MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/17/2012 07:22 AM

Kelti Needs Help !!!

Kelti
Kelti  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Shocked My 34 year old son lives with us and he works from the home for the cable company. We love having him here and we will miss him and his little dog when he moves out sometime this spring. He is a good son and pays rent and helps out with the groceries and lets me drive his car b/c it takes less gas than my large car does. It has been a real pleasure having him here.

Now here is where I need the help: Son's friend gets kicked out of his apt b/c his signifigant other moves somebody else in. He was suddenly homeless and I couldn't stand that so I let this young man move in our house til other arrangements can be made. Son and friend are apartment hunting this month and plan to move when they find something suitable.

Problem is _ he has been here for a week now and has not showered once. He is starting to smell and it is smelling up the bedroom he is sharing with my son. What I want to know is how do I tell him to shower and not embarrass him? Do I tell him myself OR should I let my son tell him after I bring it up to him for discussion? I don't want to offend either young man or hurt anyone's feelings but this not bathing thing has got to end tonight!!! HELP!!!!!!!Sick Sick

04/17/2012 07:46 AM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4016
VIP Member

Well - Kelti -

You need to spit it out to him and your son - both at the same time - and threaten to bathe him yourself if he does not get his sorry ass into the bathroom and shower immediately.

I would bet that is why he got thrown out of his girlfriend's place too.

You obviously have a pure, unadulterated slob on your hands and he really does need to be told what is needed !

hugs, Raoul

04/17/2012 07:50 AM
Kelti
Kelti  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it very much Raoul. You are a good man and I am thankful for your opinion.

04/17/2012 08:37 AM
Colleenj
Colleenj  
VIP Member

I agree with Raoul; it's time to say something.

04/17/2012 09:41 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I would approach it with concern for him. Ask him if his situation has him depressed and point out gently that poor personal hiegene (sp?) is sometimes a symptom of depression. Tell him that you want him to take care of himself.

I would do this all gently if it were me personally. Maybe even offer to launder his clothes while he showers.

04/17/2012 10:00 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16982
VIP Member

I wonder too if he has a phobia of getting into someone else's shower.

Maybe it's hard for him.

One way or another he needs to bathe it's not healthy for him or those around him.

04/17/2012 10:25 AM
VH72
VH72  

I LIKE What RAoul Said you dont need to open your door of kindness to have this dumped on your family

04/17/2012 12:32 PM
Kelti
Kelti  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well if he does have a thing about getting into somebody else's shower my son will just have to help him deal with it b/c one way or another he IS going to shower. We discussed it again ( me and hubby) and we decided to let our son handle it since they are sharing the same room and he is his friend. We will go from there.

04/17/2012 03:56 PM
Kelti
Kelti  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Woah Nellie!!! son's friend just came in from work and my husband just jumped in there and told him to go take a shower!!!!!! Didn't even give son a chance to tell him, he works til 8 pm........................... yeah!!!!!!!

04/18/2012 04:44 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

So did he?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved