or vaginal eczema,... there is no cure, and it can be AWFUL. My youngest daughter seems as though she may have this, too. Sad

I cannot begin to tell you how to cope with it, sorry! It is an awful thing to be plagued with, and supposedly it is a separate condition from other eczema. I also have Dyshidrosis. But, I thought you should know that you are not alone in your struggles!! Oh, I have recently read though that eating a low oxalate diet can help. You can PM me, and I'll direct you to the info, if you'd like.

Mary, can I ask you a question? Did your daughter have horrendous diaper rash as a baby? My daughter just turned 9, and she had the kind that made her skin "down there" always raw, bleeding & the top layers of skin completely gone in large patches. It eventually cleared up, but I am wondering..... if little girls who experienced such things are more prone to vulvar pain syndrome, or vaginal eczema?? Hmmm... Love to hear your thoughts.

Shadow, back to the "options"... I checked on Amazon, and although there are not a lot of reviews for Natracare sanitary products, they do get 5 stars.

Here is also the Product Description:

"Healthier by nature. Totally chlorine free (TCF). Perfume free. Plastic-free. Biodegradable. Extra soft cover. Natural materials. Natracare feminine hygiene products were created in 1989 by Susie Hewson out of concern for the damaging effect of dioxin pollution on women's health and the environment and today Natracare menstrual pads and certified organic 100% cotton tampons are available worldwide, offering women a quality, natural choice. Why natural pads? For each monthly cycle, it makes sense to choose a pad that is made from natural materials. Many gynecologists have advised women with sensitive skin to use Natracare pads to reduce their contact with chlorine bleached materials, and also products containing synthetics and superabsorbents made from petrochemicals. For over 15 years, Natracare has been trusted by women seeking a chemical-free choice in tampons, pads, panty liners and feminine wipes. Natracare Organic cotton tampons and chemical free pads are high quality products made from only pure and natural materials that are not chlorine bleached and are free of rayon, plastics and other similar synthetic materials that have a negative impact on our environment. Natural absorbent layer. Biodegradable layer. Adhesive strip for secure hold. Extra soft cover to keep you dry and comfortable. Wings. Made in Sweden."

You can also find them on the holisitic beauty site.

Also, look up the Seventh Generation brand. they have natural sanitary options, too, and there are even more "reviews" on them... almost all 5 star there as well, and one of them claims she has had less menstrual pain since switching to the all-natural ones.

Good luck, and feel free to compare notes anytime! (((HUGS)))

10/20/2008 08:02 AM
KwiteKontrarie
KwiteKontrariePosts: 1541
Group Leader

My daughter DID have sensitivity in diaper rash areas. We would have to be very prompt and consistent about changing her, or she would develop ring worm in the feminine areas. We were given either a steroid cream or an antifungal (I don't remember which) to put on these spots as soon as we noticed them to try to keep them in check, or they could get quite severe.

DD also had (and still has to a much lesser degree) keritosis (hard white spiny "plugs", like protruding white heads, in the skin) on the back of her upper arms and the tops of her thighs when she was younger. (Much, much less on her thighs these days.) I was told that this was genetic and was passed thru the father's genes.

I did recall my husband having keritosis somewhat intermittently. His mother refused to believe it, saying that he NEVER had keritosis -- EVER -- and that my father-in-law didn't either (therefore it didn't come from their lineage). But, I recalled when my husband and I were dating in college that the back of his arms were very rough with hard white bumps (I tried scratching at them to see what they were). Now, at age 45, he doesn't seem to show signs of it very often. Regardless of what my mother-in-law said, I KNOW he had it in his late teens and 20's.

I was told DD could grow out of this (keritosis and eczema). That is my hope, of course! But, in the meantime, we'll try just about anything -- the easier the better! Right now she is trying a hematite necklace at the suggestion of a friend. She seems to be improving, but is that a coincidence? Or is the necklace really helping? We have tried Hazelwood, and though I had noticed some improvement around her neck, chest, and face, I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with the necklace or if it was the medication she was taking. (My lifestyle is SO unscientific!)

Her eczema came on VERY suddenly last April/May and was misdiagnosed by the pediatrician as scabies because we had never experienced this with her before. I cannot tell you how much AGONY that caused her when we had to spread scabies medication (insecticide!) all over her open sores! It was HORRIFIC!!! Then from the experience, she broke out all the more -- in hives! She wasn't the only one weeping! Finally, once her skin calmed down, the dermatologist dx'ed her with eczema and Rx'ed steroid creams and Rx formulation of Desitin.

~Mary

10/20/2008 08:37 AM
shadowdweller

Thankyou for the help both of you, I appreciate it Smile

I'll definately see if I can find any of those products. It just seems like I'm going round in circles..every time I clear it up it comes back..so I'm clearly not finding the source of whatever is causing it, I'm just healing what's there...hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

10/20/2008 09:43 AM
beauty4ashes
beauty4ashes  

I know, it's a tough one to figure out. As for my own, from what I understand, there is no cure and that very few products help very much. Also that you should always be very careful what you use for eczema "down there" because the skin is so much more sensitive... products that work on other parts of the body could make that area much worse.

I read that foods high in oxalates can really irritate these conditions, and that removing the offensive ones may help. I haven't tested the theory yet as I just came upon the info a few days ago... but I'm going to try it. There is a list that categorizes them between low, medium & high oxalate foods. It says you shouldn't try to completely eliminate oxalates from your diet because your body will just manufacture them then so if you keep a small amount it helps to better control it... (?) It recommends continuing to eat low oxalate foods, but to limit oxalate foods from the medium category to two a day, and that you should avoid the ones on the "high" list COMPLETELY.

You can find information at vulvarpainsociety.com and vulvarpainfoundation.org I recommend them both. the second has explanations about what oxalates are, as well as food lists and cookbooks for low-oxalate diets, if you're interested. I'm really hoping that it help because living with it is awful, especially when it's not the only thing wrong! Sad

That is very interesting about the necklace... and we had to use steroid creams for Ashley, too. I believe that when we were going through that with her, that my mother had mentioned going through something similar with me when I was a baby, but not sure. I'm just interested if there is any possible link there at all to VPS & VE. I really don't want her to have to go through what I go through though! There are no sores, no rash, no infection,.. nothing, just pain & itching. ???

I am going to try the low-oxalate thing with us though,.. I couldn't believe how many things are on the "high" list that it says you can't have AT ALL that we consume regularly, even some spices. I'll let you know if I see any improvements, and if you decide to give it a god also, maybe let me know how it works out for you, if you wouldn't mind. Wink

Blessings~

10/21/2008 11:15 AM
shadowdweller

I feel really sorry for you with not being able to cure it. I hope that you will find some sort of cure that at least eases it.

I've read online that the companies who make sanitary towels use chlorine to bleach them white, and that this can cause allergic reactions in women. When I was about 8 years old I had a really bad eczema reaction to the chlorine in a swimming pool, so I don't know if that is related.

I'm just doubtful because it has never caused problems before. A friend told me that allergies can suddenly flare up even if you've never had them before and that eczema can do the same thing...is this true?

Last month the eczema was alot less severe and I wore one brand of pads for a couple of days, and another brand for the rest of the week. This month I wore the first brand all week and it's more severe...which makes me think perhaps it's just that brand.

10/21/2008 01:34 PM
beauty4ashes
beauty4ashes  

Yes, I have been told the same thing. Many things, including eczema, can just all of the sudden pop up, or change, at any stage in life. I only get the Dishidrosis on my fingers and occasionally me left foot. It just suddenly came about in my early 20's. This other didn't come about until my late 20's, and I'm told they are unlrelated. I have no other eczema problems anywhere.

I have also read that for women having certain reactions, kind of like your's,.. that it could be reactions to chemicals. And, if you are noticing a difference between certain products, it may be possible that that product has more irritant in it than the others. I also read that wearing loose, 1005 cotton undergarments can help, as well as laundrying them separately can help. Some women can suddenly deveope sensitivities there from the laundry detergent & fabric softners. Using hypoallergenic detergent might help, some women give an extra rinse cycle, too, and skip the fabric softner, and have seen some improvement, as well. So, it could be anything... maybe consider eliminating one thing at a time and see what does the trick? And then of course, there is still always the natural sanitary supplies and the food considerations if thoe don't work. Wink

10/22/2008 09:14 AM
shadowdweller

Thanks alot beauty, that made me feel a bit more confident about the whole situation. I've been having this eczema for months and worrying about it, and I didn't even consider it to be the sanitary towels since I'd always worn them..but if allergies can just suddenly spring up then I feel pretty confident that that's the cause. I'll take one thing at a time and start by not wearing that brand next month. Just got to heal it up for now because it's really burning and sort of prickly. Sad

10/22/2008 12:44 PM
beauty4ashes
beauty4ashes  

I'm glad to help. And yes, one thing at a time... Oh, I did think of one thing that maybe you culd consider trying to help soothe things a bit. Have you ever tried an oatmeal bath? Oatmeal is very soothing, and to avoid the mess of doing it from scratch, Aveeno has some really good products, including a soothing bath soak.

I picked up a box of the Natracare today for my daughters. I'll let you know how thgey work out for them. I will say this, those new Always Infinity are TERRIBLE. Both of my oldest daughters had problems with them... they don't absorb, it just runs off!! Angry I want to get away from the bleached stuff anyway, not to mention I'd rather they use organic cotton so I know that they aren't using stuff that has had pesticides used on it either. So many things to worry about anymore it seems... Sad

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved