MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/14/2011 08:57 PM

Family Baggage(page 4)

GettingStarted
GettingStarted  

behindthemask - Thank you. The puppy is a border collie and possibly labrador mix. Someone dropped her off in front of the property I live on. I didn't have a yard before so I've only fostered one other dog and also many kittens and cats, and a baby chick. I fostered through a great no-kill shelter.

Patty777 - Thank you. Yes, thank God for animals. Where would most of us be without them.

Patty & btm - The puppy did help! My Dad came in and we exchanged greetings, some small talk and then he made a beeline for the room where the puppy was. I could hear my Dad laughing because the puppy likes to jump on people. I'm trying to break her of that habit because she's a big puppy with big claws. My Dad loved her. She put him in a happier mood, then he and I played checkers. (He won all games, but I had him on the run on the last game.) Then we went outside to walk the puppy and played with her. She loves to fetch. My roommate is thinking of keeping her. Don't think the cats will like that, but the pup tries to play with them anyway. This upcoming weekend, I'm going to my Dad's place for Father's Day. I think he respects that I stood up for myself, though we didn't mention any of that. Men...we argue and fight, then move on.

Thanks again for asking and have a great week. Smile

06/15/2011 09:33 AM
patty777

Gettingstarted

I'm so happy the puppy made things more comfortable with you and your dad

My dog was like that when he was a pup..jumping on people to show his love..but now I can't train him to stay down..LOL

My dog loves to dance and talk..I'm not kidding...

He will get into a conversation..very quietly in human tone voice he will say wuf wuf...in between a break of others speaking...Its so funny!!..

Caring

Patty

06/15/2011 11:11 AM
behindthemask

Thats great Gettingstarted.. I hope you and your dad can build on this and have a decent relationship now. It's cool that you are getting together on Father's day. Dogs and men - great combination...

I know what you mean about the men argue, fight, move on?? I have 2 sons and they amaze me... they may get in a physical fight with their BEST FRIEND and an hour later they are back to playing a video game together??? Women like to hang onto things for years... and quietly stew on it Smile We are definately wired different! LOL

06/16/2011 07:44 PM
GettingStarted
GettingStarted  

LOL! Thanks Patty! Your dog sounds great. You should put him on youtube. I'm trying to train this pup to dance, but she keeps trying to gnaw on my hands - she thinks they're chew toys like her other chew toys. Smile

06/16/2011 07:48 PM
GettingStarted
GettingStarted  

Thank you behindthemask. I hope for that for my Dad and I, too. I know it would bring us both a lot of peace. Smile

06/24/2011 12:04 PM
GettingStarted
GettingStarted  

I went to my Dad's house for Father's Day. It went well. I was the most comfortable there I've ever been. My Mom, sister, brother and a family friend were there, too. I was most nervous around my brother because we had a falling out years ago. I think he was nervous with me, too. We pretty much just said, "hey". But if he hated my guts he would have stayed away. I think we just don't know where to start. My counselor suggested I call him and tell him it was nice to see him again. Hopefully I'll get the courage soon and let him know I was really nervous, but wanted to talk with him.

At first I thought being comfortable at my Dad's was wholly due to the meds, counseling, support groups, etc., but I also believe it's because I'm more comfortable with myself. I believe I'm getting stronger. People tell me I sound more confident. I'm standing up for myself. I couldn't have begun to improve without all the help I've received from various sources - God, family, friends, meds, support groups(like this one) and getting out more. I'm thankful also for "Precious". (The dog.) She's really helped to open my world by helping me get out more. I'm trying to just take things one day at a time like someone here suggested. Noone knows what the future holds, but I have hope. I wish everyone here well and thanks for all the support. Smile

Post edited by: GettingStarted, at: 06/24/2011 12:05 PM

08/14/2012 11:17 AM
Peace77
Peace77  
Group Leader

This thread sort of reminds me of skeletons in the closet. I have a few I never bring up often. Just wondering if my Mom's alcoholic ways tried to consume when I was young. But after I had my son at 28 years old I quit drinking totally.

But did that cause me to stay with my husband who drinks beer on a regular basis...Any body else???

08/26/2012 08:42 PM
GettingStarted
GettingStarted  

Congratulations, Peace77 on giving up the alcohol. That's an amazing thing you did.

You gave your son the example of sobriety and strength.

08/26/2012 08:53 PM
Peace77
Peace77  
Group Leader

Thanks , I quit drink as a choice about 26 years now...that was nice of you though...Thank you very much!!

08/27/2012 02:37 PM
Peace77
Peace77  
Group Leader

Family baggage also can be hiding the fact you have a serious problem in your family. Like someone who may gamble, or on prescription meds that are abused, street drugs or kids in gangs

All these present family problems...its hard to talk about I'm sure.

Peace77

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 4 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved