MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/29/2008 07:47 AM

Heard of David Oliver at bipolarcentral? Scam??

annie966
annie966  

Came across a website where this guy David Oliver whose mother is bipolar is trying to sell a program about living with bipolar disorder sucessfully. Seems like a scam to me and I wonder why he thinks he knows it all.

I feel like he is trying to take advantage of bipolar people and make money off of our desperation to live a "normal" life which for me isn't even possible at this point. My life revolves around the ups and downs and I can't control it even with meds, therapy, and a good doc. Somehow ended up receiving email from him - about 5 a day - all of them with information and then the pitch to buy his program. Have to get off of his mailing list. The website is bipolarcentral.com . Any thoughts?

12/29/2008 08:36 AM
saralaurie
saralaurie  
VIP Member

HUMMMM Very interesting. I haven't heard anything abou this. You might talk to Roy about it and see if he has any ideas for making him disappear. Sounds like a scam to me also Annie, tell him to go to hell.lol.....How are you doing? Thanks for passing this on to us.

12/29/2008 11:10 PM
maMONa
maMONaPosts: 1168

Annie,

you are right. i mentioned that site at the BP group and this guy is full of shit. he doesnt even HAVE bipolar. and all his damn emails, articles, etc. all try to plug his book.

The website BipolarConnect, on the other hand, is good to find out info, articles on BP. It also has a support group, but its just not the same as ours here at MDJ. It IS good for the info though.

12/30/2008 03:21 PM
annie966
annie966  

Thanks for your input guys - I deleted him today. He has a bunch of different "programs" to buy one is over $200. Wonder how many people are scammed by this? Reminds me of when I was studying to get my insurance license and came across a site promising a study guide that would make you pass the test the first time - I bought it for $40 and it was about 50 pages of stuff to print out - complete junk and a total scam. I passed the test the first time without using the stupid guide. Really felt like a fool for buying it. That's why people like that guy tick me off so bad - many are searching for an answer to life with bipolar disorder and he knows how depressed and desperate people can be.

07/21/2009 02:20 PM
BipolarSupporter

Hello annie966. I've been reading David Oliver's absolutely free emails for several years and I am very grateful to him for helping to educate me when I knew next to nothing about bipolar disorder. I still find them to be very thought-provoking, even though I know much more at this point about the disorder than I did at that time. Your statement that you were receiving "about five a day", has not been my experience at all. In fact, he only sends a "daily email" - as in ONE per day.

Although David Oliver does include information toward the end of each daily email about the systems that he sells, the emails cost nothing.

Further, I don't understand why you begrudge the man the opportunity to make a living by providing a product to people who are inclined to purchase it. Would you have him work without being compensated? Does your employer pay you? Does your doctor see you without being paid? Do you pick up your groceries at the store without paying for them? Does that mean that your doctor is "taking advantage" of people who are sick or that your grocer is "taking advantage" of people who are hungry? Or are they simply providing a service?

I have never seen any evidence that David Oliver is a scammer. I think it's irresponsible to call him one without it.

07/21/2009 07:42 PM
saralaurie
saralaurie  
VIP Member

BipolarSupporter

Welcome to dualdx. You may not have noticed but Annies post was 7 months ago. She hasn't been on for quite awhile. I hope she is doing okay. This was her opinion about David Oliver and I am sorry if you feel it is irresponsible but we are all allowed to our own opinion here without name-calling.

07/22/2009 03:10 PM
BipolarSupporter

Hello saralaurie. Thank you. I did notice that annie966 posted quite a while ago. I had no idea she hadn't been around since then, however.

As you are aware, I did not call anyone a name, and was in fact defending David Oliver from being unjustly called "a scammer".

I hope Annie is alright, too.

07/22/2009 03:17 PM
saralaurie
saralaurie  
VIP Member

I have noticed that your only 2 post since joining mdj have been about David Oliver. I know nothing about him. In regards to your name bipolarsupporter, does someone in your family have bp or are you bp? Why don't you introduce yourself to the group and maybe we can get to know you alittle better. I don't feel Annie was being irresponsible. I think she was voicing her opinion just as you are defending him.

07/22/2009 05:18 PM
saralaurie
saralaurie  
VIP Member

There is another discussion in the bipolar group about David Oliver. YOu might want to check it out. A very unsatisfied customer who can not get out from under the monthly charge of David Oliver.

07/23/2009 11:03 AM
BipolarSupporter

Hello again, saralaurie. Yes, I did just join this forum and did so because I felt David Oliver was being unfairly represented. He wasn't here to defend himself ...

What would you like to know? My name is Becky and live in Oregon. I do not have bipolar disorder or any other disorder. No one in my family does, however - the man that I love does. I do everything I can (and learn everything I can) to be a good friend to him and be supportive.

Yes, I saw the other thread regarding the man who can't seem to get David Oliver's charges off his credit card. I wonder why he didn't read the daily emails for a while first to see if he found the information helpful. Having said that, of course, doesn't mean that I think it's alright to be charged each month for a service he canceled. I had that happen with a seed catalog company once and I know that it's infuriating and frustrating. I just worked with my credit card company, though, and didn't feel compelled to get on the internet and ruin the company's reputation. But that's a judgment call and yes, I understand each post is just that particular poster's opinion.

I suppose I'm a little defensive when it comes to David Oliver because I found his FREE information so helpful in a time when I didn't know where to turn. I also find Julie Fast (bipolarhappens.com) to be a wonderful free source of information, too. (I did buy some of her products, though - several books - and she remains my absolute favorite source).

Have a wonderful day, saralaurie and if I was offensive, I apologize. I hope that lady (Annie) is alright. It makes me sad to think something may have happened to her and I understand she was probably just using this forum as a safe place to connect, vent, and share her experience(s). I hope she's okay.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved