Ask a Question
04/29/2012 12:02 PM

100 Household Tips(page 3)

centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip #17

Baking soda: everyone knows about putting baking soda in the fridge to neutralize odors but to get the full effect you have to do it properly. Every two weeks, stir the box to loosen the crust that forms on top. Every two months get a new box. The old box can be poured down a drain or in the toilet overnight to be rinsed or flushed in the morning and it will help toilets and drains stay fresh too.

(ps: please feel free to add to these tips folks! I so don't Know 100! I have been searching the internet for tips!)

04/29/2012 12:06 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip #18:

Another use for baking soda. No need to buy expensive and perfumed carpet products if you want freshness without fragrance, sprinkle on the carpet and let sit 15 minutes and vacuum. My stepmom-in-law does this because she has a dog in the house but any scented products give her a headache.

04/29/2012 12:11 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip 19:

Yet ANOTHER baking soda use. Keep brushes and combs free of product build up and oils by soaking in a solution of 1 tsp of baking soda and a basin of warm water. Rinse and let them air dry.

04/29/2012 12:17 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip 20:

I'm going to try this one because one of my favorite pair of comfy shoes is very salt stained. Pour undiluted white vinegar on a sponge and clean off the salt. Shine with a soft cloth.

caution: I got this one off the hienz site so I think it's safe but unless your really expensive shoes are absolutely ruined use caution as I haven't tried it personally yet.

04/29/2012 12:22 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip 21:

Another vinegar use from the Hienz website. If decals, sticker or bumper stickers have outlived their usefulness, wipe them repeatedly with full strength vinegar on a sponge. Let sit for a few minutes and they should scrape right off. I have actually done this with the edges of my car's registration sticker when it was time for a new one. It also works on stubborn price stickers on glassware.

04/29/2012 12:29 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip #22

Cleaning the toilet bowl. You can put 1/2 cup of either hydrogen peroxide or vinegar in the toilet bowl and let it soak for 20 minutes before scrubbing.

This one is another internet special. I have used vinegar overnight. Now I am curious if 20 minutes is just as good because I hate waiting to take that morning pee until I've scrubbed the toilet! (pardon the crudeness there) I have never tried hydrogen peroxide but now I am curious and have two giant bottles that never get used so I may try it.

(here is an interesting caveat, the site claimed it actually isn't a great cut anti-septic after all because it slows the healing process. I have no idea if this is true.)

04/29/2012 12:35 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip #23

Another use for baking soda. This is one I hope never to need to try again as I am trying to change my habits but I will surely try it if I fall off the wagon. If you have left a sink full of dirty dishes overnight, fill the sink with really hot water and a generous amount of baking soda and soak for 20-30 minutes. The dishes will be easier to clean.

04/29/2012 12:36 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip #24:

This tip is Tip 23's cousin. I know no one here ever burns our foodLaughing , but if you did you can coat the burnt pan with baking soda, add hot water and soak. The pan will be easier to scrape.

04/29/2012 12:42 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip #25;

Another baking soda use. I found a site with the history of the product and a million uses that's why I am deluging this thread with them. Now that I know all these handy uses I may have to buy extra on my next store trip!

If you worry about pesticides on fruit and veggies but find organic food prohibitively expensive, fill a sink or basin with water and sprinkle with baking soda. Wash the fruits and veggies, rinse very well and pat dry.

(ok I am 1/4 the way to my goal of a 100 tips. Anyone got any to add? Small is fine and remember this is Disorganized as well as Messy so organizing tips are welcome too!Smile )

04/30/2012 11:25 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tip #26

This one actually comes from KittenMittens and I am poaching it from another thread. Instead of paper towels when cleaning, use coffee filters to leave less streaks. She also points out that this is cost effective and they fit right on your hands!

I want to try this one because my counters and mirrors always still end up streaky after cleaning. Thanks KittenMittens!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved