MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/20/2013 08:57 AM

Lung capacity and Dercums

Garburt

Okay, I now have another hurdle to tackle. I had a lung capacity check and I have the lungs of a 80 year old. I quit smoking at age 39 and am now 59. The attempt to keep the painful lipomas at bay have caused my lung capacity to decrease. I considered my low impact exercises to be good enough for me to sustain my health, wrong. I now have decreased lung capacity and my lungs are affecting other things such as increased inflammation. I am thinking that maybe a little bit of high altitude walking with my low altitude biking needs to be added. Please read the attached article. http://www.naturalnews.com/ 032392_lung_capacity_longevity.html Sad

Post edited by: Garburt, at: 07/20/2013 09:03 AM

07/20/2013 10:06 PM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Garburt..very interesting. I have COPD/asthma and try to do deep breathing when I remember. I also use oxygen and a CPAP. I know others with DD have an oxygen problem. Nothing more important than trying to breathe. Sometimes I do feel that an elephant is sitting on my chest. Thanks for the info

Hi Garburt..I am so sorry to learn of your lung capacity problem. I know how hard you have worked to better your (and my) condition. Don't be discouraged. You can handle this new twist. DD has made you stong enough to handle anything! I know a lot of DD people have oxygen issues but I don't know what the correlationship is. I use oxygen and a CPAP. I wish you had access to a POD like Dr Herbst recommends. I know you will figure this thing out. In the meantime thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. Hugs, GrandmaSylvia

07/22/2013 07:29 AM
wendyew

Hi Garburt, Breathing has been a problem for me since the start of DD. Docs kept saying I had copd and making me breath into that machine and I kept getting worse,but the puffer did nothing. The tumors in the ab press on your lungs causing the problem. Can't take the really deep breath then when you excersise you can't get the air . The more you do the more pressure you get and the harder it is to breath.Ifyou eat the wrong food it gets even worse. I try and do deep breathing all day to help but haven't found out how to increase this. If you get winded walk backwards for a bit and that will bring the air back faster. Don't know why but it works. There is just no room for lungs to expand. I would say go slow ,do as much deep breathing as possible and maybe little by little it will get better. Good luck ,say hi to Jillian when you talk to her. w PS if you have to go to the hospital you will dive the nurses crazy as the emergency bell will keep going off because not enough air sets it off. After about ten times they give up. one other thing ,I smoked 50 some years and docs just shake their heads because my lung show no signs after 5 yrs.

07/23/2013 11:58 PM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

wendyew...If only my pulmonary doctor would learn about DD! I went into a store today without my little tank and John had to go back and get it for me. Not getting enough oxygen is such a horrible feeling! We all need to keep up with the deep breathing. The next step for me is the big canister..don't want to be tethered to that thing but you have no choice if you want to keep breathing! Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved