MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/28/2010 09:54 PM

Opana death

Blecan

Opana the latest opiate pain med that's been out for 2 years has a great number of deaths as a result of abuse,my friends daughter just 22 years old overdosed and died last week from it.Here is another account,honestly, i dont get opana, or any other opiate pain reliever prescribed. however i do use them recreationally.. and in my opinion opana is the greatest.. i have been using it for about 2 yrs now.. and it works better then oxycodone any day.

This was a random young person thinking it's just fun and games!

06/28/2010 10:26 PM
Blecan

Opana – a powerful painkiller that went on the market less than two years ago – is twice as strong as OxyContin, with a potential for addiction that rivals the prescription drug that has ravaged the lives of thousands of abusers.

Little is yet known about the potential for Opana abuse, because of its relatively short shelf life in the pharmaceutical marketplace. Significantly more potent than morphine, itself a powerful painkiller with potentially fatal side effects if abused, its existence has created a possible new menace for those who use pain medications for recreational purposes. Those numbers have grown significantly in recent years, as the addictive properties of prescription drugs like OxyContin and Vicodin have become better known.

In that time, reports of abuse have grown widespread for OxyContin, introduced in 1995 and once known as “hillbilly heroin.” In its first six years of existence, news reports put revenues from OxyContin at nearly $3 billion for its manufacturer, Purdue Pharma.

The effects of Opana are closer to those of morphine than of OxyContin, doctors say. Whereas OxyContin has a more stimulating effect, Opana can cause a user to fall asleep. Like morphine, Opana's greatest danger to abusers is the possibility of “respiratory depression,” or reduced lung functioning.

As with all prescription painkillers, the addictive properties of Opana present another possible danger, especially to recreational users. According to James Zacny, a professor of anesthesia and critical care at the University of Chicago, users could eventually become physically dependent on the drug, depending on dosage and frequency of administration.

Related content

Bash Compactor: Opening NightBash Compactor: HOT Hot HeatThe Jay Street Connecting RailroadMore Than ZeroA White Woman Explains Why She Prefers Black MenPassion's Slippery Slope

Related to:

nypressnew yorkopana

Why did Opana get introduced now? Its manufacturer, Endo Pharmaceuticals, said the drug was developed in part to provide an alternative to patients who've developed a tolerance for a specific painkiller.

But an Endo spokesman also cited Opana's added benefit to patients as a “true” twice-a-day opioid. He suggested that while OxyContin is advertised as a 12-hour medication, its users “tend” to take OxyContin more frequently. Doctors say that excessive doses of OxyContin can lead to abuse.

A spokesman for Purdue Pharma, the makers of OxyContin, took issue with Endo's assessment. “OxyContin is indeed a true 12-hour medication,” he said. “All of our clinical studies were conducted using the medication at 12 hour intervals and the product was both safe and effective."

But the main reason for the drug's arrival in the marketplace may be yet more simple: the market for prescription painkillers grows with every passing day. An Endo spokesman put Opana prescriptions at 8,500 a week, and growing.

An injectible form of the drug – known under the generic name of oxymorphone hydrochloride – has been available since 1959, but was available only as a intravenous drip to hospitals. The oral form was originally approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 5, 10, 20 and 40 milligram extended release tablets, and immediate release tablets in 5 and 10 milligram doses. On March 3, the FDA approved three additional doses.

The Opana pill has a waxy consistency designed to deter users from crushing it into a powder, which would defeat the timing mechanism if snorted. The drug's warning label specifically cautions users not to break the tablets down before ingesting orally, because it “leads to the rapid release and absorption of a potentially fatal dose of oxymorphone.”

This isn't the first time oxymorphone hydrochloride has been available in tablet form. Until it was taken off in the market in the 1970s, it was available in 10 milligram tablets under the brand name Numorphan. That was the drug referred to as “blues” in the 1989 Gus Van Sant film, “Drugstore Cowboy,” about a family of traveling drug addicts set in the early 1970s.

06/29/2010 05:47 AM
BrandiJo

thanks for that info. i have never even heard of it before. WOW

06/29/2010 10:28 AM
sadmom99
sadmom99  
I'm an Advocate

ditto on what BrandiJo wrote....I hate hearing there is a "new" and stronger drug out there to lure in the addicts

06/30/2010 10:17 AM
anamore
anamore  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I haven't heard about that drug, it is terrible that there is a new drug out there, they are always coming up w/ new ones. That is really bad, what do you do, more education, more cops out there. How do you make people see the dangers of drugs and addiction.

When I started on drugs, I feel like it was the beginning, there were not any laws against drugs,or not that many.But since then so many people have died, don't the people see what drugs have done to the generation before them. I had no generation before me, there were the beatnicks, that's it.

Why isn't education enough?????.

06/30/2010 10:38 AM
BrandiJo

be prepared b/c i am goin to say it the way i see it and i hope i dont offend anybody... but this is MY OPPINION!

i believe that children are not raised the same as "back in the older days". in past history, children were raised to say yes ma'am and no sir. children were raised to help their mother in the house and help their fathers in the fields. children were taught respect and shown geniuin love. children would swim in creeks and play on tire swings. there was no video games, and candy. no violence on tv's. mothers stayed home and raised the kids while daddy worked and earned the money. children are now left alone to raise themselves. are allowed to run the streets. sit in front of the tv and watch endless meaningless shows. children are eating McDonalds rather than home cooked meals.

i believe THIS is the reason why there is wide spread drug abuse. the chemicals in our "processed" foods. the hormons in our milk. the negligence of the parents of the "new generation". when was the last time you heard a little boy say yes ma'am???

i could go on and on and on.... but this isjust MY OPPINION!

06/30/2010 01:46 PM
anamore
anamore  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You are right, the way I hear my niece talk to my sister is so disrespectful, if I said it to my dad, there would be hell to pay, but then my generation was cutting the ties to rules and regulations,I remeber going to college, and you could smoke in class, one guy had a pizza delivered, another always brought his dog, no rules as long as you past your final. I was out so many days that I failed. When I went to back to college when I moved upstate, they let you have only 3 days out, which made sure I was in class, teens will abuse the freedom if there are no rules.

Now there is drug education, unheard of when I was growing up, we heard the evils of drugs from the news but no one paid attention. Now w/ all the famous people ODing and friends dying, doesn't anyone listen and learn from our mistakes

Post edited by: anamore, at: 06/30/2010 01:53 PM

07/01/2010 11:09 AM
BrandiJo

back to MY OPPINION... kids dont listen. i was told all of the horror stories... i watched my mother drink and the drunken parties. i saw the cops and the nasty houses and the lack of food in the pantry. i went through D.A.R.E in school. and had all of the eductaion that a kid could ask for. did i care? did it scare me? NO! i was raised around it. i saw it everyday. "they" werent dieing.

its like the whole... do as i say, not as i do. thing. makes no sence. when will kids learn?????????? when they have NO ACCESS TO IT!!! when its NOT around.. when its TOO late!

07/02/2010 09:26 AM
anamore
anamore  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You are so right, I remember when I was a litte kid, I would see my parents drinking, getting drunk, it was all around and you grow up thinking that is how life is suppose to be, until you hit bottom and life becomes a nightmare, all your friends dying, but every generation has their new drug, and everyone seems to be doing it, They all think they have it under control until their world fall apart.The government keeps making new laws that don't help anyone or stop anything, It seems everyone has to learn on their own

07/02/2010 11:58 AM
BrandiJo

and the way everyone learns is through pain, and suffering, and losing. there is no wining. such a sad unforgivable world we live in!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved