MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/20/2013 02:35 PM

Breakthrough Pain???

Lolobubbe
Lolobubbe  

Hi all. I never post. I guess I'm somewhat of a lurker on here, but I read everything and feel like I know you all. I'm having terrible problems with breakthrough pain. I see Dr. Herbst and take all her recommended supplements plus Ketoprofen and Percocet for pain round the clock. I took a bad fall last month and the pain was such my reg pain meds didn't touch it at all. Then the other day hubby and I were...well I'm having a lot if breakthrough pain again. If I double up on pain meds ill run out. Have any of you dealt with this? Any advice on talking to Dr. Herbst about it. I'm afraid she'll think I'm drug seeking. I've had that issue before.

01/21/2013 12:22 AM
Cynge42
Cynge42Posts: 100

Welcome - from what little you have posted I see you have quite the trials and pain. My hat is off to anyone who can home school. I mean, I love my kids, but I need some time especially on my foggy brain days.

As for break-out pain, have you tried anything on the natural route? Chiropractor, massage therapist and accupuncturer, that kind of thing? There is also a pain care dr. (at least the one I have) he targets specific pain areas and does what he can until he exhausts all options. If you find a good one then the guy should have a lot of options. I have major migraines with DD and he targeted right where most of the migraines began. Now the migraines have moved up my head and he is now focusing on that area. It is a long process, but I have had good results and hope (hope is always a beautiful thing) that the pain will be taken care of.

I don't know what the world is coming to if a husband and wife can't ... well, you know. I think it just got serious. Wink

01/21/2013 09:34 AM
Lolobubbe
Lolobubbe  

Thanks so much for replying. I've tried many different natural or homeopathic things in the past, I'm a little disillusioned, at the moment. Sometimes the pain is do bad I think I'll try anything to make it stop tho. It scares me that the opioids aren't always working. I've been on them a long time tho so maybe that's part of it. There's a natural pain clinic here in town, maybe ill go check out what they do there.

01/22/2013 01:29 PM
wendyew

hi lolobubbe, see if you can find someone to do this lymphic massage , helps me a lot. As to the homeopatic i have been doing it for almost 2 years and my pain is way down.If you are in Ca. there are some good people out there. It is very slow but all of a sudden you will say wow i don't have that anymore. Doc drugs cover things up and you have to keep changing. If you talk to dr. H maybe she can get you medical hooch, pretty sure that would help. Hang in there and keep talking. Wendy

01/22/2013 10:39 PM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Lolobubbe...feel free to lurk all you want. No one has to post unless they are in the mood and see a topic that interests them or feel they have something to add. I am so sorry that your pain is increased. Here in freezing cold Ohio..I can see my pain increasing..but you live where it is warm so something else must be increasing your pain. When we get hurt it is magnified as our brains are sensitized to pain and react abnormally. I understand the hubby problem. We have so many lipomas in our delicate areas that any touch hurts. I get charley-horses at the wrong time. It is a big problem. I can take up to 6 Gabapentin..600mg a day. When I am in more pain than usual..like today..I may take all that I am allowed and just kind of doze off most of the day. When I have easier days..I may only take 2. Just be honest about your pain with your doctor. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. Explain it in detail. Don't waste any time..just blab as soon as they walk into the room until they walk out. I even tell the nurse so the doctor will see what they are dealing with. Wendy is right..use PT types of therapy also. Most important is getting plenty of sleep. Never give up the chance to take a nap. Dr Karen will help you. She is a saint...an angel among us. I am so sorry for your pain. I hate pain! My back and hips are just killing me so I am loading up taking all of my pills and just sleeping most of the time. It was good enough for Snow White! Do some deep breathing and muscle relaxation and read a good book...like the Kama-Sutra. Smile Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

01/23/2013 01:41 PM
Lolobubbe
Lolobubbe  

Hi Grandma Sylvia, thanks so much for responding. Your post made me giggle, because I used to live near the beach in Los Angeles. The weather maybe goes between 56 and 90 at the most. I miss my perfect 73 degrees most of the year, but now I live more east and it gets very hot here in summer, around 102-109 and right now I am FREEZING. It's been getting down to 45 at night. I know what a joke that is to the rest of the planet! Jimmy Kimmel did a bit about LA's overreaction to cold weather.

I think what's causing more pain is stress. Im battling the State for services for my disabled children. I don't have any insurance and we are pretty broke so I can't afford the lymph therapy right now. I'm asking JFS to help me buy the Lymphapress machine. So I'm pretty limited on what treatments I can do.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved