MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2012 01:23 PM

WHERE TO START?

jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

I always start where conmpany will see. The living room, kitchen and bathroom. Bedroom doors can be closed at least until we have time to sort thru everything we put in there!

I pick up whatever is laying around, books , pspers, dishes, and separatethem into the room they should be in...even the bedroom stuff blankets, clothes, personal stuff...Then I pull out my favorite cleaning tools and aides...Mirical clothes, at least 2 (one wet and one dry) a grout sponge ( that thick oblonge one you see at home improvement stores), wash rags. And my favorite cleaners, The cheap tile/bathroom cleaner from the 99 cent store, shampoo (clear, my favorite sent green apple), vinegar...Bathroom cleaner is a great all purpose cleaner! Woodwork, fridge, stove, anything plastic or painted, you can get sparkling with this one! Shampoo is one of the best degreasers you can buy! It cleans nicotine off walls and will make anything glass shine!

05/04/2012 01:35 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Shampoo as a degreaser? Would it work even on the heavy duty grease behind my stove?

05/04/2012 08:21 PM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

Actually the bathroom cleaner would work better. The foaming kind! But think about it, shampoo and laundry detergent are the hands down best degreasers you can buy! Having trouble getting the stove top or under the stove clean? Try a sandpaper sponge! You can get them in any paint dept. They come in a variety of grits so I get One large, med to fine grit and cut it into several pieces. I usually buy 3M products cuz they last longer and are a better value....These handy little wonders work wet or dry, they will sparkle tile, bathtubs. sinks, glassware, stainless steel cookware,, be ccareful they will scratch plastic, so dont use them on the outside of your microwave!

Another tip: NEVER put anything aluminum in the dishwasher! NEVER! It will cause that unsightly milky white residue on your glasses and silverware, and it's almost impossible to remove too. (HINT: Vinegar and fine grit sandpaper sponge will take it off)

05/05/2012 05:52 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
VIP Member

Where to start doesn't even cover it for me. My best friend of 40+ years is coming to my house to help out one day with the garage sale. I have to deep clean my house from top to bottom before I will let her in here and still get ready for the garage sale. She knows I'm a slob but still. And on top of it, we are starting on the yard and garden today. That is going to take at least 3 days. I'm freaking out right now.

Post edited by: Colleenj, at: 05/05/2012 05:53 AM

05/05/2012 08:10 AM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

Oh Colleen, that's tooo much on anybodys plate! Where are you starting today? Man, that's alot to do and organize at the same time! How much help do you have to get all of this done?

Don't fret about your house not being "perfect"! No one getting ready for a garage sale doesn't mess up the house getting ready for one of those! And garden work ALWAYS gets tracked into the house too! Something has to give here, or your gonna work and stress yourself over the line! Do you already have the garage sale stuff basicly sorted out? There would be a good starting place..Wish I could come help you! One more set of hands would help;!

HUGZ honey, Hng in there!

Reba

05/05/2012 08:50 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
VIP Member

Thanks Reba, for the encouragement. I have a lot of the sorting for the sale already done. As for the rest of it, I decided that it is what it is. It will be as clean as I can get it before the sale and that's all. I have enough stress and anxiety without worry about the rest of it.

Thanks again!

05/05/2012 06:51 PM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

There ya go Sweetie! That's exactly the way to look at it...In 100 years who's gonna remember anyway?

HUGZ AND A TICKLE,

Reba

05/05/2012 06:54 PM
jstsIm
jstsIm  
VIP Member

Nothing has to be perfect the first time we do it,,,,!!!

Maybe we'll get there by the last time we do it>>>>

05/05/2012 10:01 PM
uplifted
upliftedPosts: 285

Remember that imperfection is perfection. Being perfect means you are missing something. Your sale is almost ready- that's great. You prioritized tasks and that important. It will help you staying focused. Don't panic if you feel like you are loosing it or that it's too much. It IS too much for anyone. I think when we are stressed or in a rush, mess is perfectly fine as long as clean enough to maintain hygiene ( and as long as the ceiling, walls and floor are visible Wink

05/07/2012 05:35 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Oh Colleen I feel your pain. My Mother-in-law comes Saturday and while I have no garage sale to get ready for and my mom did a lot of clutter organizing for me I have A LOT of deep cleaning to do.

Maybe you should start a garage sale prep thread and update it so we can encourage you as you go?

Maybe I will take my own advice!

jstsIm part of my problem with my house is I always focus on the public areas so the upstairs hall, bedrooms, bath and linen closet are all awful! And my M-I-L is sleeping here! Egads!

This happens once every three months. You'd think I would be better prepared but we were out of town and I had that to focus on. At least my kitchen is sparkly!

Post edited by: centerseeker, at: 05/07/2012 05:36 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved