MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/01/2012 04:10 PM

Fibromaylgia is it in my head?

sweetdog1

Hello..New to the group. I was just diagnosed with fibro. I think I've had it for about 2 years. It gets worst and worst. So many knots in my shoulders, neck and arms... I been advised to go see a therapist because I think I'm depressed. Always crying, I feel so vulnerable. I just had surgery in November as well for an abscess colon.

I'm trying to apply for disability. Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

03/05/2012 08:19 AM
kildare56
kildare56  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi sweetdog! Excuse me for being late in welcoming you to this group. It's no excuse, but I've been physically and mentally down for several days. Believe it or not, I actually understand the fibro, the depression and the colon surgery. My surgery was not on the colon though. I had what they call a right colectomy. To skip the boring parts, it means I had two feet of intestine removed due to a condition called Chrohn's Disease. Let's just say it is of unknown cause and has no cure, so it and I are now one.

I would like to speak about the words you chose to title your post. You have probably been told in the past that these things were "in your head" or "it's just your nerves". I can't tell you how many years I heard that lame form of comment from doctors who should have been saying "I don't know what is causing your pain.".

I hope you are currently seeing someone for the Fibro. Do whatever they ask, even if it sounds odd (as long as it isn't endangering). I say this because if you don't, I'll guarantee someone in the future will say "She refused to even try the recommended therapy!". If it appears dangerous to you, do your homework and record your concerns. If the doctor cannot assure you that the concerns are at best minor, then you have the fall back position of your research.

Depression is every doctor's favorite misdiagnosis. All it means is they have no idea, but you show signs of depression. Guess what? People in constant pain are not really cheerful! Of course you are depressed! Where it gets tricky is that depression and Fibro "feed" each other. The answer is to see the therapist and have your very real depression treated WHILE you are treating the Fibro. No therapist can cure Fibro. So, you need both.

If your doctor wants you to go to pain management, then go! You want to be a cooperative patient who also develops her own knowledge base by reading info available on line. They will see the difference in your questions and show you more respect.

I am also happy you are in the other groups you've joined. The Social Security group has probably warned you of a long struggle ahead. It takes strength, determination and a certain expectation that SSA will mess with you a lot. Expect at least two denials and appeals. If you have not yet applied, be sure to include your depression. The doctor said it, so use it! If you have applied and did not mention it, then call them and update the application about the depression.

The biggest thing to remember is that it IS real and not in your head! It's a condition only recognized officially within the recent past, so some doctors don't believe it exists. Always too, come back to this or whichever sites give you the most comfort. You are not alone by any stretch of the imagination. Please feel free to post when you want or even send me a private message should you prefer that.

We are here for you!

03/09/2012 08:09 PM
sweetdog1

Hi. Since my first post, The doctors have tried Savella and Cymbalta. I see a Psychatrist on Monday and don't even know where to start when talking to her. I've worked all my life (last job was 23 years and got laid off in 2008)... Today the doctor (Rheumatologist) thinks I may have Polymyalgia Rheumatica and the only treatment is steriods... I don't want to take steriods.. Anyhow, I'll know more next week after he gets my lab test results. I am taking everything the doctor tells me too but all the meds make me sick.. severe side effects. I was on Cymbalta 3 days and I thought I was going to crazy...blurred vision, couldn't talk, headaches... weird. There has been a couple of days that I say "WOW I feel great... but by night time I am sore, stiff and in pain)... Take you for your response and welcoming me to the group.

03/09/2012 08:52 PM
kildare56
kildare56  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well, where the shrink is concerned, don't worry about it. If she's any good at all, she will help you to say what you need to. Please look up the info on steroids. I do not like them for long term use, but I have had to use them. Short term won't hurt you. All meds can have side effects. Don't let fear of side effects stop you from taking meds, but make certain your doctor knows what problems you feel. Please remember that it is a process for all of us. It can take time to get the meds right. You are doing the right things and you should be proud of yourself for that. You have to celebrate every victory, no matter how small it seems. You are smart and courageous. How can you not win in the end? You will do this. I do believe in you.

03/12/2012 10:17 PM
sweetdog1

Thank you Kildare for all the support. I really appreciate it. Met with my Psychatrist today. She was very nice. I've been referred to a therapist. Again, thank you so much for the support.

03/13/2012 11:43 AM
kildare56
kildare56  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That is why we all come here sweetdog. You will be doing that yourself very soon. I am happy things went well!

11/21/2012 06:26 AM
dogdame
dogdame  

what has happen? did you get disability...should have by now i would think. Also did you go see a counselor..trick is finding right one. Plus one that gets all the diseases and how they affect you emotionally.

I have tried so many different counselors with still thinking my original one of 20 years ago was and is the best still...but she lives to far.

I did have another great one but she moved...i noticed this place i moved too that many people come and go in it.

Massage can help with knots...baths with epsom salts really helps for at least hour at least but for me few hours to 3/4 at most on average..2-3. Cold makes it tons worse so hope you do not live in snow country.

Let me know how you are doing! have happy thanks giving day....joyful day full of love and laughter! Tongue

11/30/2012 02:12 PM
sweetdog1

Hi dogdame,

I am waiting for my court date. Went back to work on a temp assignment and had to quit after 2 months. It was so hard. Everday I was in so much pain working on the computer. pain in my arms, neck shoulder and back. The fibro along with the arthritis. I actually could not take my meds until I got home because they make me sleepy. I would come home at 5 pm and go to bed a 6 and not wait up until 6 the next morning. So tired. Also the stress of working and having to think, think think... so hard to concentrate. I went back to my buyer position which was basically clerical work.

I am so stressed because I can no longer afford med insurance. I am 55 years old and really can't work at anything else.

12/12/2012 01:26 AM
lovesanimals

you need to find a doc that can do the correct pain pressure points on you to find out for sure if it is fibro, so that you can get on the right pain meds that wont put you to sleep. and you can still work. also there are depression meds that wont make you sleepy either. yes i take cymbalta now as well. and i see that you are in a group called disabililty for fibromalyagia..i cannot get on disability with my fibro. it has not been recognized..*sigh*

12/12/2012 01:39 AM
lovesanimals

I did not see all of the posts before i posted..sorry. but i will just add to my comments. i hope that you did not think i meant that i was thinking..oh i bet it could be in their head..NO, not at all!!!. i (sorry it hurts my hands to press the shift key to cap, so i dont always use it) lol. but anyway, it took about 3 years before i was finally diagnosed with fibro, and during that time i felt like my family did not understand what i meant when i would say..i cant i hurt to much to have you hug, or even touch me..hunny i love you, but i dont have a headache, i just cant make love with you as all my body hurts today. I was soooooooooo happy to finally be able to have a name to put to it!!!.

it is still hard, because pain does not "show", there are no bruises, no bumps. my muscles dont bulge, they dont become red when i feel like i have a super bad sun burn.

hang in there. ((((((hugs softly)))))

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved