MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/14/2012 09:37 PM

question on a biopsy

trama
trama  

I had the nerve biopsy that Dr. Herbst recommend I have done. I had it performed last Wednesday the 9th of may at my local Dr.s office. Labcorp kit was ordered and I have not received the results yet. They took two samples, one from my low left hip and one deep one from the large Lipoma I have in my low back. The numbed me pretty good but, its 4 days later and the pain coming from that sight from the Lipoma is excruciatingly painful. I know we all live with pain everyday this one is just through the roof. Has anyone else had this test done for her? And did they experience this also? I'm calling pain doc in the a.m. as I am on some pretty strong stuff daily but... omg... this one is horrific ...~ Trama~

Post edited by: trama, at: 05/14/2012 09:43 PM

05/14/2012 09:56 PM
looney44

Yes - in fact mine was done last week as well. My appointment with her is in July...I might have to change it due to a family emergency. They took it from my hip and the dorsal part of my foot. My hip doesn't hurt - but by God my foot does! Thinking of calling or writing her but she hasn't answered my calls or emails since - I believe because she doesn't receive any payment from insurance companies so limits her time with new and far away patients.

I believe the biopsy is to see how dense the nerves are at that level - or within the lipoma itself...if so its more data, but she told me it didn't necessarily mean one has Dercums - she's primarily doing it for data and the lab only has a few sites that they work with. Anyway - to answer your question YES! Even though the small spot from the punch biopsy is fading, the pain is not - or very slowly anyway. I would love to hear from the older patients of her on this - as my surgeries on my other lipomas have also usually gone bad. But this is the way of Dercums - it's like it punishes you for even THINKING of getting rid of it. Doing exercise, surgery - just makes it mad.Blink

05/14/2012 10:45 PM
trama
trama  

I was just going through some old lab results for my ss claim and I have a photo of my uterus that they removed due to (at the time) they thought endometriousis. Well it looks just like that fatty adiposis tissue ( dercums). I was thinking about sending it to her to see if I was right about the lab results. The tecq. Says nothing about the tissue but said no endometrious. Although they weren't looking for that at the time. That seems when all this started. Thanks tor your input. Much appreciated. And boy you are correct on seems like its punishing you for everything you get rid of. Ive had complications from everything that ive had removed. Three large lipomas from the breasts that caused mastitis. Just one thing after another.

All my best to you.

~Trama~

05/15/2012 05:30 AM
wendyew

Hi all, The talk of pain after having biospy is something that really scares me ,what if you have to have a operation? I know everytime i do something stupid DD pays you back double. This is a bad bad thing we have! stay positive,Wendy

05/15/2012 09:22 AM
trama
trama  

I stay as positive as I can! I walked into that office before the biopsy with a strong face and the biopsy itself didn't hurt. Just the after effects of the site they took it from. I just had no idea that it would hurt afterwards this bad.. Staying strong everyday. I have too. I have a family that depends on me. Thanks for the comments. Interested if anyone else had any issues with this test?

Trama

05/17/2012 04:19 AM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm so sorry you are having after-pain Trama. I haven't had the test done. I had a punch biopsy done on a breast a few months back. All they cared about was that is was not cancer. Now I have another boil like thing next to where the last one was. These come through the surface so I don't think they are DD. I've had about 20 of them on various body places in the last year. The doctor said that diabetics just have problems like this so I think it is diabetes related. Cuts and scrapes just can't seem to heal on me. My skin is very thin and I bruise very easily. Hopefully all you girls have gone through will tell Dr Karen something important. I am still trying to get the tests done. I don't think financial considerations matter to Dr Karen..she is just very busy. Feel better! Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

05/17/2012 10:32 AM
trama
trama  

Hi Grandma Sylvia,

I have had three huge ones they called them cysts, but, I think they are linked to DD. On both breasts too. They masstised and I had to have surgery and vancomyacin for 6 weeks each time. I have absolutely no immune system. Strange if they are the same as yours ? I'm trying to get all Dr. Herbst tests done. It's a slow process since normal labs usually don't help. Best of luck to you... (Tambra) ~Trama~

Post edited by: trama, at: 05/17/2012 10:34 AM

05/18/2012 03:19 AM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

trama..at least with DD we never suffer alone. I hope you are feeling better now. I have one on my right breast now that I am watching. My breasts are just full of lipomas. Regular tape tears my skin it is so fragile so I get a special tape to use. I'll look and see if I have the name on it. I'm allergic to latex. I can't use a TENS unit as when I tape the electrodes on it takes my skin off. I just hate it when I get boob things..they hurt so much already and are very tender. Sorry men members but these things come up. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

05/18/2012 07:12 AM
Tala77WOLF
Tala77WOLF  

Hi Trama. I am sorry you are having such pain, you too looney. I had a bunch of lipomas removed from both of my sides. The only thing I can really tell you all about having any kind of surgery... from having masses removed to having bones ground down in my ankle from repeated injuries.... It all hurts. It all BURNS. Every time you get cut into, it takes a while for the pain to subside. It is a process of healing, and your body trying to get back to some normalcy. I am not telling you what you should do, and I am definately not a medical professional, but if you are having alot of pain contact a medical professional. Or try looking throuigh documentation that is sometimes given to you when you complete a procedure. Sometimes they can give you paperwork to help you feel more comfortable. It usually takes me about 2-3 weeks after any kind of procedure to feel close normal again. Pace yourself too, it is alot for our poor bodies with DD to deal with.

You say lowered immune system? yeah, most of us deal with that too. So think about it this way.. if when we get sick it takes alot out of us, why wouldn't it take alot out of us when we have a procedure?

I really hope you both feel better soon.

Take care.

05/18/2012 08:19 AM
trama
trama  

Thank you both.. I went to my pain doc yesterday. He increased my fetanyl patches to 75mg. And put me on a non sterroid anti-inflammatory. Both helped! Feeling much better. And grandma Sylvia, the breast things do hurt like heck! When I had the surgerys to have them removed it was like I was on FIRE!!! Yeh, when we heal it takes us DD peeps a lot longer. I would have to say having the ones removed from my breast's was the worst. Hope my testing will help Dr. Herbst with some answers. I also sent my soreness to the lab that did the testing, they documented it, for future use. I am filled with these lumps too, I was going to see a plastic surgeon to have Lippo on my stomach since it is full too. But now I'm not to sure. Ive read they just grow back again. The ones in my breasts had to come out as they got infected Bad.

again a big thank you to you both for the kind thoughts ".

~ Trama~

Post edited by: trama, at: 05/18/2012 08:24 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved