MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/21/2010 05:04 PM

Hi everyone

happibyrd

Hi, I'm new here, decided to join to seek support and understanding from others who have been there. I was just diagnosed with depression (and hypothyroidism) though looking back and speaking with my counsellor realize that I've had depression periods since I was a teenager. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a way through this and start feeling like myself again.

10/21/2010 05:10 PM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

Hi Happibyrd, Welcome to the group. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago but have always had periods of feeling down and depressed with myself since teenage years also. There are ways to cope and you need to have alot of patience with yourself. Best thing I have learned through all this is to keep myself connected to people and life and not to dwell too long on the negatives and past. Hope you will find some support and comfort here. Rachele

10/21/2010 08:11 PM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Happibyrd, I too want to welcome you to the group. We are a warm bunch and I hope we can help you learn to live w/ depression and maybe ways to ease some of it now and then. When they diagnosed you did they give you any meds? They can be of great help, tho it sometimes takes a few tries to find the right ones for you.

I had my first bout of depression when I was 3. My father died, and back then it was considered a bad idea to talk to small children about death. So I didn't even know what happened to him. But I've had long periods in my life when the depression was in remission and I had fun times. Now, however, my current bout has lasted 16 years and is in a constant downward spiral - as is my physical health. I've not been able to tolerate an antidepressant since 1983. There were only two classes of antiD's then, and the one I took caused me to gain 100 pounds. At that point I'd found a great counselor and some helpful support groups. I told my doc I was not trying for another hundred pounds, so I had to wean off the meds. And I didn't need them for many years. When I did need them again, prozac had come out. I react violently to almost any med on the market for any purpose, but what I have are intollerences, not allergies - until prozac. The rash lasted for months. We've tried a number of others - at least 20, and other than one more allergy, I reacted to all of them in my usual way. Tonight I start the last ace my doc has up his sleeve, and if I can't tolerate it, I'm sunk. But we've discussed ways to keep my 'normal' reactions in better control, and hopefully this will be it.

Meanwhile, look around on the boards and jump in wherever you like. The water's fine. We are here to listen and support. We accept good news, bad news, rants and raves, and most anything else one might post on a depression site. I hope that you get some relief. Are you still seeing a counselor? Meds and counciling are the two best ways to fight this disease. And make no mistake; it is a disease. It's just that it's in our brain chemicals running amok rather than in our bodies.

Warm welcoming wishes, Sylvia

10/22/2010 09:28 AM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello Happibyrd and welcome to our Depression support group. My name is Viv and it is awefully nice to meet you. Like you I have had bouts of depression since my teens but just was not offically diagnosised with it until I was in my upper 20's. I have been to many counselars and tried several medicines before I found one that worked well for me with the least amount of side effects. I know you said you were speaking withy your counselar are they trying you on any medication for depression or just counseling? Lots of people do not chose to take medicines and do fine. Me I ended up having to have some.

You are in the right place to get support all of us here surely know what it feels like to have depression. I really look forward to getting to know you. Feel free to write as much as you want and jump in anywhere. Many blessings to you!

10/22/2010 06:21 PM
happibyrd

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I have been taking cipralex for almost 2 months for depression and just started 3 weeks ago on thyroid medication. The cipralex has already helped with the severe mood swings, crying bouts and complete inability to focus. I'm still finding it extremely difficult to get movtivated to do much of anything besides going to work, I'm avoiding friends, my house is a mess and I haven't been to the gym in over 6 months. My doctor feels that may be in part to the exhaustion from the hypothyroidism. Looking forward to the support from the group.

Post edited by: happibyrd, at: 10/22/2010 06:23 PM

10/22/2010 07:01 PM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

happibyrd, you are very welcome. We are sorry you're depressed of course, but we're glad you found us. I look forward to getting to know you.

Cipralex is the same thing as Lexapro, and there are many posts re Lexapro, so I wanted to let you know they're the same so you'll know those posts are about the same thing you're taking. Are you by any chance in Canada or the UK? And you do not have to answer if you don't want to. I just wondered because they do call Lexapro Cipralex in those countries.

Best, Sylvia

10/23/2010 03:33 PM
happibyrd

Hi Sylvia,

Yes, I[m in Canada, thanks for letting me know the US name so I can read up on it.

10/23/2010 11:30 PM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You are very welcome, happibyrd. Glad I could help.

Regards, Sylvia

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved