MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/11/2011 08:15 AM

Depression and the common cold

MadelineH

Does anyone's depression seem to get worse or "come back" when you have a bad cold? I seem to sink back into the awful lethargy, icky thinking, low energy that reminds me of when I was down in the hell hole of major depression. Other folks seem to major on when they have a cold, but I really get flattened.....anyone else? MT = many thanks.

05/11/2011 05:30 PM
AsianGoddess

It's easy to be depressed when you're sick. I think with people like us that are prone to stay in a depressed state, it doesn't take much for us to sink into depression. It's raining outside, someone says something hurtful, my car won't start and I'm late for work..etc. When we're "sick" or "not in a good place", we forget to manage our emotions. I think that's the key to our dilemna. We need to manage our emotions, and not allow emotions to manage or get the best of us!

05/11/2011 05:34 PM
mem9113

Unfortunately I am depressed most of the time and I always have alot of triggers lately, my son being incarcerated, my daughter spending all her time with the inlaws and acts like she doesn't know where we live and just the stresses of life, bills, not feeling well so I can't clean my house the way I use to makes me depressed, not knowing my purpose makes me depressed, I could write a bookSmile

06/25/2012 09:10 PM
walks42

Yes!!! And you have described it so perfectly. In fact that's why I logged on to find any info about. My depression is definitely not out of control, but I've been under the weather and suddenly everything seems so bleak. I've wondered if there was any connection. You really hit the nail on the head.

06/25/2012 09:34 PM
Peace77
Peace77  
Group Leader

Welcome Walks42!!!

Yes, the common cold can bring us down..as well as a long term illness..

But thats a situational Depressed state of mind. If the depression hangs along longer than the cold...thats where you may need to talk it out some more...

Otherwise, take some tylenol..Get much needed rest...Get well Soon...Those summer colds are miserable!!!

Be Well

Patty

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved