MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/09/2010 10:58 AM

Is Laughter the Best Medicine???

jlou
jlou  

So, I found this in a piece of my research and I wanted to share it with you all:

What does your lymphatic system do?

"It continuously collects waste fluid that surrounds your cells, cleans this fluid, and returns it to your blood circulation. Your lymphatic vessels carry this fluid through your body, while your lymph nodes use specialized white blood cells to clean this fluid, removing waste products, dead cells, and even unwanted microorganisms.

Clearly, strong and regular flow through your lymphatic system is necessary to maintain clean body fluids, which in turn are necessary for you to be at your best.

This is where laughter comes into the picture. Genuine belly laughter causes your diaphragm to flutter up and down at a very quick rate, which generates pressure against the central lymphatic vessel that runs up the middle of your body. In effect, whenever you laugh from your belly, your diaphragm becomes a powerful pump for your lymphatic circulation, much like your heart serves as the central pump that propels blood through your blood vessels."

So, I suggest you all rent some funny movies this weekend and laugh your butts off!!!

Grin

Janet

07/09/2010 04:32 PM
keeter

OH MY! That explains a lot! Much in life makes me laugh so maybe that's why my lymph isn't getting worse. Hmmm.... Thanks for the tip, Janet! Now we know that not only do we help with concern and info but our wacko, bounce off the walls senses of humor are helping, too! Yeah! We knew that all along! Laughing

Hugs and giggles,

Diane

07/10/2010 08:50 PM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
I'm an Advocate

Janet...very interesting. My lymphatic system is shot and I never laugh. I smile but don't laugh out loud. I came out of my shocking childhood without the ability to laugh. I really wish that I could. I wonder how you could learn to laugh. My husband laughs his head off all the time. He has no lymph problems. Keep up the research. I found a good site today about the lymph system when I find it again I'll put the link on here. Keep laughing..but don't bother tickling me..it won't work and it hurts. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

07/11/2010 12:49 PM
keeter

Okay, I obeyed Janet's order and watched "Old Dogs" and laughed enough to shake my belly! Hope it works! Wink

Sylvia, I am so sorry to hear that! You are the queen of silliness and you don't laugh? Try to make yourself do it. Just keep practicing. At some point you'll probably realize it's a pretty silly picture and you will really laugh. Shake that belly!

Hugs,

Diane

07/12/2010 06:26 AM
jlou
jlou  

Diane - I hope it helped. I had a few good laughs myself but that is because I live with a clown Smile

Sylvia - hmmm - somehow we got to get you laughing! Maybe I'll have to visit you with Phil and he'll get it out of you.

07/12/2010 07:06 AM
keeter

Hey, Janet, whatever works! I think it's good to be around people who make us laugh hard. They're the best!

I feel really yucky today but I don't think it was from laughing. Maybe more from it being Monday....

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved