MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/23/2012 09:25 PM

Reactions to opiates?

bajntime
bajntime  

A lot of dd people do not tolerate opiates (Vicodin, Demerol, Morphin, Dilaudid, etc). I am curious what kind

of reactions you get. Also, are your reactions different if you take the

medication through IV, subcutaneous injection or orally?

09/24/2012 02:05 PM
Lelena44

Hi bajntime,I get different reactions from different opiates. I noticed with pills it is less severe than injections. Vicodin and diluadid make me itchy and covered in hives. Morphine swells me up, burning, itching, hives and egg sized lumps at injection site. Fentanyl, I am not allergic to, but had serious side effects such as breathing difficulty, extreme dizziness and lightheadedness, chills (so bad my teeth were chattering) pain in jaw and back of neck and headache. Tramadol made me vomit for two days and messed up my cycle. Demerol, fiorcet and codeine don't work at all on me, it's like I didn't take anything. Oxycodone makes me faint whenever I stand up. I have a problem with a lot of other medicines as well. I always thought it was due to the fibromyalgia. I didn't know it was a problem for those with DD too.

09/25/2012 01:07 AM
grandmasylvia
grandmasylvia  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Bajntime...I have not taken any heavy duty drugs except for like 3 days after surgery. I do take tramadol at bed time and it helps me sleep. I don't even go to bed until I feel sleepy as I hate to just lay there for hours. I am retired so I just sleep when I am sleepy and eat when I am hungry. I don't follow the clock. I use Gabapentin all day. But I admit my pain level is really too high almost all of the time. I just don't want to get on opiates as I want to stay mentally active and present in my life. Each year I get worse so I may use them in the future. I don't know how people tell how drugs are affecting them when most of us have such bad IBS that we are already sick as a matter of course! My hiatal hernia gets much worse when I am under stress..like this past week. I am allergic to sulphites that they use in a lot of drugs..it is even in anesthesia..which is why I got pounding headaches after surgery...until I told them and they can use other types of anesthesia. Gosh Lelena44..you have bad allergies! It must be awful trying to explain all of this to your doctors. Antibiotics can make me have diarreah...so I eat yogurt when I use them and that helps restore the beneficial bacteria in my digestive system. When they tried Byetta to lower my sugar I felt awful and threw up. I think many DD people have allergy problems with drugs and everything else! Our systems are just more sensitive than people without DD. I hope you get some responses that help. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

09/25/2012 03:31 AM
FatWendyDarling
FatWendyDarling  

Along with Savella for fibro, baclofen for myofascial pain and neurontin for nerve pain...I take extended release tramadol every morning to keep my base pain levels down and hydrocodone for (daily) breakthrough pain. I take the minimum hydrocodone possible to hinder the tolerance building. still, the DD pain frequently breaks through that and I just do what I can to deal with and get through it. I don't have any issues with impairment because of the hydrocodone. I just get constipated on bad pain days where I have to take like 3 of them in a day. Also, must eat with it or I get sick. I've only been on stronger pain meds once when I was a teen and had surgery.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved