MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/10/2011 04:27 PM

Citalopram

Fallen
Fallen  

Went to the doc today and am finally going back on depression meds. He prescribed citalopram. Ive never even heard of this one. Has anyone or is anyone on this. Im just curios

02/10/2011 04:46 PM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey Fallen I have definately heard of it and knew people that takes it and it helped them.. I personally have never been on it. I do hope it works well for you sweetie keep us posted. I have missed your posting. Many Blessings!

02/10/2011 07:35 PM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Fallen, citalopram is the generic for Celexa. It's a pretty common anitdepressant. I am currently trying it, but I've not taken it long enough to know what it will or won't do. I know that my doc says he's a number of patients on it and they are doing well.

Hope that helps some.

Best,

Sylvia

02/11/2011 02:48 AM
fairyqueen
fairyqueen  
VIP Member

I'm glad you went to the doctor Fallen - I hope the meds help - fingers crossed! X

02/14/2011 08:56 AM
Fallen
Fallen  

Thanks everyone! I started taking it yesterday and so far I'm not noticing anything different. How long does it take for side effects to kick in (if I ever do get any that is-i know that sometimes you don't have any side effects)?

02/28/2011 01:34 AM
sibby

I was on it for about 8 years, decided to stop taking it when I was about 15 and it stopped working as well. Never had any major side effects on it, though I think it lowered my appetite a bit.

02/28/2011 03:06 AM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Sibby and welcome to the group. I'm sorry that you need us but glad to have you aboard. I hope you will get the support you need from us. And I look forward to getting to know you. We are warm and non-judgmental, so you may post whatever you like. And when you feel more comfortable w/ us, maybe you will tell us your story.

Warm welcoming wishes,

Sylvia

02/28/2011 03:33 AM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Fallen, you are right in that some people do not have side effects, but if you do, I think they start w/in days of your first dose, and they often go away as your body adjusts to the med.

Re when they will begin to help you, all antidepressants are known to start working sometime w/in 4-6 weeks at the outside, but generally they start to have positive effects before that - often w/in 2 weeks. So the answer is any time between now and 6 weeks from now. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I lost my chrystal ball. Sad I hope that will ease your mind while you are waiting.

Please come back and let us know how you're doing. We care. I hope that you will be lucky and they'll start quickly. My Teddy Bear sends you a warm gentle hug and he will be praying for a fast result for you.

Regards,

Sylvia

Post edited by: Sylvia4648, at: 02/28/2011 03:34 AM

02/28/2011 08:39 AM
Fallen
Fallen  

Thanks. I haven't noticed any side effects but I haven't noticed getting better either and i've been on it for oh jeez um 2 weeks maybe? I'm to sick and tired to remember right now. Things are kind of crazy in the life of Cassie right now. How is everyone else doing?

02/28/2011 12:47 PM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

Cassie, sounds like it seems to be working well for you in the 2 weeks which is a good sign. I've never taken Celexa.

Sibby, its common for people who take ab antidepressant for a long time, years to loose it's original effictiveness. Docs tend to change when and if that happens.

So far, Cassie you seem to be tolerating and improving from it and it may even get better. So good luck with that. I just had a change to Pristiq, so far so good a week. We shall see. Hugs, Rachele

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved