MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/24/2008 04:00 AM

depression and suicidal friend

myers37
myers37Posts: 48

Hello; I have a friend who recently was in the hospital for a week for a suicide attempt. She has been hospitalized many times before.

I have had thoughts of suicide before, also, but have not been hospitalized for several years. I can somewhat relate, but I have got to the point where I really dont know what to say anymore or how to help her.

Sometimes I call her and she doesn't seem to want to talk to me, so I try and respect her feelings, but wish she would open up more.

Any suggestions?

myers37

11/24/2008 06:22 AM
jsrdrnr
jsrdrnr  

What I need in these situations is someone who is simply there. I dont need a lot of talking or a lot of activities. Someone simply coming over an watching TV with me says a lot. It shows that they are there and that they care. It also shows that they are willing to wait until I am willing or able to talk. When I am suicidal I am so down on myself that I dont want to bring anyone else down and I refuse to talk, but the company is a good thing for me. The best thing anyone ever did for me was a friend that brought over a movie that she knew I liked. We fixed some popcorn, got some cokes, and just enjoyed the movie. She told me that she was there when I was ready no matter if that was tonight or two years from now. I would say to you, to be patient and gentle and let her know you are there for her. Continue to call and check in and if she does not want to talk, then it is okay. You dont have to say anything significant really, you just have to be available. I hope this helps you some. I hope others can give you more insight by saying what works for them in these situations.

11/25/2008 05:49 AM
Grizgirl
Grizgirl  

Sometimes just having someone there is good. You dont need to have an intense conversation. You could talk about outside things, hobbies, etc. Or just read her a short story.

Continue to call and check in. In the long run, she will appreciate that!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved