MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/22/2011 02:40 PM

ECT Treatments for Depression

davida5624

Hi

I have posted this before in another forum so I hope I am not running it in the ground

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroconvulsive_therapy

I have been depressed for years and recently tried to commit suicide - 3 times.

I have had 8 ECT treatments and feel totally different and have absolutely no thoughts of hurting myself

My goal is to help someone - anyone. I wish I had known about ECT before I tried suicide

good luck

david a

08/22/2011 05:20 PM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi David and welcome to the group. This is my fourth attempt at writing to you. The computer eats documents - but only when I'm using any kind of MDJ form. I'm glad that you did so well on ECT. I've only heard of one person who did well on it, and she was in her late 80's at the time. So if she lost any memory from the ECT, nobody would know if it was that or her age.

I've known several people who had the treatments, and none of them did well on ECT. Most of them lost chunks of memory (which I already had from being given 30+ drugs for nothing wrong w/ me when my kidneys almost crashed and I almost died because they ignored my doc and gave me over 30 meds I should not have had. Since my body will accept almost no meds for anything, and is particularly aghast at the sheer number of antidepressants we've tried - always w/ plenty of time for the last to be out of my system for weeks before the next. I started reading about ECT, and just the meds they give before treatment would (tmi coming) give me such uncontrollable diarrhea that I'd make a mess of the treatment room. And if I was awake before they took out the mouth plate, I'd be pouring from that orifice also. I have severe reactions to anything that has any chance at all of causing vomiting - and even things that aren't. I was illegally locked up in a dementia ward, and I saw many who were on ECT. Most of them had had the whole treatment series a number of times, and none of them got any better no matter how many times they (mis)treatad them. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The mental hospitals in my area, tho of good reputation, will do anything possible to charge insurance for.

My doc finally gave the whole thing serious thought and agreed it would only make things worse. Also, having been held in a mental ward for 5 weeks, admitted illegally and ordered out by a judge in 2 weeks. Nobody told me that he ordered me out. I only found that out a year later when I got a CD of the entire hearing. The hospital is legally required to give me his signed order along w/ all screening documents that got me in there in the first place on the day of the hearing. Only I didn't know that, and such papers were not even in the supposedly complete reports sent to my doc's office. Most of the info, from 6 hospitals in total, has nothing to do w/ me. Some pages have someone else's name and ID #'s on them. I honestly feel that, at least where I live, there is no healthcare of any kind. Just mismanaged mistreatment. Except for my doc. But nobody listened to anythng he told them and I almost died 3 times as a result.

I guess I'll have to live w/ this until I can't. We'll see what happens then. My doc said not to even think about anything that could work on my depression and/or several serious pain conditions. He said those coming out at what feels like a dozen a week, are all based on the same chemical base as some I already had.

Again, I'm glad this worked for you. I'd be interested in knowing how many treatments you had over how long a period of time, your age, whether you went in-house for a few weeks and any other info you'd like to share. Of course you are not required to answer anthing I've asked. So if you are not comfortable responding, don't. And you needn't give me a reason. It would also be interesting to hear how you're doing as time goes on. When did you have the treatments?

Thanks for passing on good news. We don't get that often because mostly those who have responded well to treatment don't need us anymore.

Take care. I hope the treatment will work permanently for you. BTW, it's not overkill to post the same thing in different groups, as long as the info is pertinent to any group in which you post it. Different people will see them, besides those who see them every time. They have the option of not reading anything again.

Warm welcoming wishes,

Sylvia

Post edited by: Sylvia4648, at: 08/22/2011 05:30 PM

08/22/2011 06:01 PM
davida5624

I am sorry that you are having trouble with meds. That was one of my big problems - I was allergic to everything. I had cancer and radiation treatments 20 yeaes ago and the radiation really did a number on my immune system.

Over the last 3 years I have taken 25 or 30 meds for bipolar and they all made me sick and I felt worse and worse.

I had an ECT treatment this morning and I am sick from the I.V.

I have had about 8 treatments so they will be decreasing them to one a week and maybe once a month. I already had memory loss but I am pretty sure that ECT is not making it any worse.

I have been a patient at The University of Arkansas Med Center for over 20 years and they are great. I just moved back to AR after living in New Jersey for 2 years and the psychiatric care there was awful.

You might be able to get ECT trearments as an inpatient and make them put a diaper on you. I wore diapers for 2 months while I was in the hospital in NJ and they will provide a diaper for me here if I ask for one.

Good luck

David Anderson

08/22/2011 07:38 PM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi David, sorry I didn't see your post until I submitted my second one. There are 3 things (well there are really about 3000, but these 3 fit the topic)that I will not do as long as I have the breath in me to say no; and if I can't say no, I've a medical proxy who will say no for me. One is being put in a mental hospital; 2, being put into ANY hospital, and 3, being put in a diaper. I told my doc if anybody ever brought a diaper in the room I'm in I'd better be dead before I see it. I had to wear those awful things for 6 weeks because that's how long it took for me to be about 75% over the diarrhea from the dozens of drugs that did nothing but permanent injury to parts of my mind and body. Another clue to how those who work w/ mental cases in NJ: I was infected like the devil over much of my body from the diapers. They kept telling me they weren't allowed to order pull=ups. And the nurses just kept smearing me w/ antibiotic ointment - which also adds to my diarrhea prob. A couple of days before I was released an aide who'd been on vacation came to work. I asked her for a diaper and help changing it. (I realized much later, when my mind was 100% in order that they only gave me one because I could use the plastic for - y'all get the idea. We met in the big bathroom. When I took off the diaper she was gob-smacked. She asked why nobody had given me the diapers that are not coated in plastic. I held my breath to keep from going postal. Tho what the heck, they dx'd my subconscious mind as homicidal. Maybe I've a right to kill a few. I'd really like to see someone put bullets in their knee-caps. I have never touched a gun and don't want to; but in this case I'd watch and cheer. The whole thing gave me 6-8 medical problems I did not have before all those meds, and the second time they locked me up on the word of a cop who was angry w/ me for filing a complaint against him, the whole lock-up was based on comments made by the cops - in their 3 earlier 'visits'. I've now been labeled and feel as if I'm in Nazi Germany. I'm terrified of my doorbell. The cops come and tell me some person or another called them and said things I never said. And they'd be back. We had the kindest police in the country untll the long-term chief retired (now works for homeland security) and all the good, kind cops also retired or transferred to other municipalities. Now we apparently can't keep a chief, and the new cops coming in get more and more nasty, and many are cruel. It does not make me feel safe knowing they have a master key to my apartment. But I don't think I've felt safe since 19 June, 1951. So what's more feeling of fear going to do?

I am sorry to hear of your cancer and the results of the treatments. That's another reason they called my judgment bad. I will not have any more cancer screenings of any kind. I dehydrated from a tylenol when it first came out. I obviously can't have chemo. Jim said there's no way I should have radiation, and I can't have surgery. I do not heal properly, and the adhesions can be so bad that I came w/in an hour of dying from adhesions from prior surgery in 1982. And as I said, it took 5 years to be able to take a few steps w/o a cane. Now I need a walker most of the time. I have, btw, a very long list of medical problems. Jim and I once spent an hour trying to list them, and we're still not sure we got all of them. And most of my med reactions are not true allergies; they're intollerances; tho a couple of weeks ago I heard intollerances that are not officially allergies are now being called pseudo-allergic reactions. Sounds fancy, but does nothing to cause my body to suddenly handle meds.

Thanks for the back-up on NJ psych treatment. In spite of what the docs say, I have extraordinary senses and insights. But it's always nice to have a sort of back-up.

Sorry for all the blabbering. I am not doing well physically or mentally. But my hands have just told me to save y'all any more drivel. Thanks to those who read it.

Sylvia

Post edited by: Sylvia4648, at: 08/23/2011 04:58 PM

08/23/2011 03:25 AM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

Hi David, sorry not familiar with the recent ECT treatments and their success rates. I know it is usually the last resort of treatment for serious depression, mood swings and med resistant mood disorders. I don't personally know anyone who has gone that route. I remember the old school ECT treatments. I'm sure they are better than they were but I'm still concerned about what it can do for a person's memory. I suppose one has to have good talk with their doctor, maybe get a second opinion and really weight the risks against the benefits to the treatment. Situations and disorders or diseases may vary in intensity but I won't say it's not the right course for certain individuals, it may be. All I am saying is needs to have considerable thought, discussion with doctors and your own research before undergoing any treatment, espcially if it's invasive like ECT. Glad it has had success for you till now. Keep us updated. Rachele

08/23/2011 09:57 AM
Idagd

I had 4 weeks of practical training (studying to become a nurse) this spring in a ward for patient that had different forms of schizofrenia and psychosis diseases, where I also got to attend when a patient got ECT treatment, and it worked great for her as well, and they had several patients that had good results from ECT, but as Rachele says, of course you have to discuss it troughly with a doctor before taking that step, but when nothing else helpes I think it is great that it's exist Smile

08/23/2011 01:36 PM
davida5624

Thanks

I still think ECT should be an option before a person comes to the end of his rope and gets like I was. All I wanted to do was commit suicide and tried 3 times that I remember.

If I had know about ECT BEFORE I got to the end of my rope I would not have tried to commit suicide.

There is one strange thing happening that I would like to mention. I can taste and smell anesthesia when I am at home. This should go away now that I am going to be having less ECT treatments. Down to 1 a week and then I hope 1 a month

thanks again

david a

08/23/2011 02:07 PM
davida5624

Hi Rachele

ECT is much safer now than it was in the past - the docs have a much better understanding of how it works an how to use it.

I had no choice - it was either try ECT or try suicide again and now I have no thoughts of harming myself.

I have suffered memory loss from all of the meds I tried but so far no problem with the ECT. In fact my wife says my memory is better

thanks

david a

08/23/2011 07:01 PM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

Hi David, I'm glad it worked for you and sounds like you did weigh the benefits against the risks. Since it has been sucessful for you, you made a good choice not to have those suicidal thoughts and ideas anymore. Thanks for shining some light with your experience with ECT. Rachele

08/23/2011 07:54 PM
davida5624

You are very welcome

I just hope I can help someone else

david a

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved