MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/17/2012 11:28 AM

Diabetes?

Challaw

Question what is the difference between a person who is diagnosed with diabetes at a early age and a person who is diagnosed at a later age? Like I was diagnosed at the age of 19 with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus

is that the same as Type 1 juvenile Diabetes?

04/17/2012 04:29 PM
KwiteKontrarie
KwiteKontrariePosts: 1541
VIP Member

Yes, Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus is Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes.

"Diabetes Mellitus" is the technical name for either type of diabetes. "Juvenile Diabetes" is the term us common folks know, understand, and use for "Type 1".

Type 2 Diabetes, although similar in management and complications, is a whole other creature. Type 2 is generally caused by diet/obesity because of insulin resistance (body requires more insulin to do the same job that lower levels use to do), not from the lack of insulin in the body. Type 1 is when no insulin is produced by the body at all.

A person can be 30 years old and still dx'ed with "Juvenile Diabetes". It is the cause of the condition, not that age, that determines which type you are.

As I said, Type 2 is GENERALLY caused by diet/obesity, but not always (though in the majority of cases). My best friend's brother is skinny as a rail and is Type 2, but his body RESISTS insulin due to a genetic factor. Insulin is still produced and present in his body, therefore he is Type 2.

I hope that helps. Wink

~Mary

Post edited by: KwiteKontrarie, at: 04/17/2012 04:31 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved