MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/28/2012 03:36 PM

Depression and Chronic Pain is driving me crazy

Myriad57

Sad Firstly I want to say that I have been in therapy most of my life and am on meds that have helped me greatly, but it's not perfect.

What comes first the Depression or the Chronic Pain. Maybe it's the Chronic Pain and then the Depression. I just don't know. The harder I try to figure anything out, the worse I feel. Foggy, yucky, like I'm going mad. I know that being with people would be helpful, but when I'm like this I find it hard to be with people. I know I need lots of hugs, but the same people dilemma exists. I have always said that it's a good thing I don't have an addictive personality, cause my drug of choice would be morphine. Years ago, after a surgery, they gave me morphine. I never felt better in my life. I want to feel that way more often. But I've been give this wonderful gift of being overly sensitive to pain. It is driving me crazy. I intimately understand why some people commit suicide. They just don't want to be in their body any more, feeling like this. Not to worry. I am not suicidal.

I came across the words below today and it is so right on. I can't think properly, be with people or function very well generally because I am in so much pain that my brain is too busy trying to fix the problem. I hate how I feel. Haven't been this bad in a long time.

(What happens when your body is in chronic pain. Your brain is busy trying to fix the problem. Pain and depression are closely related. Depression can cause pain — and pain can cause depression. Sometimes pain and depression create a vicious cycle in which pain worsens symptoms of depression, and then the resulting depression worsens feelings of pain)

06/29/2012 12:23 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain. And yes, chronic pain causes depression, depression causes pain to be worse.

May I ask what is causing your pain? And are you taking anything for control?

When my chronic pain has been to high for too long it affects my mind by causing mild-severe memory losses.

Two neuros tole me long lasting pain causes so much stress on the mind it is not uncommon for this to happen.

The remedy is simple...control pain even if pain meds must be changed/upped and/or added to.

Once my pain is controlled my mind becomes crystal clear.

Again, I am sorry and hope you find answers soon.

Hugs

06/29/2012 10:19 AM
Peace77
Peace77  
Group Leader

Myriad...WELCOME to the group. Bits gave you excellent advise. Yes I live with Chronic pain too. It affects my depression very much!!

If you need to be on morphine and a Dr. will prescribe it, they come in patches so you just get so much to wean off if needed.

I'm on a very strong pain med that I only use if my pain is unbearable. I also need my depression meds..and anxiety meds too.

Please dont fear meds, I'm more afraid of Depression...it makes life much harder!!

Blessings Always

Patty

06/30/2012 06:14 AM
Zetsubou
Zetsubou  

Welcome to the group.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're experienceing so much pain, and I know personally how debilitating depression can be.

I'm not sure that there's much point trying to figure out whether the pain or the depression came first, especially if you just end up feeling confused. Sometimes the two can both be the cause of the other - things like this often don't make logical sense.

Hope you feel better soon. Hugs.

07/01/2012 06:47 AM
Peace77
Peace77  
Group Leader

Myriad57...Just wondering how your feeling today. What ailment do you suffer from? I try to block out my pain, but that doesn't work all of the time.

For me Depression was with me from childhood, abuse and neglect. But I thought it was a way of life until things got bad for me as a teenager.

But I developed Chronic pain from a few different ailments..

OA and RSD..both are very severe pain makers , but I do my best to make it through a day at a time.

Please let us know if your doing better and what you suffer from, maybe we can give you some support on how to deal with both...

Caring

Patty

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved