MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/20/2008 11:49 AM

My son has Crohn's

Momlisa1

Hi Everyone,

I found out last Thursday that my 9 year old son has Crohn's. It was a very long few weeks as I watched my son lose lots of wieght and get sicker everyday. We were lucky enogh to find a great Doctor and hopefully he will get us on the right track. I wanted to join because I have heard horror stories and I need to know first hand from real people what to expect and just to know my son is not the only one. They say he is on the young side of this disease so if there is anyone else out there with a child or was diagnosed as a child I would love to chat about what to expect and what to do to help him with the pain.Does it ever go away? will he ever be his enegetic self again. I know these are all questions that I can ask his doctor but I hate to bother them everytime I think of something, which is almost every hour right now. Thanks for listening.

05/20/2008 03:28 PM
Signs
SignsPosts: 335

Welcome to the group Momlisa, hope you will find the support you are searching for in the group. I sure hope your son gets better soon.

05/21/2008 06:01 PM
DancinGrl
DancinGrlPosts: 48

I hope your son feels better. I wasn't diagnosed till I was eighteen, but when I was in remission I had energy and played sports with friends. Welcome to the group. I hope this helps you.

05/21/2008 09:50 PM
Sher
Sher  

From one mom to another I would like to help if I can. My son was 8 when diagnosed with crohns.

05/21/2008 10:21 PM
jodee102

sher, is your son on a special diet?

05/22/2008 10:20 AM
Momlisa1

Right now he is not on a special diet. He still is just on the steroid to get his immune system better, but they have said to let him eat whatever he wants besides fiber as of now. He lost 7 pounds in a week and a total of 12 in a year so I think they want him to get some of his weight back on. Thanks Lisa

05/22/2008 10:24 AM
Momlisa1

That makes me feel alot better because he is having the most problems right now by not being able to play baseball. He plays baseball, football, and basketball and is on a USSSA baseball team, and his biggest fear is that his legs will always hurt and he wont be able to play again. Thanks so much Lisa

05/22/2008 10:34 AM
Momlisa1

Thank you so much for responding because I would love to hear your sons story. Everyone keeps telling me he is on the young side of this disease and I haven't heard of any other kids that have it, which is scary. How old is your son now? Did Crohns have a huge impact or since he was little did it not seem to bother him as much? How did you explain it? I have tried and he understands most but theres just some things that I think he just doesn't understand. Is there anything that you have found to make the pain better? How often did he have flare ups? As I said thanks so much. Lisa

05/22/2008 10:35 AM
sallie

My son was about 23 when it started, but would not go to a Doctor till about the age of 25. He lost about 30 pounds within a month....but as I said, would NOT go till about 2 years later.

My understanding is that normally the disease strikes at an older age than even in their 20s, but children as young as 8 and 9? That is so awful. I hope that research and new medical information will assist greatly. My son is on some sort of medication, but eventually may end up having to do the remicaid infusions. I feel so bad for all of the sufferers. Blessings to you all.

05/25/2008 08:42 PM
Sher
Sher  

He's not on a special diet right now, he can't seem to eat anything, He's going on Remicade, any one been on it, it scares me.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved