MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/07/2008 01:28 PM

another newbie to this grp

taliestar
taliestar  

Hello-

New here, looking for people who understand.

I am bipolar, have an eating disorder and a marijuana addiction (last 2 are an interesting combo huh?) The weed slows down my racing thoughts.

Anyway, I am here for support. People usually tell me that smoking pot is not that big of a deal, and maybe it is not to some, but smoking more than a gram a day is a problem and does affect my life, not to mention my bank acct. 3 problems: 1) my pdoc says its okay to smoke for now until I get the right meds 2) My therapist thinks is helps the eating disorder and 3) my boyfriend (who I live w/ is an addict too. He is not really interested in quitting. I need & want to quit. I need to actually deal w/ life instead of masking it. It's nice to know that others have these burdens to bear. It's freaking hard!!!!

12/07/2008 02:05 PM
Ele1

Welcome! I am glad you found this group. I am new here but I have been given a lot of support and care from this group.

I am bipolar too so I know how hard it can be to get your medications regulated. It is good that you are able to be honest with your p-doc.

It has been alot of years since I smoked pot so I cannot really speak to that only it made me really paranoid way back when.

I can tell you what I have to do with alcohol and that is stay away from it entirely. I have ended up in rehab twice to detox in order to quit. I cannot drink even just a glass of wine with dinner because it will start me on a cycle. Even if I manage to just drink a glass, the cravings will start and drinking will be the only thing on my mind for weeks. I also cannot be around other people while they are drinking. I found that out the hard way.

I am glad you are here and that you have the courage to get help!

Post edited by: Ele1, at: 12/07/2008 14:06

12/07/2008 06:45 PM
saralaurie
saralaurie  
VIP Member

Talie...I am glad you found us. We are a small group but we are very open and honest and help each other alot. I am a coke addict and have been clean for over 2 years. Towards the end I was also smoking alittle pot and drinking but coke is what I liked the most. I don't know if rehab is a possibility for you. I spent 30 days at rehab and have been hospitalized 3 times for bipolar. I need to get off her because my grandson wants to watch LAZY TOWN....but i will check back in an hour or two. The active members in dd are all great and just be as honest as you can. You probably can't top anything that we have doneSmile again thanks for being here....xxzzsara

12/07/2008 09:33 PM
taliestar
taliestar  

Thanks for everything. I will be here often as I plan to quit for good. I am looking into the options of treatment and all of that. To many weed is just not a serious issue, so I am put on the back burner, so to speak. It is serious for me and I am gonna beat this!

12/07/2008 09:46 PM
saralaurie
saralaurie  
VIP Member

i think weed is serious because i know alot of people in their 50-60s who smoke all day long. it is very serious if it is disrupting your life. i don't know what is like to go cold turkey but you might do it just one day at a time. is there an aa or na group where you live. aa is what i prefer but if you could go to a metting everyday for now while you aren't working it would give you somewhere to go. you are talking to the wronge people of people are telling you it isn't a big deal and you are asking for help. let us know how you are doing because we all care about you! sara

12/07/2008 09:55 PM
taliestar
taliestar  

OH MY GOODNESS! The are a blessing. It is serious and I need to do it now while I have the free time, hopefully then things will look better. You lifted my spirits so much just now. I now feel confident to go out and ask for the help and go the the meetings that I have a printed schedule of, but have been to afraid to go. I cant thank you enough, this are rough these days and this would be one less burden. Again...thank you and have a good night.

Natalie

12/07/2008 09:55 PM
taliestar
taliestar  

I meant YOU are such a blessing!

12/07/2008 09:56 PM
taliestar
taliestar  

thanks eli1 too! I appreciate it.

12/07/2008 10:08 PM
saralaurie
saralaurie  
VIP Member

you can do it. you are asking for help and we are here for you but go to a meeting tomorrow. there are people there that ought to be able to help you and give you direction and you are right this is a perfect time for you to get the help that you need. once you are off the weed your bp will become easier to manage and then possibly you will get a grip on your eating disorder. I want you to live so plese take care of yourself. hugs and kisses to you....sara

12/08/2008 09:25 AM
Ele1

I agree with Sara if your actively trying to quit something meetings are a great thing to help with motivation and accountability. I used to be really active in AA and their were a lot of addicts that used AA as well to get and stay sober.

I have a daughter who was anorexic for a few years. She has been doing well now for about 5 years. While she was in college getting a psychology and education degree, her psych professors counseled her on her eating disorder and she was able to lick it. She still struggles with it off and on but she is doing really good.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved