MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/10/2011 09:06 AM

I want to save my sister...

MNicole

I have recently realized my sister is abusing her adderall. I always knew something was very disturbing sabout her behavior and now I have advice from an interventionist and a psyciatrist (who she is close friends with). They have both confirmed that she is clearly abusing this drug. Im worried for her and my 2 year old nephew.

Am I in the right place for support? I will be attending my first Families Anonymous meeting on Tuesday but in the meantime, I need somewhere to turn. Cam anyone relate to this? She is hostile towards me becuase I said I was "concerned". She thinks I have a boring life so I am instigating problems in hers. I am heartbroken. My sister and I have been so close our entire lives. Now she says things to me like "go to hell" and f off on a werekly basis.

My mother is enabling her and they are so enmeshed niether one knows where one ends and the other begins...

07/10/2011 04:24 PM
jenny1978
jenny1978  
VIP Member

Is she prescribed them and just taking too many? Is she having to buy extra to last her through the month. I think that you should try to help her, but she's not going to change until she is ready and that is what sucks so bad. Everyone wanted me to stop doing drugs for so long, but I had to be ready. I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired. Do you know how much she is doing a day or anything? I'm here if you need me.

07/10/2011 06:22 PM
MNicole

I dont know how much she is doing. My mom and her will share their pills. I called her DR and had to leave a msg. The nurse called me back and I gave my concerns. Said she would def have the DR call me back. In the meantime, my mom intercepted the nurse and told her we were "just arguing" and it was no big deal. Needless to say the dR never called me back and my mom has asked me to apologize to my sister and say I rushed to judgement. We spoke to an interventionist, and even my sister's close friend (who happens to be a psyciastrist) and he is concerned like all get out. Im so sad that she is so messed up. She tells me to "go to hell", "get a life" and "eff off" on a WEEKLY basis. Refuses to talk except sending me erratic text messages cussing me out. I know I have finally gotten my family on board (with the exception of my MOTHER, she would tip her off if we did any kind of intervention) and that helps. But I want my sister back. How bad is rock bottom? What kind of trouble can I expect? Like what could happen to my nephew? Would she forget him somwhere? Will she forget to feed him? I dont know. Aty least he is with my ex BIL half the week.

07/10/2011 07:00 PM
steve571
steve571  
VIP Member

sounds like this could take long time to get over for her.she feels u are betraying her in a way.and ur trying to come inbetween her an an her pills that make her world go around.it isnt goin to be easy ..especally since she is defently not ready to even concinder giving it up an since they are prescribed by a dr. who doesnt see it as a problem?...there isnt goin to be much u can do...tho intervention could work if u all have the meens..rehabs are very expencive an genrally hard to get into..since there seems to be so many addicts these days.as faR as the kid goes..someone in the familly would have to step up to the plate ...or the state will..if ur willing to push it that far. everyones rock bottom is differnt..it depends on ones mental condition..kinda drugs an how long they been using them.normally it takes the loss of everything that matters to a person before that bottom can be reached..an sometimes it aint enough.

07/12/2011 05:35 AM
MNicole

Yeah, wow. Interventionist is 6K. Not sure what her insurance will cover at the Rehab Center. Why is it so expensive to help people. This is a crazy world. I have my first meeting tonight. Def looking forward to that. THx everyone, for being there with your thoughts.

08/18/2011 07:15 PM
MNicole

IM flying out next week for the intervention. Dont know how this one is going to go. Im struggling now with writing my "letter".

10/11/2012 12:02 PM
turninitover

MNicole, how is everything? My daughter started out doing this and now 15 yrs later- it's so bad I can't even imagine this is the daughter I raised. She was once so sweet and cute. Now, evil, mean, nasty, one day, then 3 days later she might be nice. It's horrible. CPS took my 20 mo old grandson. He is the cutest and sweetest thing. But now he doesn't smile much. It's killing me inside

10/12/2012 08:33 AM
anamore
anamore  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Some rehabs are expensive and I don't know how much if any insurance covers but there are other places to go for help, AA and NA meetings are free, but then some ppl have problem w/ the 12 steps, I know I did, I found a therapist that was a great help, some places have clinic but you have to do some research to find one in your area,

There are alot more places now to get help for addiction, you just have to find them.

I know I went to almost every dr in my state, even driving across the state until I found help, luckily I found a dr close by to help me but I went to so many dr and they all said they couldn't help me but I never stopped looking until I found one that would help me. So do alot of research for what is available in your area, hopefully you can find the help you need. Also I still did go to AA and NA meetings for support eventhough alot of the steps I didn't know how to do,I had a problem w/ my higher power, but that is a personal thing, those groups have helped many addicts...So just keep looking for the help you need

10/14/2012 07:23 AM
hannah12

All I know Is that Salvation Army has a all paid for rehab I know of Grand Rapids Michigan Having one but There may be others to

10/14/2012 08:57 AM
odiebob

it sounds like shes very defensive about herself right now. thats pretty much normal for an addict. it shoves any kind of attack on them right back on the person that cares. the addict will go to any length to get their drugs and they will say anything to defend their use of drugs. the bottom line is, shes not going to give it up easily. it sounds like you ARE going to do the intervention ? i hope it goes well for her.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved