MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/19/2011 07:01 PM

Diet advice

Wintersnow1

I have had warnings from my doctor(s) for years telling me that my A1C was creeping up. That I needed to make changes, etc. Well, on my last check my A1C level was 7.4. The doctor said that if I do not lose weight in 3 months that he will put me on medication. I have other health issues, Fibromayalsia, Hypo Thyroid, Lymes Disease. My nightmare is to be put on another medication.

Also, I have been a vegeterian for over 20 years. Since my blood sugar levels have increased I have forced myself to eat some chicken (must be boneless and in small pieces), and fish. I have a moral delimina with killing animals. Don't get me wrong, I am not preachy about it. It just isn't for me. I do not eat deep fried anything and only fried if it is sauteed in a small amount of olive oil. I do eat a fair amount of vegetables. I have never really been a big berry eater so I try to mix up smoothies at home without the added sugars.

Does anyone have advice to a "recovering" vegetarian. LOL

Thanks for your imput.

Hugs.

10/22/2011 04:36 PM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

You know I wonder about adding a bit of whey protein to your smoothies. You'll want to check on the calories and carbs involved of course. It might be a little easier to "tolerate" than a lot of meat. I also have the fibro and thyroid along with IBS, Gerd and several other things I can't even think of at the moment. My hubby is always laughing that with all the pills we take we shouldn't have to eat at all!

10/28/2011 06:53 PM
Wintersnow1

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look in to that.

11/10/2011 06:19 PM
Pixie1960
Pixie1960  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello Windersnow1,

The best advice I can give you is see a dietitian ASAP. Consistent low or high blood sugar can cause serious health consequences.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Hugs,

Kathleen

11/11/2011 06:58 AM
Wintersnow1

Thank you Kathleen. That is a great idea. I will call my insurance company today.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved