MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/09/2012 09:16 PM

New here

Centerline
CenterlinePosts: 12

Hi everyone,

I have been suffering for depression for most of my life and been hospitalized for it a long time ago. I am taking the generic for form of Wellbutrin 300mg, for about 6 years now. I was looking for help because I am trying to get SSI and I found this site. I am having a hard time with that and I am finding it real hard to keep a flout. If it where not for my family I don't think I could hang hang on. I should find a psychiatrist but I am finding really hard too.

01/10/2012 05:08 AM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Sweetie and welcome to the group. I don't really have any info for you since I can't take almost any med made for any reason, but I do know that we've got often daily complaints from people whose meds seem to have stopped working - or never started. 6 years is a while; you may need only a higher dose or another drug as a kind of booster. Also, bits takes some prescription thing that's not an antidepressant and can barely hold my head up, but you might send her a pm and ask her the name of the - aha! - nutrient. At least I remembered the class. I want my gold stars. Maybe they'll appear in my sleep. Tell bits I sent you and she will be happy to help - which she will even if you don't mention my name; but she might wonder how you knew about the supplement.

Let us know how you're getting along. We care.

Catch y'all later.

Best,

Sylvia

01/10/2012 06:23 AM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

Hi Welcome to the group. Sorry you are having some struggles with your med and trying to get SSI. Whoever prescribed the Wellbutrin may be able to talk about what to do now with that med or whether to adjust it or change it. If you can continue to look for a psychiatrist if you feel the prescribing doctor is not as informed about Depression and meds. Wishing you luck. Warm welcome wishes and hope you come back to share when you feel like it. We are a supportive group and hope you will feel the care of our members here. Rachele

01/11/2012 04:28 PM
Centerline

Hi, and thanks for the replies. I am going to talk to my doctor about my meds, but I don't think he wants to do anything tell I see a psychiatrist, which I have been dragging my feet to do. I don't like psychiatrist and I am afraid of them. I have seen my share of them and I don't think they can tell me much that I don't already know about myself. But I may not have a choice if I want some different meds.

01/12/2012 01:27 PM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey Centerline my name is Viv and it is nice to meet you. Good to have you here with our group. As for THe SSI it might be beneficial to get in with a good psychartrist (sorry ms) and if he determines you cannot work because your Depression is so bad he can really help in filling out the paperwork also your primary if you have other health problems. My doctors were valuable in helping me with that. I hope you continue to post here with us I look forward to getting to know you. I have been here 3 years and we have many wonderful people here to help support and care alot. Many Blessing!

01/12/2012 08:30 PM
Centerline

I tried to find a psychiatrist through my insurance company that I get form the government and they have none listed. Big surprise there! Angry I did make a appointment with my regular doctor to see if i can get a different med. Guess I will just have to do the best I can with his help. Unsure I am real tired though Sad

01/13/2012 12:05 AM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Centerline and welcome. I am so sorry for what you're going thru, and believe me, I understand. I haven't seen that many psychiatrists in my life because until 18 years ago, w/ on exception, my depression would generally go into remission and I'd have years w/ no attacks. I should say In 1983 I'd gone thru absolute hell for about a year and a half. A neighbor dragged me to a counseling center that was supposed to be better than, e.g., the family services units. If one signed up for 6 visits w/ a psychologist at $30 each, one could see the pdoc to get meds. The psychologist either had narcolepsy or I am the most boring person on earth. He dropped his chin to his chest and slept thru all six sessions. My neighbor took me the first time and told the shrink he'd seen him but probably wasn't remembered, etc. And he planned to sit in the waiting room but I'd gone to another counseling center and they gave me a very strong antipsychotic, and he didn't think I was psychotic. The doc said he hadn't done any more than shake my hand and he could tell us I wasn't psychotic. OK. But he was a schmuck. He said there were only two types of anti-d's and they both had strong side effects. He said he'd give me info on each, and I should come back in a week and tell him which I chose, and he kept reminding me I could ask him nothing because my body was the one that would have the problems. I told him what I decided and he said I made the wrong choice. Do you love it? I react to almost any med ever, but I also respond quickly. His 4-6 weeks came in 2. I jumped out of bed and there ws no black cloud around my head; the flowers out my window were even bright colors. One huge setback in the beginning. I got to the point where I was taking too much - not on my own; it was the amount he'd prescribed - and I couldn't get up in the morning. I asked him to call me or call a lower dose into my pharmacy. 14 calls w/ no response. And only now, 30 years later, did I realize why. He set up the dose and who was I to tell him it was too much. Shrinks live on hubris and will do everything possible to show the patient who's the boss. I have been an empowered patient since I was 8 or 9. My mother went nuts w/ me asking my doc all these questions. Her generation thouht if a doc said it, you did it. The day I dozed off driving to the job I got 3 weeks after starting the drug, I knew I needed a plan B. I called Jim, who hadn't been my doc all that long, and I didn't know if family practitioners could write these or not. I told him what happened. And he said he was so glad, that he'd wanted to offer me an anti-d but didn't know how I'd take the offer. He said he'd order them for me in every strength made and I could take what I needed. I went from 50 to 300 (very top line), sometimes overnight. I know what's going on in my body, and Jim found that to be helpful. Most doctors become furious w/ me. I once asked a doctor a simple question and he started shouting that I shold see a psychiatrist to find out how to talk to doctors. I walked out.

I hope there is something useful in here. I must sign off. I didn't realize it was so late and it's my night to get my shopping list, money and such together for my shoppers to pick up tomorrow.

I hope you are all having sweet dreams and that I will also before too long. Centerline, I again wish you the best. I do not want to lie to you,but that is one of the few times a saw a shrink of the MD kind. OOPS! I forgot, in 2008 I almost died from renal almost failure. My mind went w/ my kidneys and I didn't know I was alive for 3 weeks. Missed the whole ten days in the medical hospital and wouldn't know the doc if he came to the door. This jackass ignored everything Jim told him and really did try to kill me. I don't know why. But w/ Jim telling him to give me no med not needed to keep me alive because I'd be sererely ill from any but 6 meds on earth. And he told him what to do if I did get sick. They guy ignored him and gave me about 40 meds.incl a number Jim told him would abolutely keep my mind from returning and would most like kill me w/in a few doses. W/ all of the meds (30-40 in all), there was no way for my mind to return. So when my kidneys were ok, he ignored the classic case of mental status changes, also called confusion. It comes w/ things like kidney illness and leaves when the patient recovered. But he, as I said, knew nothing about the meds. So they illegally tossed me into a dementtia ward, illegally (I stopped counting the laws they broke at about 30 when I found out that they do not enforce these laws; I'd have to have a retainer for a doctor. Since I had almost no money, that was out. They also don't care what the meds do to the patient, and almost nobody in the mental units I was in gave a damn. Most of the staff in these units were incompetent and didn't care what they did to me. They left a lot of permanent damage to medical problems I already had, gave me 6 conditions I did not have, and topped it all off w/ a bad case of PTSD.

The doctor the second illegal trip gave me med for nothing wrong w/me. They dx's the same things as the first guy. I told him he had my list of medical conditions right in front of him and if he didn't know any one of them could cause serious, and possibly fatal probs, if given that med, even for a short time. He said I was to tke it. Ten days on 1/2 the lowest dose made and I am now totally homebound where I'd begun to get out a bit, do some of my own sopping, but when he forced that on me I lost mostof my abilities to do anyting, and permanently made the pain worse and took away any chance of it getting any better. Hope he's enjoying the kick-back. He was snide, cruel, asked me questions and w/in ten seconds asked another. He never let me finish one sentence.

In all the records from the 6 hospitals, about 1/2 of the info had nothing to do w/me. And when I called I got s snotty kid who said 'tough shit'.

I do hope that you find some of the kind doctors and nurses I know exist. I've met some -even had two psychiatrists I'd enjoy seeing passing by on the street.

Again, Centerline, keep us informed, and feel free to post anythng.We do not pass judgment here. Odds are that someone in the group has or had the same problems you do. Tell us about them and let us help you.

Warm welcoming wishes,

Sylvia

01/20/2012 08:41 PM
Centerline

Thanks you for your replies,

Went to the doctor on Wednesday and he put me on the generic form of Celexa, to go along with the Wellbutrin I am on. I haven't had any side-effects so far. Going to take a while for it to work so just have to wait and see. I really hope it helps!

01/21/2012 10:06 PM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You are welcome, and I hope the combo of meds works for you. Please keep us updated?

Peace,

Sylvia

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved