MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/22/2010 07:21 AM

radial tunnel surgery aftermath advice please

heatfan03

hey all,

had radial tunnel surgery for nerve entrapment in my left forearm in july. had been dealing with chronic painf or 3 years from the age of 16 to 19 and the offseason from tennis came ( I am a college tennis player) and decided surgery was my only option left after all over options were exhausted.

doctor said straight out to myself and parents after that it was the worst case he had ever seen and he is regarded as one of the best surgeons in the country being the surgeon for multiple professional sports teams.

anyway began rehab and stuff in september and well the surgery doesnt seem to have helped. im back to mostly normal stuff now but i woke up today and arm is throbbing

on top of this i have some mental issues including depression bipolar and anxiety and although those are very well under control (as much as that stuff can be haha) I am writing to make sure i keep on top of this injury to ensure those levels dont change.

this pain now is awful and i am scared to think i will go through this every day now. my tennis career could be over and im scared for that.

ive read on lots of forums of people who take prescription pain killers such as vikodin and stuff daily. i had i think vikodin and percocet after the surgery so i have taken them before and they helped post op but can those help on a daily basis. ive read that the body can require more the more you take and i dont like taking pills unless necessary and wouldnt want to be taking more and more all the time but right now i am just trying to find anything to help with this pain.

advice suggestions please

(fwiw i do everything over the counter now from icing always after excercise but nothing is helping right now (ice advil etc )

11/22/2010 10:31 AM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

Hi

Congrats on the surgery. You are now in another transition stage. It is one of wonder...I wonder what life will be like now.

Tennis is very important in your life...but for me getting rid of the pain is more important. Who knows how you will be able to play after.

Remember that Bi-polar, Anxiety, and Depression are things that cause unrealistic and dysfunctional thinking. Why did I do this surgery? Nothing will change? I'll never play tennis again. or I can do it all.

You have a challenge before you however you have

courage. You have survived this long with thoes conditions and you will continue on.

11/23/2010 08:24 PM
scorpioj
scorpioj  
Group Leader

Ginag gave great advice,I agree with what the message given has to say -just a transition and new chapter in your life to see where it will take you.

Take care, enjoy the journey,look for the good

Abundance of joy and peace to you

scorpioj

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved