MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/22/2012 07:29 AM

Lamictal

kristief
kristief  

Hi guys,

Just have a quick question about lamictal and mood stabilizers in general. Does anyone take a mood stabilizer like Lamictal for just unipolar depression? My doc says that she thinks I have BP2 because the lamictal has helped "somewhat". I still have depression so the Lamictal hasn't helped me completly. I think my anxiety is so severe it aggrevates my depression so to speak. So in the end are mood stabilizers just used for BP?

Thanks for any help!

Kristie

04/22/2012 07:36 AM
evedonn

Hi Kritie, I was on lamictal last year for a number of months, and within weeks it did help and i suffer with GAD and moderate depression, i came off it because a new pdoc came and mixed up all my meds and now in back to square one, just started on effexor xr 150mg 5 days ago after switching from lexapro and zispin 30mg at night. Have you any good experiences with effexor xr, i would be very interested in your comments? xxxx

04/22/2012 07:45 AM
kristief
kristief  

Evedonn,

Thanks for your response. I was on Effexor xr about a year ago but came off of it because I wanted to get pregnant. Needless to say that never happened because of my depression still lingering. It did help a bit prob more with my anxiety. I have never really been depression free for years and my doc just keeps trying new things and it's so frustrating! She switched my diagnosis to BP2 whe Lamictal helped a bit but she had me recently try depakote and seroquel for my anxiety and mood swings and I had the adverse effect! Which makes me feel if I truly was BP they would knock me out not cause more anxiety,lol! Who know's it's sooo hard and I know the whole switching doc thing. I'm considering myself doing the same but I'm worried it will mess me up even more. At the end of the day I think they all just have different opinions on what "they" think works!

04/22/2012 08:00 AM
evedonn

Hiya, well we were in the same situation, i was going to try for a baby aswell and came off lexapro and prothidien and valsoxen, well stayed on 10mg of lexapro i was on 30mg. Fine for a few weeks then all hell broke loose, worst panic ever and of course depression followed, im only on effexor xr 5 days but my pdoc said it should work within the week cos i was on lexapro but still quite down and doing nothing around the house etc... i would love to hear your experience??? will it work for me???

04/22/2012 08:15 AM
kristief
kristief  

I understand your anxiety, TRUST ME!!!! Have you ever tried Ativan? It sounds like you have severe anxiety like I do. Have you done any therapy? I am in the process of switching my therapy into more psychodynamic approach instead of CBT. I am finding that alot of my panic and anxiety is coming from a much deeper place and I think thats why some of my anxiety and depression are still so strong. As for the effexor, everyone is so different which makes this illness so hard. Like I mentioned the meds that should have knocked me ot caused me anxiety. I know that anxiety and depression feed of each other so I'm learning that when I have such intense anxiety my depression is worse and so on. The ativan helps me with that. How is your sleep?

04/22/2012 08:29 AM
evedonn

Hi, I was put on Zispin/Remeron/Mipap 30mg at night, its also an AD but within 30mins of taking it you dose off to slepp no problem, so thats good, im on the combination of the Zispin and Effexor xr now so praying twill kick in. I also attend an occupatioonal therapist to learn to deal with anxiety but the depression over the last number of weeks took over. we have been through alot of stresses over the loast year with the recession etc.. and i worry all the time and my mind is racing...please will the effexor xr kick in soon??? xxxx

04/22/2012 08:59 AM
kristief
kristief  

I would hope that the effexor will kick in soon but have no way of knowing. What has your doc told you? All meds take a little while thats why I asked about the ativan. It is very fast acting and takes the edge off while you are waiting for the right med. It is a anti anxiety med and I think it would help you greatly! I know you are worried and want the med to work fast but it takes time and sometimes more than one as you have seen in the past. It will get better but know that you will have to be patient as hard as it is. I have been there and still struggle but I know that when I obsess about the meds it makes me way worse!

04/22/2012 09:45 AM
evedonn

You sound so like me, im afraid of everything, my thoughts, afraid ill do something to myself even though no intention or self harm or anything, just tired from it all. Lose interest in absolutely everything, will this come back once i get better??? My PDoc thought that i should be feeling beeter by monday(tomorrow) as i did a straight switch from lexapro to effexor xr. I took a nap at midday today and feel guilty bout it, felt i should be doing something! But i must say i think it did me good, i was tired...Im on 0.5mg Xanax 3 times a day to help while im adjusting, but they dont seem to be working anymore...im scared...

04/22/2012 10:26 AM
kristief
kristief  

I have been the same way. Afraid of EVERYTHING!!and I am constantly watching every move I make and feeling overwhelming guilt !!It is exhausting. The ativan is like xanax although it last a little longer and isnt as "potent" per say. I try to watch when I take it so I dont get dependent but I could use it everyday! Maybe you could ask your doc about the ativan. It does last longer and you prob wouldnt have to take it as often. I usually take it at night and sometimes during the day but I try to take half so it takes just the edge off and then I am constantly trying to teach myself coping techniques until I find the right med. I really think alot of my issue is the way I think and have allowed myself to spiral. I have dealt with this my whole life and never tried to face it full on and know its gotten out of control. I dont know that any one med will help me completely as much as I desperatly want it to.It REALLY helps to talk to people! Even when you are down. I find that if I keep busy and constantly talk to myself thru the day I can cope a little better. Now its not easy nor does it go away but I have tried to change my mind set into not relying on the med only and trying to find other ways to help myself in the meantime. It can't hurt right? It will only make you stronger! Do you ever journal?

04/22/2012 10:32 AM
evedonn

Ya im journaling and i talk all the time, also learning breathing techniques but i just want the meds to work, im tormented!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved