MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/26/2009 11:11 PM

hello.

ascs
ascs  

Hello. Lately I've been feeling on and off again mood swings from happy and sad. I was searching google and found this site. I think it may help get support from people who are going through the same thing I am.

I'm April & i'm 20 years old. Just out of high school, not in college yet but hoping to be soon but not sure how I will go to do that if I don't have the money for it. I'm not the best when it comes to introducing myself.

If you ahve any other questions just ask!

~April

11/27/2009 02:13 AM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi April and welcome to our depression site. I'm sorry you need us but glad that you've found us. I am not a doctor, but the mood swings you describe may be bipolar disorder. Has any doctor ever mentioned that possibility to you? Whether the problem is depression or bipolar disorder, there are many drugs on the market for each, and there seem to be new ones almost every day.

I know you said money is a problem, but what about a free or means-tested sliding scale clinic. Maybe you could get some help that way.

Whatever you decide, we are a warm, welcoming, non-judgmental, and caring bunch. So please feel free to post whatever you would like whenever you feel like it.

Warm welcoming wishes,

Sylvia

11/27/2009 09:33 AM
ascs
ascs  

hey sylvia. Been years i've been thinking its bi-polar but i'm not sure what it is. I can't go to my parents and tell them "I think i'm depressed" they won't understand. Never been to the doctor about anything like this before. Didn't ahve any insurance. I have medacaid right now and thats only cause my mom had a bad injury on her foot cause of a infection on her foot. And they put our money together and the state approved us for medicaid.

11/27/2009 02:17 PM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi April, Medicaid covers mental health issues, so you could start w/ your primary care physician who can either diagnose and treat your problem or send you to a psychiatrist. I looked at your profile, and you are over 18, so the doctor does not need parental permission to help you and the doc can't report anything to them unless you give written permission.

Good luck to you, Sweetie, and please let us know how you're doing. We care.

Sylvia

11/27/2009 07:42 PM
ascs
ascs  

I know that but i currently don't drive and the only way i will be able to go is if I told my parents which i can't do that. Or my friend mary...she thinks im always "happy" when half the time i'm not so i'm pretty much stuck until I get my licence soon.

11/28/2009 07:09 PM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

Hi April Welcome to the depression group. Although many of us here wish we didn't feel this way, we are glad to be with others who understand what we feel. For the most part, I've had depression since my late teen years and all through college, adulthood and through getting married and having children. It has not been an easy road for me but I have pushed my way through it. With some medication and therapy, I am able to live a better quality of life than I would without it. I have done it at times without it too and it can be real rough but one thing, I try to do is find one thing that made me smile for the day. I hope you will find some comfort, understanding and support here. Love, Rachele

Post edited by: Peace4Rach, at: 11/28/2009 07:10 PM

11/28/2009 08:28 PM
ascs
ascs  

Thank you so much Peace! I know. Its hard if you don't have anybody who understand what you are going through. I have a big problem with opening up to other people who aren't on the internet but off the internet i got the big problem there like I was telling syliva I can't tell my parents or my friend Mary thats the problem..

thank you

<3~April

11/29/2009 10:07 AM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

Your welcome April. I think it tends to be easier for some to open up online because it's anonymous to some extend and we're not face to face with people. Some people just find it difficult to express their feelings or may not know what they are feeling or how to express them and there can be many reasons for that diffiulty. Main thing is that you find some kind of outlet in order to express them. With respect to people you are close to and have trouble communicating, maybe you can write them a note or something. I've done that before when I felt like people just didn't here me when I spoke verbally to them. Anyway, you are here and I hope you do find some here that understand and some support. Hugs to you.

11/29/2009 11:45 AM
ascs
ascs  

I do have problems communicating with others. Ive had a speech problem since I was a kid. I'm embarrressed of it. Thats why I have problem meeting new people...like what If i say something stupid to them? but online its total different. Why try to be two different people on and off line? but i can't help it . i'm still me. nothing different about me besides talking more online then offline. I don't know who I can trust. Every time I threatened to kill myself my parents didn't think nothing about and all my times were fail attempts never worked.

11/29/2009 12:06 PM
littlelake62

Oh Hi I am new here. I understand how you might feel about speech. I am just the opsite, I am dyslexic so spelling, reading are very hard. But your right I find happness here I do hope you feel better about things that is why I came here. Everyone has been so nice. Take Care

Renee

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved