MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/29/2012 04:58 PM

Tips for dealing with stress and a fibro flare up

BHartford
BHartford  

Ok, I have had an extremely bad week. First, while I was at work and my kids were home alone, actually a lot of kids were at my house, some pervert was peaking in the windows at the kids and trying to scare them. He came back later that week, and hit the wall outside of my bedroom window to scare me. No one has been able to catch him yet. Then someone got into my freezer on my porch and stole all of my meat out of it. My husband used my truck to jump our van and shorted out my battery and alternator on my truck, leaving us with no vehicles for a few days. Then on Friday night my son who is 14 went to a bon fire. The parents went inside, and left the kids outside at the fire alone. He tripped over a log and his hand went into the fire giving him mostly first and second degree burns, but a small are which is a third degree burn. The stress has flared up my fibro something fierce, and also kicked in my depression somewhat.

A few days ago I sent pm's to the members and asked what topics they wanted to talk about. another member mentioned that they would like to discuss tips for dealing with fibro flares and depression and stress. I think this was a great idea. There was one day I was so bad that I found myself curled up in a little ball shaking and crying from the pain and depression. Why don't we spend some time giving each other some tips for how we deal with horrible weeks like this. How do you prepare for a flare up? How do you cope with such a bad flare up? How do you try and deal with the depression that accompanies all of this? I know I could use some tips, and I bet other members could to. Let's see what we can come up with here to help each other. Silly

05/01/2012 01:03 PM
Annelle
Annelle  

I recently started a new job and can't believe how much the stress has made my body ache!

I've learned a trick where you close your eyes and think about a part of your body and relax it. Your back, your shoulders, your arms. One by one relax them. It's helped a lot doing that.

As for the depression....I take it day by day. Sometimes I don't even realize how depressed I've been until it's over. It's become part of my life, and I do my best to keep living and going despite depression.

I have my Christian beliefs to rely on, too. I continually remind myself that God means nothing but good to come out of my life, even if I have to struggle through that life.

05/03/2012 02:22 AM
BHartford
BHartford  

Those sound like great tips for dealing with a flare up. Meditation has proven benefits for everyone, and especially people who are stressed or have medical issues. Starting a new job definitely fits under the stress category. I hope in time it becomes less stressful for you and your fibro is effected less and less each day because of it. If you think of any more tips, feel free to post them. We all need all of the help we can get. Blink

05/03/2012 06:15 PM
kildare56
kildare56  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

A note about stress. Many think of stress as being related to negatives in our lives (job loss, house foreclosed, failed a test, broke up with "the one" etc.

There are many stressors. Moving, a promotion or a raise, getting married or divorced, a baby, a new car ...

The point is that stress is usually caused by change and change may be positive as well as negative. Who thought getting that CD you've wanted for so long could cause you physical pain?

05/13/2012 04:32 AM
lamblite

Hi x I had stress at work this week and have ended up in bed all weekend with terrible neck and shouler pain!! What i call stress would probably be every day stuff for other people, but i always feel that i never do anything as well as others, iv got very low self esteem, so when a comment is made thats whenmy stress starts! Does that make sense to anyone? I take antidepressants every day and wonder if they actually work ! Less of the moody talk lamblite, how is everyone today x x

05/16/2012 04:14 PM
BHartford
BHartford  

I also struggle with criticism of others. Each day is a struggle. I have had a very bad few weeks with my depression. This is a place where we can come a talk about what is upsetting us without fear of criticism or ridicule. Never worry about talking about how you are feeling, what makes you feel that way, or asking questions. This is how we are able to help each other. If we don't talk about it, then how will anyone know that we need help? The answer is that they won't, and then this site would not work. Cool Many days we feel as if our lives have been turned upside down, whether it is from out depression or our fibro. Silly We are always here! Wink Back to your question. If you are noticing that you are having problems with your depression like you mentioned in your post, then it may be time to go and talk to the doc again. I know from time to time some people need to change their medications because they stop working. It certainly won't hurt to go and talk to them. If anything, it may help. Have faith, one day soon I am sure that you will feel better!

05/17/2012 05:00 AM
lamblite

Hi and thanks for reply x I have mentioned to my doctor about feeling more depressed at times and she did mention changing to other medication. However this would mean taking time to come off my present tablet and reducing it, and that is the reason i say no, I dont think i would cope with less antidepressant in my system!!! Would it be worth it do you thinK? ShockedAs i live in scotland theres not even any lovely sunshine to cheer me up Dizzy Wink

Post edited by: lamblite, at: 05/17/2012 05:03 AM

05/17/2012 07:46 AM
BHartford
BHartford  

I know that right now things are very challenging for you. Depression can be a fickle thing. The important thing here is that you know, see, and understand that there is a problem. Sad Recognizing there is a problem is half of the battle. Dizzy Depression can turn your entire life topsy turvey!Silly Now, please remember what I say here is just my opinion, I am not a doctor and my opinion solely comes from my personal experiences. I know that you are already battling the depression, however the current medication does not seem to be effective for fighting your symptoms.It will be difficult to deal with the increased symptoms of the depression while decreasing the medication that you are currently taking in order to try and find a new medication that may work better for you in the long run. However, we are here for you during this time. Surround yourself with those that can be supportive and forewarn them of what you are doing, why, and the possibility of increased symptoms of depression in advance. This could help to keep you grounded during the process. What you have to remember is that you deserve to be happy, and what you are currently doing is not working. Think of the good times and realize that you can have them again!Laughing While this may be a very tough thing to do, the end results could well be worth it! I hope this helps.

05/20/2012 06:21 AM
lamblite

Thanks for ur advice on depression and medication x I am feeling very low today for no reason so i think when i see my doctor in two weeks i will say to her again. I also need to have a blood test and urine test repeated so im having a great time just now Silly Its so good having someone to talk to at these times. I feel those around me do but dont understand, if you know what i mean!! I actually work in a hospital and guess what, anyone i mention fibro to has never heard of it, even though there is a poster about it on the wall at rheumatology department Wassat Now and then i wonder if i should mention it to my supervisors, who usually cause me a lot of stress, but it would be like talking to the wall W00t I am a domestic there so it means a lot of physical work which sometimes causes a lot of pain, but....i dont want this fibro to take over my life Pinch sorry this is su ch a long moan but im sure everyone understands, many thanks xxxx

05/22/2012 10:49 AM
BHartford
BHartford  

I do understand what you are trying to say. I also get the looks and comments of what is that, or how did you get that? Also, the look of oh for goodness sake, something else wrong with her. It is not something they can simply catch and therefore will more than likely never understand no matter how good their intentions. Honestly, the only ones I even talk to about it anymore are the people here and my son and oldest daughter. My heavens I PRAY that they will never develop this. As for saying something to you work, that is a tough question. Is there any way they can lighten your load if you do say something to them, or will they get the impression that you can no longer do you job effectively? I would hate to see you loose your job if you are determined to keep working. Let me know about what you think their response will be.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved