MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/26/2011 10:05 AM

Birth Control = Big No No

boysinabooth
boysinabooth  

After being diagnosed with Superior Vena Cava (SVC) Syndrome just a month ago, I have been to a few doctors in the meantime. And I have found some big news that I didn't know anything about. I have been on birth control simply because I have really bad menstrual cramps and it was a last resort and it has helped me. I have told all of my doctors this and that I am not using it as a means of birth control because I am having sex. I'm waiting til marriage. Anyway, all my doctors have KNOWN THIS INFORMATION SINCE I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CROHN'S DISEASE.

Birth control can cause blood clots in very rare instances. Guess what? By having Crohn's Disease, even without any type of birth control, you're already at a higher risk of getting blood clots because it's an autoimmune disease. So, I had been on birth control since my diagnosis. Along with my recent diagnosis of SVC Syndrome, I discovered that I have blood clots all in my chest, arms, neck, and back. My GI thinks that the birth control could have contributed to it.

Just a word of advice, talk to your doctor about the birth control you are on. Blood clots are scary and they could potentially put you on another medicine for the rest of your life. There are other forms of birth control for those who are actually using it for what it is supposed to be used for Tongue Just want everyone to be aware!!

05/03/2011 08:49 AM
autumn3843
autumn3843  

Thank you for the information Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved