MDJunction - People Helping People
Ask a Question
10/02/2010 05:37 PM

Good Doctors Who Treat Dercums Disease

Posts: 3031
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

My doctor is:

Dr Kevin Hackshaw

S2056 Davis Medical Research Center

480 Medical Center Drive

Columbus, OH 43210

Phone: (614) 293-8093

Fax: (614) 293-5631


Current OSU Appointments

Associate Professor, Immunology

Associate Professor, Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry

Dr. Hackshaw joined the faculty in 1990. His current research involves fibroblast growth factors (FGFs), which are well-described modifiers of angiogenesis, and endothelial cell proliferation. He and his colleagues are investigating these and other factors roles as neurotrophins in pain propagation. Dr. Hackshaw's specialty interests are fibromyalgia, chronic pain, systemic lupus erythematosus and vasculitis. His research interests center around the mechanisms of neurotrophins in propagating chronic pain states.

It takes time to get in to see him as he is very popular with his adoring patients. I consider myself very lucky to have him for my physician. As he points out to cure is yet available so he can just provide palliative treatment. Don't go to him expecting a cure..just wise guidance and compassion.

Hugs, Grandma Sylvia


10/02/2010 05:53 PM

I think mine is still incognito but he might be interested in knowing about yours. Thanks for sharing!

10/02/2010 06:13 PM
Posts: 1015


Sounds like you have found a good Dr. who cares about people and the pain that they go thru. Hang onto that one for sure! I would like to know what he thinks about Lidocaine infusions for chronic pain in Dercum's disease. I also wonder if he knows why people with Dercum's disease react differently to lidocaine than the normal population. (it gives total pain relief and the half life is alot longer on someone with DD) Rather than lasting just hours for an outpatient visit, it will last for several days in a DD sufferer.

I am glad you found him for your care.

Hugs, Celeste.

06/15/2012 05:11 PM
Posts: 13
New Member

Dr Hackshaw does not have any appts until u know of any other Drs in Central Ohio...I need a formal diagnosis and help!


04/22/2013 01:02 PM
Posts: 2
New Member

Somewhere there is or was a person with the name of 'insectlady' ???? Was about finding a doctor to treat the Dercum's in South Carolina???? Anyone remember anything about this?

I have some places (actually a lot, but, really, some more than others) that are sooo painful I can't stand myself. Anyone have 'great' treatments to treat the pain?? Thanks all.


Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 All Rights Reserved