MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/21/2012 04:47 PM

gallstones

scottie47

Hello all!

Im still here, just quiet till now.. Anyone have any issues with their gallbladder? Ive recently been diagnosed with a huge gallstone which Im told has to come out.. Ill know more about that when I meet with the surgeon.. Im very hesitant about going through with the surgery since Ive read that surgery is traumatic and just leads to more lumps.. I was thinking that since the surgeon is going to be in there anyway, why not have him remove some of the larger lumps. My belly is just too big! But I know there is the possibility of them growing back!! Help!! Opinions needed!

Scottie

02/22/2012 02:50 AM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Scottie..we always miss you when you don't post for awhile. My daughter had her gall bladder out at age 35. She had it as an emergency..she thought she was having a heart attack. Just make them let you stay overnight. They also did exploratory surgery as she has real bowel issues and she was sent home too soon..as an outpatient. If they say it has to come out..it probably does need to. My SIL just had a stone that went into her kidney and blocked it and they ended up taking her one kidney. My daughter did gain weight after the surgery as a lot of people do. They have that thing that breaks stones up..I think it is like a vat of water they send waves through. I don't know anybody who has had that done. The lipomas would be very surprised if all of a sudden they were shaken to death! Dr Herbst told me to get my big belly cut off but I think I am too old. If I were young like you I might look into getting bariatric surgery. Dr H says to do whole body wrapping before and after surgery. I will be thinking of you. Let us know how you do if you go ahead with it. Take care my friend. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

02/22/2012 11:26 AM
lumpybumpy
lumpybumpy  

Scottie,

I had gallbladder problems for many years. They wouldn't take it out because I didn't have any stones. Finally I had a test called a gamma scan on the gallbladder. First they give you an injection with some tracer in it to make the gallbladder show up. Then they give you a medication that makes your gallbladder fill. You can watch the gallbladder fill on the screen as you lay on the scanning bed. Then you swallow a drink that tastes like a malt (yum!) and its high in fat. This drink should trigger your gallbladder to empty. Then you lay there and watch to see how long it takes the gallbladder to empty. This is a timed test. Mine did not empty. I had the gallbladder out the next day with a laproscopic surgery. Very easy surgery, 3 or 4 tiny incisions and one about an inch long. They just apply clips to cut off the gallbladder, then cut out the gallbladder and pull it out thru the little 1 inch incision. I was in recovery for just a short time. I was home in just a few hours and had dinner that night. I felt the best I had felt in 17 years! I think the gallbladder was bad for along time. The Dr. said my gallbladder had stretch marks/ wrinkles all over it from over-inflating all those years. He said that is what was causing the pain was my gallbladder didn't empty properly. Diagnosis was a "non-functioning gallbladder". One of the best parts of the whole surgery was they used lidocaine during the surgery. (Which is normally used during most surgeries) I was totally pain free for a full 3 days! This is because if you have DD, lidocaine lasts alot longer than on someone who doesn't have DD. When you have DD, lidocaine injections goes systemic and relieves all of your pain from DD throughout your body. It was wonderful !

I didn't notice any explosion of new lumps growing. I have new lumps, but not at any faster growth rate than before the surgery.

I know there are alot of people out there with DD who have had their gallbladders removed. It seems to be one of the problems we with DD all seem to have.

Good luck on your surgery. Celeste.

02/22/2012 03:57 PM
scottie47

Thanks for the input ladies! The same surgeon who did my sisters bariatric surgery is the same one ive been referred to for the gallbladder surgery... Im going to discuss it with him.. Im so tired of carrying all this extra weight.. nothing im doing is helping and of course exercise is the last thing i want to do!!! Yes it did feel like a heart attack!!!! Scared me to death and all I could think about was that I had all the time in the world to lose the weight and I didnt!!!! Talk about self blame!!!!!!!They did an ultrasound in the ER and the report showed that it was 2.4cm which is about an inch. Thats big for a stone and I was told that it was too large to break apart..ill know more when i see the surgeon.All I konw is that im feeling really weak and fatigued and cant tell if its the gallbladder or the DD...Ill let you all know whats happening. Thanks again guys!

04/03/2012 07:17 PM
scottie47

Hello again all! Hope this post finds you all feeling as well as you can! Smile Im going to go ahead with the gallbladder surgery. Scheduled for this coming monday. Laparoscopic..home the same day if all goes well.. I asked the surgeon if he could remove some of these lipomas and i got a flat out no!!!! he says that it would require a larger incision and that when im lying on my back,the lipomas sink back into the fat and they have to dig for them.. which they do which is why its easier to feel for them standing up.. anyway, he said that if he saw one and if feasible, he would remove it..for some really strange reason, im hoping he finds one of these strange little aliens!! Even my primary said she was anxious to know about what he finds in there. I understand from the posts here and my other reading that they cant possibly look like 'normal' lipomas.. Once again thanks to all of you these past years for all your words, feelings and support!

Scottie

Post edited by: scottie47, at: 04/05/2012 05:16 PM

04/13/2012 09:03 AM
scottie47

surgery went well.. now to just recover.....! dont think he removed any lipomas tho.. will find out after follow up visit!

04/13/2012 11:28 AM
lumpysoftee

Please let us know how you are recovering. You always sound so positive in your posts, it's amazing.

Lumpy, I know I sound stupid but I'll ask anyway: what caused the gallbladder to overinflate? I ask because I have issues of my own and I don't know if this has anything to do with my gallbladder. I've just never considered the gallbladder being the problem.

04/13/2012 11:29 AM
lumpysoftee

How do you know if your gallbladder has problems, just out of the blue?

04/13/2012 07:24 PM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Scottie..did you use compression garments before and after the surgery like Dr Karen says to? I'm so glad the surgery went well for you. That is really important to get gallbladder surgery if you need it. If you can..talk to Dr Herbst's office about having a slide of the fat tissue removed sent to her. Glad you are OK. Take it easy! Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

04/14/2012 05:21 PM
Tala77WOLF
Tala77WOLF  

Scottie, I am going to have my gall bladder out over the next few month. But mine is not from gall stones. I have about 3 polyps in my gall bladder, and have had them for a few years now, but no surgeon wanted to take it out, so I finally found one that would as my symptoms were similar to that of gall bladder disease... so good luck. And yes Gma sylvia was right. My surgeon says that I will have to stay over night in order to have my gall bladder taken out.

Good luck to all

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved