MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/28/2010 10:05 PM

New-Is eating sweets a disorder?

Tweety85

Hi. I'm new and like others I'm not sure if this is the right group for me.

I'm over-weight & it's partly due to the medicines I take and the other part is the amount of sweets I eat.

I can't seem to help it. I have to have something sweet EVERYDAY & of course I don't just it them once a day, because if I did I don't think I would be over-weight.

I don't exercise because it's hard to get started by yourself. I wish I had someone to exercise with.

Is eating sweets all day a disorder?Sick

12/29/2010 03:01 AM
mem4809

I would say if all you can think about is food and if you can not stop yourself and are eating for emotional reasons then you likely have a disorder. Especially if it is interfering with your daily functioning. I would ask a doctor about it as we cannot diagnose here. But you will get a lot of support here. i understand that you are on meds, but seriously consider if you are eating for emotional reasons..to make yourself feel better, to get out frustrations, or other stuff like that. Keep posting!

Janna

12/29/2010 01:38 PM
Indubitably
Indubitably  
I'm an Advocate

Hi Tweety, welcome to the group!

I agree with candj. It's not healthy to eat sweets, especially in excess. Sugar slows down your immune system, putting you at risk for health problems on top of the weight gain and increased risk of type II diabetes.

I think you should definitely talk to a doctor. If that's not possible right now, do some research on how sugar affects your body. Sometimes knowing how your body reacts to what you eat can be enough to change some people's eating habits. Also, post any questions you have here and get involved in the group. Having a support system is a huge help too!

Elle

02/15/2012 03:47 AM
frankcastle

My friend, you are totally neglecting your health problems and I think you should take some initiatives to curb the disease as early as possible. eating sweets is surely not a disorder but overeating sweets is serious problem.

Visit website to understand what is an eating disorder.

02/15/2012 04:04 PM
mem7478

It is not good for you to eat sweets all day. Your body needs vitamins and minerals it get from healthier foods. I try to eat 3 meals a day or grazz all day on healthy food and then i don't feel like binging on snacks/sweets. I have sweets each day just not too much and i also try to keep fruits around to fill that craving for sweets. I just joined planet fitness-it is cheap and being around other people excercising it motivates me.

02/27/2012 05:04 PM
Haley1226

i have a similar problem as you. i will binge on sweets, as i have no self control. s]due to a muscular condition i have in my chest and knees, exercising is very painful for me, and i am gaining weight, which is where my eating disorder kicks in. i binge on sweets, then i starve myself, then i exercise until it hurts so much the only way to deal with it is eat more sweets. I am stuck, just like you. Its no fun, but i hope we will both find a way out.

02/28/2012 02:39 AM
mem4809

Have you tried going to a dietician to help modify your diet with sweets added in so that you will maintain your weight and not feel like bingeing? I do what Jewl does with grazing all day and allowing myself pre-portioned sweets from time to time.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved