MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/26/2011 05:57 PM

OFF TOPIC-Good sports watching for me

sweetmamaloves

Im not sure if any of you are into watching UFC, aka Ultimate Fighting Championship.....MMA, Mixed martial arts. As a found love of martial arts at the age of 8, I loved it and hated it. It challenged me. I started JUDO at the age of 8 and was discouraged and shyd away from it when I had my butt handed to me by a little boy... until I was in my late twenties. After I had my daughter and worked in Realestate I needed and was driven to find a form of working out, but to me it wasn't working out. It was a "nonworkout" workout. I was able to work out, but it also built a set of skills as well. I really really loved it. I started back into it with Muay Thai. Then I went into Judo, and soon added Ju Jitsu. I was training 4-6 days a week. I was dating a guy that was 6'4" and weighted 250lbs. And training included everything from ground and pound, to grappling, to sparring. We also had to work out by carrying eachother in what is called "fireman runs". To explain what that is, its where you throw a persons body (dead-weight) accross your shoulders and run with them. It wasn't horrible, and was difficult...but fun too. It was a wonderful experience that I so miss now. So by the advice of my nurse practitioner I have gone with a non-contact, and low impact form of martial arts called tai chi. It has been amazing, but definately not the rush I wanted as I use to get from Muay Thai (kickboxing), judo, and ju jitsu. So tell me what you do to attempt in battling this FAT FIGHT DEASESE RIDDEN STUFF THAT HAS INVADED OUR BODIES????

A lil irritated!

Devil

Pinch

Dizzy

Tongue

02/26/2011 09:10 PM
ArtsyAnnie

Hi

My first thought is this - is there ANYTHING in the sports you love so much that you can still do? A good friend of mine has DD and was a body builder at one point - even featured in a magazine. She has now had to quit work and downsize lots of stuff (and she is 25 years older than when she first started body building - she did it for lots of years). Currently she is doing tai chi (as are many fibro patients) with good success. I have not done it, but believe that it would help with the mental control needed for DD.

Maybe you could hang a picture of you carrying the 250 pound dead weight in the room where you do tai chi for motivation!

Best of luck - these changes are difficult. Especially when it involves our best friends.

Annie

02/27/2011 02:37 AM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
I'm an Advocate

Love the martial arts...my grandson and granddaughter took ju-jitsu for years. We went to watch them all the time and they were on a traveling team that performed at like arts festivals. My Alex was in the Arnold Schwatcheneger (sp) national competition that they hold here in Columbus every year. He was really good but had to quit due to a bone density problem. My DIL does tai chi now and they just did an exhibition at the Chinese New Year Festival. I always thought it looked like great exercise. It is great for kids to learn self defense and self control. I know how you miss being able to do what you have done before. This disease tries to suck the life out of you. Now I miss just being able to walk through the house. We still love to watch the Olympics and enjoy just being spectators. My husband was a basketball player and now has to have leg braces to just walk..so I would try to enjoy what you can still do and try not to focus on what you can't. My grandson had to quit contact sports including football which he loved with all of his heart. My one granddaughter..with the cerebral palsy..can't do so many things that I took for granted when I was a kid. Her strong spirit inspires me to keep on keeping on! I think tai chi is a great fit for you. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

02/27/2011 06:18 AM
sweetmamaloves

I now try to teach my 7 yr old daughter some things I still can do in muay thai, ju jitsu, and judo. The guy I am seeing comes over and we slowly wrestle, only because I don't want to over do it. It is fun. I know it seems kinda silly...but working in Law Enforcement it does help to keep you skills strong...for those just in case moments. It was pretty funny, bbecause I am not active in training anymore....but I got him in a great head lock! LOL

Smile

He also used to do wrestling in high school....

It just make me wonder how good he was....????

SO I SAY KICK/HIT LIKE A "GIRL"!!!!

he he he...

02/27/2011 06:22 AM
sweetmamaloves

Oh yeah by the way the fight I was watching last night in the UFC between BJ Penn and Fitch turned out to be a majority draw. Meaning they will have to have a rematch. The fighters and patrons all agree though it should have been Fitch to win. But I was rooting for BJ Penn a US citizen out of Hawaii.

02/27/2011 04:27 PM
Margie
Margie  

Hey...I'm going to jump in here...been away for a few days but back now. I used to absolutely love the step aerobics and remember the adrenaline rush and feeling of mastery over a body that was a finely tuned instrument of motion.

I miss those days and am not as active as I should/could be. I have considered tai chi and have heard that it has wonderful benefits but I don't think it's my thing. Once I have relocated I would like to check out the breath yoga and/or pilates for core strength and balance.

I think that swimming laps would be the best way to keep in shape without putting too much stress on a DD body, and walking, stretching and breath exercises are all good options. And of course healthy diet for us is must...those pesky calories...errr.

I will confess that I used to love the skill and strength of martial arts and I really get into the grappling because of the strength and strategy but if I could dream a dream .... I love roller derby....or the original American Gladiators! The human body is the most amazing thing...even if my glory days are over I am amazed at the miracle that is me...and you...and us!

Margie

02/27/2011 04:50 PM
jlou
jlou  

Ha Ha Margie! I was actually going to try out for a roller derby team in Boston 4 years ago. You have to be under 38 years old and I was 36 at the time. It is right when I got with Phil and he didn't want me to hurt myself. I dressed as a derby girl for Halloween that year. I would have made a great outside or jammer. I love it!

02/27/2011 05:34 PM
Margie
Margie  

Awesome! Can't you see what a great team we would make...I may love heels and bling and those girly things but hey, roller derby girls rock!! I'm going to make this my new mental image in the battle against DD ... roll on girl! Anyone else want to join our cyber team?

Margie

02/27/2011 06:17 PM
keeter

Oh, yeah! I want on that cyber team! I used to skate but not well but put me in a position where you need to be bull headed and that will work. Laughing

I worked out at a gym doing strengthening equipment, cardio and others. My arms never tightened up in the 3 1/2 years I did it. I finally found out why. I had to quit the hard workout when I saw my thighs getting bigger as I did it. I know what you mean - it killed me to give up the rush and the feeling of satisfaction. I did water aerobics until they closed the pool. I didn't think I'd like it since I'm so not a water person but I did. It was good exercise. Now I do chair aerobics. The one I use does get me sweating and my heart beating but doesn't cause the pain in my legs.

So take the pieces that you like and do them but not as hard. The occasional wrestling sounds like great fun! You don't have to give it all up - you just have to tone it down. See how you react and do what you can.

Let's go kick some butt!

Diane

02/27/2011 07:55 PM
Margie
Margie  

ALright!! How about we call ourselves the DD Divas? I'll be Marvie Margie the Masher...how about you guys...what's your roller derby handle? Let's keep working to get the news out and we'll stream roll that DD!

Or Maybe, we should call our team the DD Destroyers and I could be Divine Diva Margie?? Feedback please...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved