MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/19/2010 09:36 PM

got my results from the ob dr. this is what i have

auntdawn
auntdawn  

other then i do have pcos too....... i was finally put on clomid...... i am going to get 3 rounds to try and achieve pregnancy...... if no pregnancy occurs then i will be put through more aggressive testing!!!!!!!! Uterus didelphys

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uterus didelphys

Classification and external resources

ICD-10 Q51.1.

ICD-9 752.2

Contents [hide]

1 Etiology

2 Presentation

3 Diagnosis

4 Frequency

5 Management

6 Syndrome

7 Multiple pregnancy

7.1 Triplets

8 References

9 External links

Uterus didelphys (sometimes also uterus didelphis) represents a uterine malformation where the uterus is present as a paired organ as the embryogenetic fusion of the mullerian ducts failed to occur. As a result there is a double uterus with two separate cervices, and often a double vagina as well. Each uterus has a single horn linked to the ipsilateral fallopian tube that faces its ovary.

[edit]Etiology

The uterus is formed during embryogenesis by the fusion of the two paramesonephric ducts (also called mullerian ducts). This process usually fuses the two mullerian ducts into a single uterine body but fails to take place in these affected women who maintain their double mullerian systems. A didelphic uterus will have a double cervix and is usually associated with a double vagina. Causes for the failure to fuse are not known. Associated defects may affect the vagina, the renal system, and less commonly, the skeleton.

The condition is less common than these other uterine malformations: arcuate uterus, septate uterus, and bicornuate uterus. It has been estimated to occur in 1/3,000 women.[1]

[edit]Presentation

Women with the condition may be asymptomatic and unaware of having a double uterus. However, a study by Heinonen showed that certain conditions are more common. In his study of 26 women with a double uterus gynecological complaints included dysmenorrhea and dyspareunia. All patients displayed a double vagina. The fetal survival rate in 18 patients who delivered was 67.5%. Breech presentation was present in 43% and premature delivery common (21%).[2]

[edit]Diagnosis

A pelvic examination will typically reveal a double vagina and a double cervix. Investigations are usually prompted on the basis of such findings as well as when reproductive problems are encountered. Not all cases of uterus didelphys involve duplication of the cervix and vagina.

Helpful techniques to investigate the uterine structure are transvaginal ultrasonography and sonohysterography, hysterosalpingography, MRI, and hysteroscopy. More recently 3-D ultrasonography has been advocated as an excellent non-invasive method to evaluate uterine malformations.[3]

Uterus didelphys is often confused with a complete uterine septum. Often more than one method of investigation is necessary to accurately diagnose the condition. Correct diagnosis is crucial as treatment for these two conditions is very different. [4]. Whereas most doctors recommend removal of a uterine septum, they generally concur that it is better not to operate on a uterus didelphys. In either case, a highly qualified reproductive endocrinologist should be consulted.

[edit]Frequency

In the United States, uterus didelphys is reported to occur in 0.1-0.5% of the population. [5] It is difficult to know the exact occurrence of this anomaly, as it may go undetected in the absence of medical and reproductive complications.

[edit]Management

Patients with a double uterus may need special attention during pregnancy as premature birth and malpresentation are common. Cesarean section was performed in 82% of patients reported by Heinonen.[2]

Uterus didelpys, in certain studies, has also been found associated with higher rate of infertility, spontaneous abortion, intrauterine growth retardation, and postpartum bleed. [6]

[edit]Syndrome

A specific association of uterus didelphys, unilateral hematocolpos and ipsilateral renal agenesis has been described.[7]

[edit]Multiple pregnancy

A number of twin gestations have occurred where each uterus carried its pregnancy separately. A recent example occurred on February 26, 2009, when Sarah Reinfelder of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan delivered two healthy, although seven weeks premature, infants by cesarean section at Marquette General Hospital.[8] It is possible that the deliveries occur at different times, thus the delivery interval could be days or even weeks.

[edit]Triplets

A UK woman with a double uterus gave birth to triplets in 2006. Hannah Kersey, of Northam in Devon, gave birth to a pair of identical twins from an egg that implanted into one womb and then divided, and to an infant from a single egg that implanted into the other womb. This was the first known birth of viable triplets in a woman with a double uterus.[9]. It is estimated that the possibility of such a birth is about 1 in 25 million.[10] A triplet pregnancy in a woman with uterus didelphys was reported from Israel in 1981; one baby died in utero, and of the remaining babies, one was delivered at 27 weeks gestation and the other 72 days later.[11]

05/20/2010 02:39 AM
elliefiona

Wow! I've never heard of that, but reading through, it sounds like you're on a positive path to becoming a mummy.

I hope all goes well for you! x

05/20/2010 09:47 PM
auntdawn
auntdawn  

thanks..... we hope so!

05/21/2010 03:49 AM
shellbee
shellbee  

Wow!!! Best wishes your way!

05/21/2010 05:11 AM
auntdawn
auntdawn  

thank you..... we are gonna try clomid..... i was given the prescription. i have to take provera first then 3rd day of my period i start the round of clomid. if no pregnancy or misscarriage occur we will move on to the 2nd round.... we will only try 3 rounds. if nothing we will move on to more aggressive testings and things to try. but my dr. nathan and i are optimistic trying to stay stress free and relaxed and hoping that i wont need anything past round 3. i go back on june 23rd. which will be the end of round 1. and i could very well be prego then. WILL SEE!

05/21/2010 08:05 AM
keeter

Good luck, Dawn! You know we are all pulling for you!

Hugs,

Diane

05/21/2010 11:21 PM
auntdawn
auntdawn  

thanks Diane

05/22/2010 07:20 AM
keeter

Dawn, need your opinion. Do we complain about pain too much? Does it help for you to talk to us?

Hugs,

Diane

05/22/2010 05:17 PM
auntdawn
auntdawn  

absolutely it helps. i just had this conversation with a lady on facebook. it helps! the day i added her back in november. i asked her if she was in pain because when i went through her status's and info she didn't talk about. so i asked her and she said she did but that she didn't like to dwell on it. and that support groups she pretty much stayed away from because all we did was whine and complain about our pain and it drove her bonkers. i asked her how that could be when the support groups are there to support you. and she took till just the last couple of weeks to really start complaining about her pain. and being angry! i think it is finally driving her bonkers! yay! not that i am happy she is hurting. but happy that she is finally allowing people to see that she is hurting and that she is frustrated with it! i love my support groups! i love that i have a place i can go and talk to people who truly understand....... because yeah family and friends are always there. but they don't truly understand.

why would you ask me? just curious?

05/22/2010 05:31 PM
keeter

Because Sylvia and I both saw that discussion and it sounewd like you said we complain a lot. I get what Sigrid was saying - I think she is in a bad place right now. But you've always been our DD buddy on here so we were both pretty upset!

I'm glad the group helps.

Take care, Dawn. And thanks.

Diane

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved