MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/11/2010 04:47 PM

Lidoderm patch vs. lidocaine gel

keeter

A lot of you are discovering and liking the lidoderm patches. Aren't they great? You're also discovering the problem with them - you need to cut them up, they roll, they don't stay on.... Did you know that there is lidocaine gel? (Don't I sound like a commercial???) Smile

My worst flare area is on my thigh. As you can imagine the patches rolled as I moved and ended up wadded up and worthless. So I asked my doc if lidocaine came in a gel. Yep. It's the same percent as the patch but you rub this on so it's easier to control where and how much. I had a flare Friday and was limping badly. I rubbed it on my thigh yesterday and the next time I went to walk I had only very slight pain. Woo-hoo!

Might be worth a try....

Hugs,

Diane

07/12/2010 10:07 AM
jlou
jlou  

I gotta check that out. I am donning a nice big patch on my lower left back today. I went into a huge spasm at work (no falling down or peeing - just a good old spasm)but I think the gel would be excellent for other places - my neck being the worst one. No matter what I do a patch will only stay on for about and hour there.

07/12/2010 04:44 PM
keeter

That's pretty much where I use it - the places I know a patchh won't stay. It is my last resort for treatment since it is the strongest of what I use. Now I just need to get something to smear all over for this blah feeling....

07/12/2010 10:03 PM
Neverendingpain
Neverendingpain  

My pain Dr. gave me some samples of a patch called Flector. I only tried it once on my ankle. It stayed on for a few hours but my ankle pain was to far advanced for the patch to work effictively. I am sure that it would work on other parts of the body like the back, buddocks or outter thighs. Unfortunately if is only available by prescription. Teresa

07/13/2010 12:25 AM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

The patches are way too expensive. The companies that make them should be ashamed. If your insurance is paying for it...you should still complain to the manufacturer about the cost. I had one box and wore socks over them on my feet. They helped a little but not for $1,000 a box. The profit must be enormous. Is the gel RX? You could put the gel on a big band-aid and get the same effect as a patch. I use tape that looks just like scotch tape that is permenated with medicine for my psorasis and it works great. I just cut it in little pieces for my fingers which is a help as my skin will crack if I do a lot of cleaning. It would be too expensive for applying to a large area. If you wrap saran around where you applies the gel it will get into your skin better, You could make a saran dress like in Fried Green tomatoes...then your men can unwrap you! Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

07/13/2010 08:46 AM
keeter

Oh my! Saran Wrap! Brings back memories....

Lidocaine gel is by prescription, yes. I'm thinking it was less than $10 for the tube. You can get it in Bactine or Solarcaine but the percent of lidocaine in them is way smaller.

The gel is absorbed as you rub it in so should not come off on clothes - as long as you don't put them on right away.

Let me know if you try it!

Hugs,

Diane

07/13/2010 10:37 PM
ArtsyAnnie

Diane,

thanks a million for the info on the lidocaine gel. I cannot afford the patches but will try to get the gel at my next visit.

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Annie

07/14/2010 07:02 AM
keeter

You are very welcome! Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved