MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/31/2009 06:31 PM

My crack addicted son

paguras

I am having a hard time dealing with my son who has been a crackhead for the last year but I continue to rescue him which I know is wrong but I can't imagine him living on the streets. He is 25 years old and just got kicked out of the army. I don't know much about crack but I do know it has totally taken over my son. We had him in rehab which did absolutely nothing. Do I just have to wait for him to decide to help himself? What does it take for someone who is on crack to say ENOUGH? I just wanted some feedback about crack because I don't know anything about it although I do know about most other drugs. I love him so much so how do I turn my back on him and just let him live on the street? I feel like I'm losing my son. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

03/31/2009 08:01 PM
getincln

You need to let your son hit his own rock bottom. If you keep saving him, he will never get better. In order for any drug addict to stop using they have to want it for themselves and for some this never happens. Pray for your son and maybe you should try going to an al-anon meeting.

Good Luck

03/31/2009 09:25 PM
paguras

Thank you.

03/31/2009 10:37 PM
babies1
babies1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

An alon meeting or NA meeting would probably help you a great deal. Alanon also has a great book out.

I feel you pain, I have a drug addicted daughter who is doing great in rehab but it took us 10yrs. to get there.

You son won't smoking crack until he has to buy running out of money, friends. Until he hits rock bottom, has to be responsible for himself. You are enableing his to carry on with his drugs. You need to step out of the situation and let him get to the bottom, no home, no money, no job, no car, etc. etc.

Please remember, you are a good Mother and his bad choices are not your bad choices. It is not your fault in anyway so stop blaming yourself.

My ex son-in-law was clean from crack for 5yrs., married my daughter and then took all of the wedding gift money and smoked it up, he was gone for 3 days.

Another time he got a ride home from a ballgame with he friend. His friend lit up a rock in the car, my son-in-law it and that was it, he was right back on it.

Crack is more available that a lot of other drugs and less expensive. 20.00 a rock. That's why it is so eeing enticing. All that you can hope for now is for him to come home, asking for hep. Trying to score and use and use is a neverending. I will pray for you and your family.

hugs, jenny

04/01/2009 03:41 AM
babies1
babies1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I wrote a poem for someone's son recently, if you would like to read it, it's on the article's page. hugs, jenny

04/01/2009 08:42 AM
paguras

Thank you Jenny I appreciate the feedback. I have decided that I am no longer going to rescue him and he is going to have to do this himself, although easier said than done but I realize that I have only hurt him by always rescuing him and he needs to pull himself up.

Thanks again.

04/01/2009 03:00 PM
Darknessiss
Darknessiss  

I am a recovering crack head and I could not stop using even though drugs and alcohol ruined my life.

I loved that first hit, I even loved the taste so I didn't have a bottom, I just kept on falling until one day I just stopped using and have not used in 3 months.

Good luck with your son, pray for him.

-DarkSmile

04/01/2009 03:53 PM
babies1
babies1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Prayers really do help! hugs, jenny

04/11/2009 02:58 PM
Yvonne802
Yvonne802  
VIP Member

You aren't putting him on the streets, he is putting himself there. I finally got fed up with my daughter stealing from us and we put her out. Turns out she never spent on a night on the streets. She had plenty of junkie friends to hang with. It wasn't until she addressed and dealt with her addiction that we allowed her back into our house and that was for visits not to sleep over. Recovery is possible but is never going to happen as long as the world he comes from keeps enabling him.

06/22/2009 05:32 AM
mikey2000

Hi...mom of a crackaddicted son....

I can relate to you and your son....I'm addicted to crack myself and it is not a nice lifestyle...I can only say that I am not sure why I started.... I guess a friend ( but oviously was not a true friend....not even near a friend ) introduced me to a hit of crack and within a month, I was wanted it to get high...It is an escape from any problems your son might be dealing with...And by the time the nice feeling of that first and second year of using, then the crack is in control of you...and the ride of your sons life really begins as a crack addict. Shoplifting to get money...stealing from you and whoever is around...doing whatever it takes and I do mean without and concious within....I started when I was 27-30 years of age to smoke crack but I did snort cocaine when I was around 23 years of age. I am now 47 years old and I do not know why GOD in Heaven would allow me to allow this drug lifestyle to wreck a good part of my life...I am still an addict. The days i am sober are wonderful. I make appt.s to people I work for..I do landscaping because a person who smokes crack will not be able to keep a regular job. Esp. one from 9-5.... It ain't gonna happen. My suggestion to you and your son is: if possible, your son needs to be away from wherever he is living and needs a totally new environment. He needs to be around other people who are sober, whether they have ever used drugs are not.Esp. crack. I find that finding people who are former crack addicts, that are not using now, are far and few. I can't find any. I guess because they either end up in prison, one of my best friends is there now till 2013..., or they die, or they get sober and just go on with there life....I have been to na meetings and they do help but, I cannot talk in front of a crowd etc. so, I don't go...There is good insight at meetings. If I knew alittle bit about your son, I might could help more. Has he recently divorced? did he lose friend at army?

Also, responding to you on this site has helped me...I am going to work this morning before its 100 degress here in ga. And I pray to let today be sober for me....And it will be because, I love life when I'm in control of me and my destiny.... Your sons defenses are down when he's high... He is not in control of himself....Trust me. Please let me know whats going on because I think your letter is a couple of months old. Thank You....Mike

Post edited by: mikey2000, at: 06/22/2009 05:36 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved