MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/23/2009 06:47 PM

A kind and caring gesture

keeter

As many of you know I am an ebay seller. Because of that I am in the post office quite a bit. I've gotten to know several of the clerks quite well.

A couple of weeks ago I was having a rough day. Heading from work to the post office thinking about all that comes with Dercum's and in tears. My favorite clerk, Robb, waited on me. After he posted everything he asked "Is there any other service I can provide?" I blurted out "How are you with therapy?" He said many people don't speak to him after he gives advice. Well, how could I resist that? W00t So I explained that I have a rare disease and am having a really hard time dealing with it. One of his pieces of advice was "Count your blessings." Some days that doesn't work but on that day it actually struck a note so I went home and made a list.

I saw Robb today for the first time since then. I told him thanks for the advice. I said I have good and bad days but what I say a lot is that I am so tired of being strong. He said "Well, I am here for you" and then he put out his hand. I put mine out and he held it for a moment. What a kind and caring thing to do! I so needed to have that one special person reach out today!

Just had to share so you know that there ARE some good people out there!

Here's my hand to all of you!

Diane

09/24/2009 12:08 AM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Thank you Diane for reaching out your hand. The human touch is very healing. My first colonoscopy last month the surgeon asked if he could say a little prayer before he started. I said sure and he did. When I went back for the redo the other day I took him a guardian angel coin and he once again said a little prayer and this time took my hand as he did so. I think a lot of doctors are really healers and take their oath seriously. He is one of these. He kept me from having colon cancer before and he really looked around this time...I was sore but more importantly I was clean! We remark so often on the "bad" doctors who are mean to us but I want to honor the wonderful physicians who have helped me so much. My PCP is a wonderful woman much loved by her patients. My rheumatologist is known as the king of fibromyalgia and his patients love him too! They got their angel coins earlier. I often feel like Blanche in "A Streetcar Named Desire"..when she says "I depend on the kindness of strangers"..it often seems that strangers are nicer to me than some of my family. I am glad you found kindness in a new friend.Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

09/24/2009 05:02 AM
sig333rid

On that angelic news, I'd like to share my latest news.

I finally had a tooth extracted, ready for a bridge.

This is the most caring dentist, ever i have had in my entire life!

He was so gentle with the injections, always apologising whilst injecting the anasetic, I hardly felt them.

I only have a slight ache from the whole.

My new doctor, is equally caring.

I told him of the struggles i have had with doctors who don't listen & don't care, well, he is there for me & is willing to do all possible for me.

This is a first for me!

Now, here is the ironic bit, they are both Cancerians as I am!!!!!!!

Co incidence????

I wonder, but really, i don't think so.

They are an answer to my prayers!

09/24/2009 07:24 AM
lumpybumpy
lumpybumpy  

Diane, You just spred the word to another person! Good for you. He sounds like a very caring person and he may even spred the word about Dercum's. Kind of makes you feel warm. Have a good day, Celeste.

09/24/2009 08:01 AM
keeter

It DID make me feel warm! He is such a sweetie. He says we are all here to help each other. Talking about odd coincidences... he is in the same cycling group AND is a patient of - my fibro/arthro/ now Dercum's doc! SO I gave him some ammunition to annoy him next time he sees him... Wink

I think I need to start wearing my "I Am Rare" t-shirt!

You have one, too!

Diane

09/24/2009 06:36 PM
keeter

I am so glad that you both had good experiences! We need all the warmth and caring we can get!

Hugs to you both!

Diane

09/25/2009 01:54 AM
sig333rid

yes, we need more of it!!!!!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved