MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/25/2012 11:40 PM

Could I have cyclothmia

Catmac

First of all I am a 16 going on 17 female and for about a year now things haven't exactly been great. I often find myself flipping between being really high then very depressed and in between I just feel emotional numb. When it's a good day I feel invincible, I can literally change the world and everyone has underestimated exactly what I am capable of ( basically I think I am Gods gift). This will normally last for a few days then I can become really depressed. I lose all ambitions and goals nothing interests me my friends just irritate me and I avoid speaking to people as much as possible. As my sister pointed out I am just hanging around waiting to die. I wake up in the morning and unless I have school I struggle to find a reason to drag myself out of bed. In between these episodes I don't feel anything at all really. It's as if I am on auto pilot and just drifting about not doing much. For a while I could manage these fluctuations in moods but since the beginning of the year things have just nose dived. I've started drinking heavily; every time a friend has a party I just go and get smashed to try to lose control and feel normal. Whatever that means. But now that's not working as much as it used to so I've taken up smoking and one I've exhausted that route we all know what comes next, drugs. I can't let that happen. I don't know if this is relevant either but I really don't like change, I find it difficult making friends. I think I could cope with constantly feeling in a "high" mood or just depressed but what I can't take anymore is waking up in the morning and thinking "What will it be today? Happy? Sad? or Nothing?". I can't take the uncertainty of it. I know at my age hormones play a big part in things but is it supposed to be like this?

I guess what I want to know is I have been this way for a year and it's getting worse. Is it hormones or is it something else? if so what could it be

I would go and see my doctor or talk to someone but I'm scared they'll tell me I'm just over reacting and I should just suck it up and get on with it or even worse I'm just looking for attention. Am I over reacting? Am I being attention seeking?

04/26/2012 05:05 AM
rainegirl
rainegirl  

I'm not a doctor, and I really can't tell you if you have any form of bipolar. As scary as it is, you need to go to the doctor and seek a psychiatric consult if you believe you might be suffering from a mental illness. An alternative might be to speak to your GP about your symptoms, and see if there is any counselling your GP could refer you for. If you don't like your GP, or don't feel comfortable with them, ask to see an alternative doctor in the same practice.

Being a teenager does make it harder, because it can be difficult to differentiate between mood swings caused by some form of bipolar, and those caused by hormones. That doesn't mean it's good to ignore worrying symptoms though. I first became symptomatic at 14, but I didn't go to a doctor until my early twenties because I dismissed it as hormones. A psychiatrist will be able to look at your mood and behavioural history, and give you a diagnosis if your symptoms point to one.

I really hope you'll make an appointment to see your GP, and update us all on how you're doing.

04/26/2012 05:11 AM
sabriah

The best things for you to do would be to seek the help of a medical professional and to keep a journal. Journals are invaluable for helping diagnose bipolar type conditions, even seasonal depression etc. If yoou do see a doc and they tell you you're over reacting it is far better than them telling you you have bipolar. A few friends of mine had hormonal type conditions in high school that they no longer have to deal with yet here I am getting no relief from the mood rides half a dozen years later. There are other things that it could be also, bipolar usually takes years to diagnose as do similar types of conditions - I certainly had it from my preteen years undiagnosed for nearly a decade.

I know it is scary talking to someone about it - i certainly try not to talk to people about it but that is exactly why I am having alot of difficulties right now. Please have more courage than I did at your age and actually talk to them about it...when I finally did they didn't treat me like a crazy person or someone overreacting and if you feel that way then find another person you do feel comfortable talking to.

04/26/2012 10:44 AM
wisewuman

From time to time, we get teenagers posting on this site with similar feelings. Teenage years are a confusing time for a number of reasons e.g. powerful hormones, physical changes, life/lifestyle changes, learning about yourself & your purpose in life, adjusting to young adulthood etc. Nevertheless, it could be more than that so it's important to see a doctor and be open & honest with them. You could print off your post and take it to a doctor for them to read.

04/27/2012 08:42 AM
nurse932

There is a fine line between mental wellness and illness. Think of a line horizontal line with the middle perfect health. The further it goes on one side it tips the mental balance and causes more distress.

The question here is: At what point does wellness end and illness start? When does a person warrant diagnosis and treatment?

That all depends on how the individual is able to function. If the symptoms are disrupting the person for living a healthy life, that's when a diagnosis is warranted.

The question you should be asking yourself is how much your moods affect your ability to cope in school, with friends, and in your family life. If you are in distress, you should go for help. What diagnosis you have is not the point for you to worry about. The diagnosis is only made for the physician to treat the person. Different medications work better for different illnesses. What might help for one illness may be detrimental for the other, and different therapies work better for different illnesses as well.

These are the reasons for the DSM IV. Leave the diagnosis for the doctor and work on your recovery.

04/28/2012 09:09 AM
wisewuman

Well explained nurse932. I particularly agree that you have to look at how much of the quality of your life is affected.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved