MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/10/2012 09:36 AM

I finally made an appt w/Dr. Herbst!

lumpysoftee

Well folks, I finally made that appt with Dr. Herbst. It's in July,I know nothing about hotels, renting a car, which hotel, AND I guess I will be doing it alone. I am so worried that I will oversleep since mornings are so bad for me.

I will be getting a packet in about a week or two but so many of you have already been. If you can give me suggestions. I would appreciate it.

04/10/2012 02:08 PM
NavyDiver1
NavyDiver1  

Hi lumpysoftee,

Congratulations on your appointment! I was actually stationed in San Diego for three years so I am pretty familiar with the area. I lived in El Cajon which is considered east San Diego county. I would suggest getting a hotel there especially if you are going to have a rental car. I say this because if you are planning on getting a hotel in La Jolla get ready to pay a lot of money. There are a couple other areas that are far cheaper. I suggest shop around and see what you can find. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I know we have a couple members who live in San Diego so if I can help you then they can.

-Damien-

04/11/2012 04:05 AM
ChloeFM

Hi lumper softie,

I too just made an appointment I am going August 20. I used to live in San Diego but now am in PA. I have a dear friend that lives in mission Beach so I have a place to stay. I am sure that if you search the web you'll find a suitable hotel. It may be expensive but I think a diagnosis will be worth the cost.SD is a friendly city it's so beautiful that it's hard not to be happy there. Just relax and enjoy the experience. I hope it goes well.

04/11/2012 11:37 AM
lumpysoftee

Damien, thank you so much for responding. I really do need help in finding a nice hotel but of course I would like to stay around $100 to $120's per night. I would love your input on where to stay that's going to be convenient to the Doc's office. Also, anyone who can make suggestions on sites that I should see since this is my first trip to CA, I'd love that. Chloe, good for you on making your appt! We will both have stuff to report back to the group. Any info you'd like to give me about sites to see, I'd love!

04/11/2012 06:23 PM
NavyDiver1
NavyDiver1  

If you are looking on paying that amount then you can get tons of good deals in Mission Beach. It is a really good area and it is convenient to La Jolla where Dr. Herbst's office is. There are tons of things to see in San Diego. Mission Beach has lots to do and if you want to drive a little further south you can go to Coronado. That is where I was stationed. Absolutely beautiful! Not sure exactly how long you are staying. But if you want to drive a couple hours you can drive north to LA. That is a 1 day trip in itself. Walking down Hollywood blvd. and seeing the mansions in Beverlay Hills. You will see that getting around in CA. is pretty easy as long as traffic isn't bad. Honestly it really isn't that bad unless you are in LA. Anyways I hope you have a great time and I hope that I have answered your questions.

-Damien-

04/11/2012 07:37 PM
lumpysoftee

Thank you Damien. I do need your help. Is Mission Beach the same as Mission Valley? I just checked the Marriott and it was over $200. Also, BIG change...got a call from Dr. Herbst's office and now they can see me May 21st. I don't know a thing about the area and getting around, am still trying to get info together for her (what does she need?) and I don't know if I can do this in time.

04/11/2012 07:40 PM
lumpysoftee

Thanks Chloe for your encouraging comments! I am so looking forward to the appt and seeing Dr. Herbst. Good luck to you on your appt!

04/12/2012 05:28 AM
NavyDiver1
NavyDiver1  

lumpy,

Don't panic you will be fine. Bring whatever medical records you have. Did she ask you to get any labs done before coming? To answer your question no mission beach and mission valley are not the same. I will do some digging for you and see what I can find. I will PM you what I find.

-Damien-

04/12/2012 07:20 PM
looney44

I just made my first appointment with her too! Wow. Her website finally opened up and my wife and I decided we would use it to celebrate our 25th as a trip - talk about a supportive wife. We have relatives in L.A....but they have a very full house - they'll at least give us a car, however. We're flying from Virginia. I'm sorry you have to go alone. My appointment is tentatively set for early July but I want to make sure we have the money. She talked with me for a long time and requested I have a punch biopsy. It was a great day as I had found a surgeon who is keen to support me by documenting and "mapping" the progression. He did some of my initial surgery to remove a couple a few years ago before we knew what it was. I'm so glad that she has opened up to seeing more people now...my local neurologist and others have become less than helpful at trying new treatments. Her authority should help with that I hope. Good luck to all and thanks to Damien and Grandma Sylvia for your help, and those others who have chimed in whenever I went on a rant.

04/13/2012 11:07 AM
lumpysoftee

No she didn't ask me to bring anything. I spoke not to the Doc but to I suppose one of her nurses? Looney, you have a really supportive wife and that goes a long, long way, lemme tell ya. Enjoy your 25th! This year will be our 28th ( married young Wink) and we had already made arrangements to go to Vegas with another couple so hubby has really no time. Looney did you speak to the Doc or to one of her nurses?

Thanks all of you!

Softee

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved