MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/21/2012 02:30 PM

Anger Turned Inward?

mem6684

I have heard that depression is sometimes or maybe always anger turned inward. Right now I relate to that so much. For a while I was feeling angry about some things towards people I don't know that well (staff at my pcp's office). Because that anger cannot be fully expressed nor has the bit I have expressed been validated in any satisfactory way, I now find myself feeling dull, lethargic, depressed.

I think my anger was rational given the circumstances, but it hasn't been 'received' or attended to so I don't know how to deal now. I could keep repeating myself, but that has not gotten me anywhere so far and I don't want to be viewed as a pain.

I feel at a loss as to what to do now, re them and my feelings.

08/21/2012 02:44 PM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey Pet I know when your in certain circumstances that cause anger and you cannot properly deal with them it seems to make depression worse. I am not one to hold things in very well if it bothers me I will just talk to them about it..

I don't know what the situation was but maybe you could address it with them and let them know how much it bothered you. Sometimes people have no ideal unless we tell them we are left stewing and they don't have a clue..I hope you can figure it out!!Many Blessings!

08/21/2012 02:57 PM
Peace77
Peace77  
Group Leader

Hi Pet

Its nice to meet you. I feel depression is not anger turned inward, but more like anger is released easier when aggravated. I have seen this more with my son, but I usually will confront someone like..Is there a problem with what I sad? Just as an example.

As Viv said, you should talk it out with them. They may not really know what you referred to when you were angry.

I think we are more sensitive with Depression, at least I know , I am.

Hope this works out for you..

Hugs of Peace Always

08/21/2012 03:37 PM
Torres15
Torres15  
VIP Member

I see anger as depression turned inward toward me but it is usually anger at myself.

Anyone here watch M*A*S*H? The psychiatrist on there described it as: Anger turned inward is depression, anger toward outward is agression, anger turned sideways is Hawkeye?

08/21/2012 03:41 PM
mem6684

I expressed my frustration and hurt very clearly (after leaving 3 messages asking for a response to a specific question about preveious messages getting 'lost'). The response I got was very short and dismissive with zero acknowledgment of my feelings or understanding of why I would be upset at all Sad.

08/21/2012 04:26 PM
Peace4Rach
Peace4Rach  
VIP Member

I'm sorry Petirrojo the responses you got were not what you hoped for. I am glad that you did express it anyway. It's unfortunate that some people just may not listen or understand and thereby don't acknowledge anothers' feelings. They are your feelings and they are important. I have to agree in that depression is anger turned inward but so important to express it someway. If you get nowhere with the person you are angry with. Write a letter, you don't have to mail it but get the feelings out in some way. With depression some people stuff the feelings down. I have in the past stuffed mine down with food. Other's self-harm, some drink, or find other ways to self-medicate. I suppose it's easier to be angry than depressed for most people. Either emotion needs to be expressed in a healthy way. Know that you did good expressing your feelings to them, even if they didn't acknowledge it. That's a reflection of them, not you Petirrojo. Hugs, Rachele

08/22/2012 06:44 AM
mem6684

Thank you very much. I have done the self-destructive acts of various kinds, including food, many times. I guess it is good I am not doing that now. I am isolating.

I left a message with someone different yesterday afternoon. If I cannot get some resolution to this soon, I think I am going to switch doctors. Right now I have zero trust there and am not willing to make an appointment.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved